An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Canine Lyme disease
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

I recently had a discussion with my vet regarding the blood test for "heartworm, erlichia, and lyme" and decided I need to educate myself on the symptoms of erlichia and lyme, since he said we have more incidences of those here than heartworm, and that it is well worth getting dogs tested annually, or more often if they have "vague" symptoms.

I ran across this description on petmed.com, and thought it was worth sharing.

"Lyme Borreliosis in Dogs

Lyme disease is one of the most common tick-transmitted diseases in the world. It is caused by a spirochete (bacteria) species of the Borrelia burgdorferi group. Dominant clinical feature in dogs is recurrent lameness due to inflammation of the joints. There may also be a lack of appetite and depression. More serious complications include damage to the kidney, and rarely heart or nervous system disease.

Many dogs with Lyme disease have recurrent lameness of the limbs due to inflammation of the joints. Others, meanwhile, may develop acute lameness, which lasts for only three to four days but recurs days to weeks later, with lameness in the same leg, or in other legs. Better known as “shifting-leg lameness,” this condition is characterized by lameness in one leg, with a return to normal function, and another leg is then involved; one or more joints may be swollen and warm; a pain response is elicited by feeling the joint; responds well to antibiotic treatment."

Maggie Mae, home September 1, 2014

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

Post subject: Re: Canine Lyme disease
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Chris, is it transmitted by all ticks or specific species, and
is it more prevalent in certain parts of the country, or is it an issue in every state?
Good information. Thank you.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for the info Chris,

As you know, Chloie Pearl was lame in her right hind leg recently. So, I will be watching to see if she has a re-occurrence. We have Deer on our property and they carry ticks. But, we don't allow the dogs to go where the Deer have been, but occasionally Chloie get's through the fence. UGH! :roll

I think that in the over 30 years I have lived in this house, I have only seen two ticks. :dk

Dawn :paw

My Vet said the same thing about Heartworm in our area. Not very prominent.

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:16 pm 
Forum Legend

"... deer ticks live throughout the central and eastern United States, wherever their favorite hosts, deer and rodents, are present. Western black-legged ticks live west of the Rocky Mountains and are also vectors for Lyme disease.

Significantly smaller than the more commonly encountered dog tick, adult female deer ticks are about as big as a sesame seed and have reddish hind bodies with black dorsal markings. Males are slightly smaller than females and are solid dark brown."

"Transmission of the disease has been reported in dogs throughout the United States and Europe, but is most prevalent in the upper Midwestern states, the Atlantic seaboard, and the Pacific coastal states."

Lyme disease is treated with 3-4 weeks of antibiotics.

I know the squirrels here in northern California carry at least brown dog ticks and the western black-legged ticks.

Maggie Mae, home September 1, 2014

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:45 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I also opt to have my dogs tested quarterly for any tick borne disease. It's quick, easy, not terribly expensive and I know if anything is starting it will be caught early. If I had any doubts about doing this it was assuaged when I learned my vets do the same thing with their animals.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:22 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

It was in the local paper 2 years ago that in my county 60% of the ticks tested carry Lyme. We have deer and woods everywhere. I am always careful with my dogs-we usually get more ticks on us people than the dogs because I do not let them in the woods, spray the outside of their pen with bug killer, use diatomaceous earth inside their pen, not wanting to vaccinate the Lyme vaccine. Being so diligent, that being said, last May Casey tested positive for Lyme during his annual-I found an engorged tick on him while grooming in early April-we still had a foot of snow on the ground in their pen when I found it! I figured he got it when we played ball the other side of the yard. I would never had taken any precautions that early. My dogs get the 4 way snap test(heartworm, lyme, etc) every spring as part of their annual. He showed no symptoms because it was caught so early. A month of antibiotics and Casey tested fine. I have often thought about getting them tested also in the fall like you, Vickie. I do not find many ticks on them, I check them daily. It takes 48 hours of attachment for Lyme to be transmitted to the dog. Last year I put Preventic collars on them after Casey was diagnosed, this year they were sold out everywhere and I am using Revolution until Interceptor is back, Revolution does provide some tick protection. So far I have only found one tick barely attached to Casey. I will get the Preventic collars for the fall when I give them Interceptor.

In my area, the ticks are most active in early spring and fall, March/April thru June, and Sept thru November. They are mating in spring and very active. This is a bad year because march was so warm. If we go in the woods we always come out with some on us, that is why I seldom go in the woods this time of year. I never see any in the summer.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy