An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cod Liver Oil for Dogs: Why it’s the Best Supplement
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the fourth and final post on my series on feeding dogs. Last time I touched on cod liver oil for dogs as a great supplement, but today I thought I’d expand on it just a bit.

After reading the BARF Diet and researching the ideal diet for dogs, it’s funny just how many parallels there are between nutrition for dogs and nutrition for humans. This is particularly true when it comes to healthy oils.

Consider these parallels:

The same refined vegetable oils that cause problems for humans also cause problems for dogs.

Just like humans, pets cannot manufacture the essential fatty acids (EFAs), omega-6s and omega-3s and must get them from their diet.

Just like humans, pets need a balance of omega-3s to omega-6s for good health.

Too many omega-6s promote inflammation in dogs just like in humans.

Processed pet food contains excessive levels of omega-6s, just like processed human foods.

Processed pet food is lacking in healthy omega-3s just as most supermarket food is for humans.

Factory farmed meat is deficient in omega-3s for humans and pets.

When processed pet foods label “high in omega-3s” they’re using the same tricks that processed human foods use.

READ MORE TO FINISH ARTIFICIAL: http://fearlesseating.net/cod-liver-oil-for-dogs/

Joe

Post subject: Re: Cod Liver Oil for Dogs: Why it’s the Best Supplement
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

That was one of the many supplements that I gave Snickie a couple of years ago when she had her dry eye issue if you remember. I had done a lot of research since the only thing that was working from the vet was steroid drops.For her I kept it on the light side of 1/8 teaspoon twice a week. From borderline dry eye to 20 plus in 7 weeks with diet change was phenomenal. When she saw her Vet last year and he checked her eyes, all he could do was shake his head and say "I don't know what worked for her.". I don't either, was it the food, was it all the supplements or was it a combination, After a year I slowly took her off most of the supplements, her food though, is still cooked food, which may be the bigger factor, but a few times a month I do give her that and or fish oil.