An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Got my Nutriscan results, now I need cooking & recipe ideas
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 am 
Active Forum Member

I got Ruger's Nutriscan results back. Yikes! Out of the 24 things tested for, he can only have 4 - beef, lamb, sweet potatoes and surprisingly corn.

My new vet is going to work with me and she gave me a crockpot recipe for stew that has beef, beans and veggies. While I type this, Ruger's stew is now cooking. Unfortunately the recipe instructions stink. It gave me the amounts to put in and for one day's worth. I ended up adding 6 times of each ingredient, but I really don't know how much it is going to make total and then I have to somehow divide the portion into 6?? Whatever.

My point is, do any of you cook for your dog? Any tips or suggestions?
How often do you do so? I'm hoping to only have to do so once or twice a week.
How long does it keep in he fridge? Do you freeze any? What kind of container do you freeze it in?
Do you nuke it to warm it up (I'm not that fond of nuking).

Also, what size portion do you give to your cocker? Ruger is 30 pounds and he eats twice a day.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and want to make sure he's getting what he should and the proper portion and ratio of meat to beans or veggies, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Melissa

Post subject: Re: Got my Nutriscan results, now I need cooking & recipe id
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:00 am 
Active Forum Member

I do not cook for my dogs though once upon a time I did. I feed raw now. Cooking was just too much work. :wnk

The biggest thing is to make sure you're getting sufficient calcium.

When I did cook, I used Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats for the recipes. That way everything was balanced and I had an idea of how much to feed. Its always going to be less than your dog wants btw :) Pitcairn uses dried &ground eggshells as one calcium source and has a "healthy powder" recipe as well.

Pretty sure Wendy Volhard also has cooked food recipes in her books.

The Whole Dog Journal also had an article about how many homemade diet recipes are nutritionally incomplete so you might take a look at that if you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cockers4ever wrote:
I do not cook for my dogs though once upon a time I did. I feed raw now. Cooking was just too much work. :wnk

The biggest thing is to make sure you're getting sufficient calcium.

When I did cook, I used Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats for the recipes. That way everything was balanced and I had an idea of how much to feed. Its always going to be less than your dog wants btw :) Pitcairn uses dried &ground eggshells as one calcium source and has a "healthy powder" recipe as well.

Pretty sure Wendy Volhard also has cooked food recipes in her books.

The Whole Dog Journal also had an article about how many homemade diet recipes are nutritionally incomplete so you might take a look at that if you can.

lol at too much work. I joke that I'm going to cook more for my dog than my husband. I considered the raw option but my vet isn't crazy about the raw because of the quality and questionability of the meat industry (or something like that). Just curious, do you get the meat from your local supermarket or do you buy the frozen raw meat available at some pet stores?

I am worried about making sure he gets a balanced diet that is nutritionally complete. The recipe I have calls for egg shells but he's not supposed to have eggs. My vet mentioned we'd use a calcium supplement for him but she forgot to give (well, sell) one to me and I'm not sure what to buy, so I'll wait until I go back on Wed.

Thanks for the book and article recommendations. I will be sure to check them out. It's going to be tricky because he's going to be on limited ingredients for awhile so I want to make sure he gets all his nutrients.

Thank you so much for your input!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:28 pm 
Forum Legend

morewineplease wrote:
I got Ruger's Nutriscan results back. Yikes! Out of the 24 things tested for, he can only have 4 - beef, lamb, sweet potatoes and surprisingly corn.

My new vet is going to work with me and she gave me a crockpot recipe for stew that has beef, beans and veggies. While I type this, Ruger's stew is now cooking. Unfortunately the recipe instructions stink. It gave me the amounts to put in and for one day's worth. I ended up adding 6 times of each ingredient, but I really don't know how much it is going to make total and then I have to somehow divide the portion into 6?? Whatever.

How long does it keep in he fridge? Do you freeze any? What kind of container do you freeze it in?

Also, what size portion do you give to your cocker? Ruger is 30 pounds and he eats twice a day.

I'm a bit overwhelmed and want to make sure he's getting what he should and the proper portion and ratio of meat to beans or veggies, etc.

Thanks for any advice.
Melissa

Wow on the nutriscan! fortunately, cooking gives you plenty of flexibility. I make a giant crock pot 1-2 times a month. I supplement crock pot with canned (limited ingredient diets) and FROMM kibble. There are canned foods with very few ingredients i am sure you can find on chewy.com. I do this so my cooking lasts longer and she gets some variety and a balanced diet. I add cheap organs from the butcher. I get a lot and freeze them.

I store them in safe BPA free tupperware or glass containers and freeze them. Each container stays in the fridge for about 3-4 days max. Yes, I add stuff like sweet potatoes, carrot, green beans, broccoli..

Yes, I like to warm it for 25 seconds in the microwave.

I use KAL bone meal - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1

For calcium - try beef rib bones from amazon. Cici goes nuts for them. Keeps her busy, too. But I reduce her dinner if she chews a lot of a bone. They are rich.

cici eats 8 portions of crock pot a day ----just kidding! She would love to, but i think she gets a little over a cup a meal twice a day. she does get a couple other snacks so it evens out. She always ready to eat more. if i add kibble, i reduce the crock pot portion. i feel like i am still trying to figure out the portions myself depending on her activity levels. She HATES the rain and if it rains 2-3 days in a row, she won't walk at all. She tiptoes on the grass to get her biz done and she wants to come back inside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 am 
Active Forum Member

morewineplease wrote:
I considered the raw option but my vet isn't crazy about the raw because of the quality and questionability of the meat industry (or something like that). Just curious, do you get the meat from your local supermarket or do you buy the frozen raw meat available at some pet stores?

Neither. I buy the meat from a wholesaler - which is actually where many of the supermarkets buy from. Stuff comes in quantity - so 40lb box of chicken neck/back/wings etc 30lb turkey necks. takes a bit of time to repackage everything into plastic containers but once thats done, its just a matter of taking a container out of the freezer and thawing. I've gotten lazy about their organ meats & veggies but honestly, my dogs have been doing great so I've stopped sweating it. :gig When I first started nearly 20yrs ago I meticulously measured and calculated everything. Gave a bunch of supplements etc. now I dont and honestly, I see no difference. :dk

You're lucky he can eat beef. many calcium supplements are beef based. You could easily give a raw knuckle bone or even rib bone a few times a week and probably be fine. I know a couple of people who pressure cook beef bones until they turn to mush for the calcium. Similar to a bone broth but keep the bone. Makes me nervous but it worked out fine for them. actually, I think I did it once and it was fine but stressed me out so I did not do it again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Natural Balance makes a bison and sweet potato limited ingredient dog food.
Merrick makes a lamb and sweet potato limited ingredient dog food.
Note that they both contain peas and potatoes, too, if either of those are on your allergen list. My cocker Gromit has been on Natural Balance sweet potato and chicken for years, and it's made a huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 pm 
Forum Legend

WOW! what a list.

Look into frozen Primal raw dog food. Then if that don't pass the hubby test try Newman can dog food. They claim they use organic cow, turkey and vegetables.

Now is sterile dog food good? This is what we been using, along with raw meats like lamb, chicken wings, or even thighs.

Now more on HPP HIGH PRESSURE PASTEURIZATION..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgdC5nLqrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avm-Conp9Zk

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
morewineplease wrote:

Thanks for any advice.
Melissa

Wow on the nutriscan! fortunately, cooking gives you plenty of flexibility. I make a giant crock pot 1-2 times a month. I supplement crock pot with canned (limited ingredient diets) and FROMM kibble. There are canned foods with very few ingredients i am sure you can find on chewy.com. I do this so my cooking lasts longer and she gets some variety and a balanced diet. I add cheap organs from the butcher. I get a lot and freeze them.

I store them in safe BPA free tupperware or glass containers and freeze them. Each container stays in the fridge for about 3-4 days max. Yes, I add stuff like sweet potatoes, carrot, green beans, broccoli..

Yes, I like to warm it for 25 seconds in the microwave.

I use KAL bone meal - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1

For calcium - try beef rib bones from amazon. Cici goes nuts for them. Keeps her busy, too. But I reduce her dinner if she chews a lot of a bone. They are rich.

cici eats 8 portions of crock pot a day ----just kidding! She would love to, but i think she gets a little over a cup a meal twice a day. she does get a couple other snacks so it evens out. She always ready to eat more. if i add kibble, i reduce the crock pot portion. i feel like i am still trying to figure out the portions myself depending on her activity levels. She HATES the rain and if it rains 2-3 days in a row, she won't walk at all. She tiptoes on the grass to get her biz done and she wants to come back inside.

