An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Glucosamine for joints?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Could someone tell me what kind of Glucosamine I should get to give to a dog? And how much should be given based on weight? I know she's not a cocker but our sheltie is getting lame and having a harder time getting up and down lately. I read somewhere that glucosamine is good for the hips and joints in older dogs and would love to try some on her to see if it helps. Our vets here where I live haven't heard of it for animals so thought I would ask here.
Thank you for any and all info in regards to this question.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

Post subject: Re: Glucosamine for joints?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:14 pm 
Active Forum Member

Do you have a Trader Joes near you? They sell a Glucosamine/Chondroitin formulated especially for dogs. When Snoopy was having a leg/hip problem we tried it and had a good outcome. It took about 6 weeks for it to kick in but it was worth the wait. He was on it for about 6 months then I took him off of it to see if he still needed it. Snoopy has made a fully recovery and no longer takes it but I would recommend using it and would use it again if Snoopy ever had joint problems again. On the bottle it does give a recommended dosage according to the weight of the dog. I hope this information has been helpful. It cost about $10 per bottle. Each bottle contains 100 tablets.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 am 
Active Forum Member

My last dog took glucosamine and it was just the human kind (which is actually basically the knock off of the pet variety which came out first but it's price is usually better). The vet told me it didn't make much difference which the dog took (vet variety or human) except in terms of money spent.

Anyway, that dog was 40 lbs and took a 500 mg a day. Now what you have to watch is if you get one of the kinds that is a mix of glucosamine and something else like MSM (which is good for inflammation) as the dose decreases/pill so check the fine print on the bottle so you know how many you have to give to get 500 mg of the glucosamine. The dose itself is pretty flexible and mine took the 500 until her arthritis progressed a couple of years later and the vet said to just double it. So no damage from taking too much I guess. A pharmacist I spoke with said they have found no side effects from it at all so I felt okay doubling her dose.

With my dog, the stuff I got came in caps and she didn't much like the powder in those caps so I used to have to mix it in something. For her, she loved it in tomato juice or milk but it had to be mixed in really well, no lumps at all (those little coffee whip things work really well for this). I think it's pretty bitter because she wouldn't take it in peanut butter or the usual things at all but in a liquid, it was okay. They also make a liquid glucosamine now so that may be worth a try.

For my dog, she showed a real and obvious improvement at 3 weeks. It was like one day she was her usual stiff ol' self and the next was getting up and running around like a pup again. When I saw that I started to take it too and sure enough, at about 3 weeks it felt like my joints had all been oiled or something. They just moved more easily, no grinding or popping. It really is great stuff for joints that aren't co-operating like they used to.

Jean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:12 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Ginger (7) is on Dasuquin with MSM which has glucosamine in it. When we adopted Ginger from the shelter she was positive for Lymes, she was treated for it however seems to have a hip problem that comes on slowly and gets quite painful for her. After the 2nd time our vet put her on the Dasuquin to see if it would stop these episodes from happening. As there wasn't any neurological or spinal reason for the pain. She has been on it since early Spring and hasn't had a reocurrance yet (knock on wood). I think the bottle was like $25 or something with 84 tablets. Dosage is by weight and the first four weeks the dosage is higher, then the maintainance dose is lower. So Ginger gets half a tablet daily and I am still on the same bottle yet, I know I have forgotten to give it to her a few times this Summer.

Good luck, hope it works for your dog!

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I use a very good product called NuJoint that is made by NuVet Labs - you should be able to find the company through Google. Farley takes one wafer (like a chewable tablet) twice a day and seems to do very well on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 am 
Active Forum Member

I buy the giant bottle at Costco (Kirkland Brand - Glucosamine with MSM) and it seems to work well for Sophie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Active Forum Member

I used to give the Costco variety as well because it's a great price when there is a coupon and it worked as well as the more expensive brands.

Jean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:25 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

We give Bailey Recovery one tablet once a day. We used to get it from out vet, but we can know by it at our local pet store. She seems to do very well on it.

Kath

Mum to cocker kids
Bailey Girl - Aug 2,2001 &
Bentley Boy - June 1,2004
Married to the most wonderful man - Arlon

forever missing Sandy, Kodiak, Elsa and Petra

"He who has health, has hope. And he who has hope, has everything"