An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stinky eyes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 am 
Active Forum Member

This is a gross question (and an even worse problem to have!) but Ranger has had runny eyes since the day we got him. He eats Blue Buffalo and we've never really had any problems with his runny eyes. I usually just take a tissue to his face once a day or so.

Well, recently I have noticed that his face is stinky. And more particularly, the stuff coming out of his eyes is stinky. It's not colored, it just appears to be clear fluid. I've read Angel Eyes can help to fix this. But is it something that might be wrong (bacteria, fungal infection, etc.). It doesn't seem to bother him or irritate him. He isn't itchy or scratchy, or otherwise have bad allergies. :dk

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mommy to:
Walker -Buff - Born 2/22/09 and
Ranger - R&W - Born 9/19/09

Post subject: Re: Stinky eyes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Winston's eyes are runny too. Our ophthalmologist told me that his face was slightly misshaped. She was hoping that as he grew it would work itself out. It's not. She said that she might be able to fix it, but wanted to wait until he was at least a year old. Occasionally they will smell funky. My guess would be that yeast is growing in the warm, damp area around his eyes. But I'm far from an expert.

Someone here recommended giving him a teaspoon to tablespoon of plain, low fat yogurt. It helps. I can tell when he doesn't get it.

Winston
~ 10/11/2009
~ chocolate and tan mama's boy

Halle
~ 4/20/1993-6/11/2009
~ red and white parti who will always be in our hearts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:06 pm 
Forum Legend

I was told it was entropion (or something like that) eye in Ava. Her eye looked fine, but it was very slightly turned in at the corner of the lower lid which was wicking the moisture and causing the stink. You had to look really close to see it in Ava. My vet said it can be fixed but we had to wait until she was 18 months old to be assured her skull was finished growing. To do the fix earlier could cause droopy eye later. Fortunately, Ava's eyes (we believe) are correcting or have corrected themselves, but Abby now has stinky face. It smells like a sour wash cloth. I've decided its just the way it is an dealing with it.

I was told Angel Eyes will do nothing for it (?).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:42 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

You might want to try disolving about a level teaspoon of boric acid in a quart of boiled water (make sure it is disolved well). Let it cool and wipe the areas around the eyelids and below the eye two or three times a day with a cosmetic pad or cotton ball (use a fresh pad for each eye). The smell is from bacteria building up in the warm, moist areas. The solution is a gentle way of warding off the bacteria. The solution can be stored in the fridge for about a week.

This helps with the red staining around some cockers mouth areas, too. It doesn't bleach out the existing staining, but helps prevent any new staining.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

Angel Eyes works for Bobby.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Sadie has had this problem since she was a puppy, I have wiped her eyes daily, tried Angel Eyes, made sure she only had filtered water, switched to grain free food and nothing seemed to help. Sadie goes to a large VCA Vet and we have seen various doctor's over the years, they never really had any suggestions.

Last month when we went in for her annual check-up, we saw another vet just before we left he asked if there was anything else I wanted to discuss. Again I asked about her eyes. He said it may be environmental allergies and to give her 25mg every 12 hours. Well guess what? Her eyes are 100% better than they have ever been. After 4 years this simple solution :bang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Did i miss what you used that worked? 25 mg of what? Benadryl?

Vicki B. wrote:
Sadie has had this problem since she was a puppy, I have wiped her eyes daily, tried Angel Eyes, made sure she only had filtered water, switched to grain free food and nothing seemed to help. Sadie goes to a large VCA Vet and we have seen various doctor's over the years, they never really had any suggestions.

Last month when we went in for her annual check-up, we saw another vet just before we left he asked if there was anything else I wanted to discuss. Again I asked about her eyes. He said it may be environmental allergies and to give her 25mg every 12 hours. Well guess what? Her eyes are 100% better than they have ever been. After 4 years this simple solution :bang

Mommy to:
Walker -Buff - Born 2/22/09 and
Ranger - R&W - Born 9/19/09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 am 
Active Forum Member

I'm sorry...that was the most important point huh... :goof

Yes Benedryl. 25mg every 12 hours. He said cut it back to one pill a day if I noticed she seemed drosy or out of it. Luckily, she has been just fine with the dose he prescribed.