An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Update on Maddie's Eyes... Dry Eye
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi, all! I wanted to thank you again for your helpful input on my question about Maddie's eye, and I also wanted to give you the report from the vet today. Her eye just didn't seem to be getting better and actually started looking redder, so I went ahead and took her up to the vet. He did the little paper moisture test for dry eye, and she failed in both eyes. Her icky looking eye did get a lower score than the other one, so at least I do know it had some effect. Anyway, he sent her home with an antibiotic drop for the left eye as well as some dry eye drops to use in both, and told me he wants to see her again in two weeks to see how things are going. She is not stoked about all this attention to her eyes, as she's never had to have drops before, but she handled it at the vet like a champ. The vet did say that inflammation can sometimes lead to dry eye, and since she did better on one eye than the other, it could be a temporary thing. But now I'm starting to wonder if the slight discharge she's always had since she was a pup has been a minor case of dry eye all along! Poor girl... I had no idea.

Does anyone have experience with this and any tips/advice to share? Also, can it be linked at all to allergies? From the little I've read online so far, it looks like it can. Anything I can do about that if her allergies are environmental?

Thanks for your help!!

Ashley

Post subject: Re: Update on Maddie's Eyes... Dry Eye
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Hopefully the drops make her more comfortable

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hey Ashley,
I just recently went through all this with Snickie this past winter through half the summer. Snickie just turned four this past winter and one eye was really red I took her in early for her yearly exam and never saying anything to the vet, he quickly spotted the problem. The first thing he did was a dye stain to make sure there were no scratches or ulcers in her eye and also for cataract, all negative. His diagnosis allergic conjunctivitis. 2 weeks of meds, which did nothing, a phone call to the vet, different meds for 2 weeks, nothing. In for another visit, this time tested for glaucoma, negative. Different meds, plus steroid drops, that did the trick, but now I couldn't get her off the steroid drops, her eye would immediately get red. Vet didn't think that was bad, I did, I did not want her on that stuff for the rest of her life. At this point I asked the vet if it was dry eye, he didn't think it was, she wasn't displaying all the classic symptoms. I asked if this was the early stage of it, he said they still don't know enough about it, and it could be. I already had done a lot of research on my own and found that dry eye could be caused by a thyroid problem, but you had to do the full panel to find out, so I did it. Negative on that. So I asked the vet to do the tear test, he agreed, but didn't think there would be a problem. Well we found out that her red eye was borderline at 12 and her other eye was at 15. Vet was surprised. At this point he said to call him the following week to see how she was doing. In that week I did a lot of research. When I called, he wanted her to see an eye doctor, but I asked him to give me 6 weeks to work with her. Which meant giving her fish oil plus other supplements, feeding her salmon twice a week, twice a week egg, colorful veggies everyday, carrots as the main one mixed with pepper, spinach,beans, squash. chopped up fine and steamed.I called this her eye diet. If you research dry eye, people get it too and eye doctors will recommend this to their patients and people have said that it did the trick, but you have to be faithful to it. Vet said ok, but didn't think it would work.
So after 3 weeks I was able to get her off of the steroid drops and then 3 weeks later as promised I brought her in for a retest. Her eye that was at 15 went up to 27 and her red eye that was at 12 had gone up to 17, she was no longer borderline, and my vet was surprised, said he was going to remember this. That was at the end of July, she is still on her eye diet and supplements and I monitor her eyes every day. And yes if its an allergy it can temporarily give them dry eye. But as my vet said there is a very fine line between any conjunctivitis and dry eye. I pretty much believe that most of our health problems are caused by some deficiency.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Does your cocker rub it's face on the carpet or along the sofa? Good new about the diet with veges and fish oil, you can toss in coconut oil too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

Squash would be the main one for me, followed by carrot then spinach,broccoli or parsnips, sure you can over do carrots.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you so much for the responses, everyone! Denise, sounds like your Cocker went through something very similar to Maddie! Both eyes failed the dry eye test when he ran it, but the red one had a lower score than the other. If it ends up remaining a problem after our recheck, is the dry eye diet something she'd need to be on permanently, or a temporary thing until everything balances out for her? I'll definitely do some research about that! Thank you guys!

Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe, No Snickie doesn't rub her face on the carpet or sofa. I have had her on coconut oil in the past, keep forgetting to pick it up, the vet approved the coconut oil over a year ago. I actually think I had more of it then she did*:) happy

Ashley, I wish I could say that everything will balance out and life will go back to normal, but it's not going to. When the vet told me her one eye was borderline I sat there and looked at him and said "this is going to be one long road". You have to understand that this is an immune-mediated disease, or idiopathic. The eye needs to have water, oil, and mucus in the right proportions to function properly. There are several different forms of dry eye, but the most common form for dogs and people is where there is a lack of oil in the eye. The lack of oil has to do with eating a highly processed diet and or low fat diet. Yeah I feed Snickie kibble, but I have always top dressed her food with home cooking, knowing that, and reading up on the fish oil, I was willing to bet that giving her the fish oil or salmon oil would work for her. I read that when people did this, they felt the difference in 2 weeks, that's why at the third week I pulled Snickie off the steroid drops, because I knew if the oil was working I would be able to do it, and it worked, and I knew then that I was on the right track. Knowing all this I still have decisions to make regarding the kibble, I know that it is part of the problem, it is what they call dead food, not live food such as raw or home cooked food. I also know that 5 months before this happened Snickie had a lepto shot that she had reacted to, which may have been a contributing factor. I am not prepared to give her raw at this point, but I am willing to cook her meals. All though I do give her a raw bone with meat once a week and hydrated raw once or twice a week depending on my schedule to cook for her.

If it were me I would at least try giving your dog salmon oil, while you're giving the eye drops, it certainly won't hurt. When you bring her back in for a recheck hopefully her eyes will pass, and from that point you might be able to lower the amount of eye drops slowly. In my research I read up on three vets who made this product for dogs called OcuGlo its a supplement with fish oil and other anti-oxidants, which from that, I made up my own recipe. OcuGlo is expensive, but the people form is, TheraTears. TheraTears makes artificial tears and the supplements. When I am out of my fish oil and other supplements, I will be buying the TheraTears supplement for Snickie. If using fish oil works for you, you will have to give it to your dog for the rest of it's life. The reason for the veggies is that they are anti-oxidants, and anti-inflammatory, I make a big batch of it and put it in the freezer in small packages and take out as needed.

I know how difficult it can be to give eye drops, my previous dog's temperament was less than desirable and she would snap at me, Snickie on the other hand is a sweetheart, you can do anything to her and she will sit and take it. In fact the vet did something to her when checking her eyes, that he said he will only do to a dog when it is under, he did it only because he knows how docile she is, she did a lot of whining, but he saved me money and less stress for her by not putting her under.

Good luck and try the fish oil/salmon oil or TheraTears and research. If the oil doesn't work, then you know that it's some other dry eye issue. Dog eyes and people eyes are treated pretty much the same and with the same products, just different names. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Dogs need fat, not cooked fats, I believe that proteins cause the problems with pancreas in girl cockers, good grade fish oil, coconut oil, chicken skin, flax oil, lamb fat trimming a lamb chop. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a health supportive omega-6 fatty acid that has surprised researchers in terms of its health benefits.

Check it out for your self.

If you shop at Costco they should carry a large container of coconut oil under twenty five dollars. You can use it in low heat cooking. Cooking for your dog can be around 135 degrees which is safe for any dog, just above the raw you can lightly boil to that temperature.

I have started brushing Oliver's teeth and gums with coconut oil he enjoys the flavor and his Lip Fold Pyoderma or Lip Fold Dermatitis is gone.

Good luck
Joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe and Denise, thank you both so much for your suggestions and feedback!

Denise, Maddie is a lot like Snickie in that she is such a sweetheart and very willing to put up with the drops, but I can tell she hates it (she's always trying to pull her head away or hide when she sees the container-- ha!) so I will definitely see what fish oil options may work best for her, as well as the vegetables. It's encouraging to talk with someone who's already been through this in depth!

Thanks again!

Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Another word would be Cholesterol not fats.

The lack of oil has to do with eating a highly processed diet and or low fat diet. Yeah I feed Snickie kibble, but I have always top dressed her food with home cooking, knowing that, and reading up on the fish oil, I was willing to bet that giving her the fish oil or salmon oil would work for her. I read that when people did this, they felt the difference in 2 weeks, that's why at the third week I pulled Snickie off the steroid drops, because I knew if the oil was working I would be able to do it, and it worked, and I knew then that I was on the right track.

Frozen raw is more pasteurize than kibble. The only difference it's not cooked it done by high pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtW1EK-wrOg

Published on Dec 11, 2013

The demand for high pressure processing (cold pasteurization) is rapidly increasing, and with that comes the need for more capacity, as well as flexibility in handling new product sizes and better loading efficiency. See how Avure solved both in one brave, new design that increases throughput, offers flexibility, and improves serviceability.

If you watched the video the HPP Kills all bacteria. The Good, The Bad, and The ugly. You don't have to wash your hands after handling. Don't know if this is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl37_EJU1Ec

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:57 pm 
Forum Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu9kbJWW-Oo

This is Primal Dog Food it's not cheap.