Wow is right! Thank you for all the info, for answering my many questions, and for sharing what you do. Ruger did get Fromm kibble - with goat milk in the morning, and Nupro silver and Stella & Chewy's freeze dried meat on top in the evening. Along with the Nusentia probiotics you recommended and fish oil, etc. He can't have the Nupro or fish oil anymore. :sad

I made Ruger a big batch of the stew and he likes it, but I do worry about the right balance of meat to veggies. Do you use recipes and/or maintain a certain ratio of meat to veggies? What liquid do you use as a base for your crockpot concoctions?

I will see what canned food I can find with limited ingredients. While I don't mind cooking for him, it'd be nice if I can alternate for convenience sake or for the rare times I have to travel.

Thanks for the link to the Kal. Will definitely check that out and the beef rib bones. He looooves to chew.

I got some new containers especially for freezing his food. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it as time goes on and I'm not so overwhelmed. I think it'll take some trial and error figuring out portion size though. Until I read what you give Cici (1 cup twice a day), I was thinking 3/4 of a cup twice a day based on something I read somewhere. Can't remember where I got that guideline from though.

LOL at your Cici tiptoeing in the wet grass. One of our dogs, not a cocker, is very particular. If the grass is too high or wet, she doesn't want to go. So funny how they all have their preferences.

Thank you again Cici's mom!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:49 am 
Active Forum Member

Cockers4ever wrote:
morewineplease wrote:
I considered the raw option but my vet isn't crazy about the raw because of the quality and questionability of the meat industry (or something like that). Just curious, do you get the meat from your local supermarket or do you buy the frozen raw meat available at some pet stores?

Neither. I buy the meat from a wholesaler - which is actually where many of the supermarkets buy from. Stuff comes in quantity - so 40lb box of chicken neck/back/wings etc 30lb turkey necks. takes a bit of time to repackage everything into plastic containers but once thats done, its just a matter of taking a container out of the freezer and thawing. I've gotten lazy about their organ meats & veggies but honestly, my dogs have been doing great so I've stopped sweating it. :gig When I first started nearly 20yrs ago I meticulously measured and calculated everything. Gave a bunch of supplements etc. now I dont and honestly, I see no difference. :dk

You're lucky he can eat beef. many calcium supplements are beef based. You could easily give a raw knuckle bone or even rib bone a few times a week and probably be fine. I know a couple of people who pressure cook beef bones until they turn to mush for the calcium. Similar to a bone broth but keep the bone. Makes me nervous but it worked out fine for them. actually, I think I did it once and it was fine but stressed me out so I did not do it again!

Thank you so much for the additional info! Yeah, the chicken necks, etc. won't work for me since he can't have chicken, turkey...but at least he can have beef. There's a wholesaler near work that I'll have to check out.

I know I'll be measuring just like you did, and hoping that I'm giving him the correct amounts. Hopefully someday I'll learn to be like you are now and not sweat it. Doubtful though. :goof

I don't have a pressure cooker, but yeah, that'd make me nervous too. Thankfully there are other ways for him to get his calcium. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 am 
Active Forum Member

Darra wrote:
Natural Balance makes a bison and sweet potato limited ingredient dog food.
Merrick makes a lamb and sweet potato limited ingredient dog food.
Note that they both contain peas and potatoes, too, if either of those are on your allergen list. My cocker Gromit has been on Natural Balance sweet potato and chicken for years, and it's made a huge difference.

Thank you Darra! Unfortunately, he can't have peas and potatoes, which I've noticed are in a lot of products. I'm hoping to make up a batch of beef and sweet potatoes, just need to figure out the right ratios. He loves when I share my sweet potato with him, so add some beef and he'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
WOW! what a list.

Look into frozen Primal raw dog food. Then if that don't pass the hubby test try Newman can dog food. They claim they use organic cow, turkey and vegetables.

Now is sterile dog food good? This is what we been using, along with raw meats like lamb, chicken wings, or even thighs.

Now more on HPP HIGH PRESSURE PASTEURIZATION..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgdC5nLqrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avm-Conp9Zk

Joe

Thanks Joe! My little local pet store carries Primal products. I get the Primal goat milk so may have to try their frozen raw food. My vet isn't crazy about raw, but I may go that route eventually.

I wonder if it's ok to mix and match raw and cooked? Like raw for breakfast, cooked for dinner or vice versa? Anyone know?

I'll check out the Newman food too as well as the youtube links (when I'm not at work). :chk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 am 
Forum Legend

Yes, you can mix, at lease Oliver's body hadn't any problems. Fromm a good choice also. One can look at Annamaet red meat formula dog food.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:56 am 
Active Forum Member

I use home cooked, freeze dried raw (Stella and Chewy's meal mixers) and kibble. That way if my home cooked isn't as balanced as is should be, Jennie will hopefully pick up the missing nutrients from the other two. I don't add these different foods together. I put the kibble in one side of a dual bowl and the freeze dried raw in the other first thing in the morning. She gets 1/2 cup of kibble and 2 scoops of the raw diet. The package instructions for her goal weight of 20 lbs is 1.5 cups of the kibble and 5-6 scoops of the raw diet (depending on variety). She rarely eats it all at once, but will spread it out over a couple of smaller meals during the day. Then I have a third bowl for the home cooked that she gets a dinner time. It's the same size bowl and she gets about 1/2 cup of the home cooked. So I try to give her about 1/3 of her daily total in each of the three types of food.

I like the Stella and Chewy meal mixers because they come in bite size pieces rather than the 'patty' that you have to either break up or add water too. I don't add water to Jennie's because she is really good at drinking a lot of water with her meals on her own. It's much less messy to feed the dehydrated raw without adding water. She likes both the beef and chicken so I often give her one scoop of each. I've also given her the lamb, turkey or salmon in the past but she didn't like them as well. And I didn't care for the smell of the salmon one, so I'm glad it's not one of her favorites. It doesn't smell BAD, just very salmony. :gig

Home cooked for us means that she gets some of whatever I am having or leftovers from the day before. It's usually broiled or roasted chicken with a green veggie and potatoes. We like both white and sweet potatoes, either roasted or mashed. Jennie gets her food mixed together, which I found increased the amount of veggies that she ate. If I give her plain green beans, she will try one and then spit it out. If it is mixed with sweet potato or garlic mashed potato, she will eat it all. I chop the meat and veggies pretty fine. I don't add salt or pepper when cooking, so neither of us is getting too much salt. I do use herbs during cooking for added flavor, but if I put it on the chicken, I put in on the skin and we don't eat that. I will add finely chopped herbs to the veggies and it hasn't slowed her down at all (or me!)

My new vet commented on how good her skin looks, how soft her fur is and that her eyes look great. I described her feeding plan and he said he wouldn't change it for now but I may need to reduce her calories as she gets older. If so, I'll probably switch to a 'weight management' version of kibble and maybe change the proportions in her home cooked to add more veggies and less potatoes.

Hope all this makes sense. It's a bit complicated, but it works for us.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Yes, you can mix, at lease Oliver's body hadn't any problems. Fromm a good choice also. One can look at Annamaet red meat formula dog food.

Joe

Good to know - thanks Joe!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
I use home cooked, freeze dried raw (Stella and Chewy's meal mixers) and kibble. That way if my home cooked isn't as balanced as is should be, Jennie will hopefully pick up the missing nutrients from the other two. I don't add these different foods together. I put the kibble in one side of a dual bowl and the freeze dried raw in the other first thing in the morning. She gets 1/2 cup of kibble and 2 scoops of the raw diet. The package instructions for her goal weight of 20 lbs is 1.5 cups of the kibble and 5-6 scoops of the raw diet (depending on variety). She rarely eats it all at once, but will spread it out over a couple of smaller meals during the day. Then I have a third bowl for the home cooked that she gets a dinner time. It's the same size bowl and she gets about 1/2 cup of the home cooked. So I try to give her about 1/3 of her daily total in each of the three types of food.

I like the Stella and Chewy meal mixers because they come in bite size pieces rather than the 'patty' that you have to either break up or add water too. I don't add water to Jennie's because she is really good at drinking a lot of water with her meals on her own. It's much less messy to feed the dehydrated raw without adding water. She likes both the beef and chicken so I often give her one scoop of each. I've also given her the lamb, turkey or salmon in the past but she didn't like them as well. And I didn't care for the smell of the salmon one, so I'm glad it's not one of her favorites. It doesn't smell BAD, just very salmony. :gig

Home cooked for us means that she gets some of whatever I am having or leftovers from the day before. It's usually broiled or roasted chicken with a green veggie and potatoes. We like both white and sweet potatoes, either roasted or mashed. Jennie gets her food mixed together, which I found increased the amount of veggies that she ate. If I give her plain green beans, she will try one and then spit it out. If it is mixed with sweet potato or garlic mashed potato, she will eat it all. I chop the meat and veggies pretty fine. I don't add salt or pepper when cooking, so neither of us is getting too much salt. I do use herbs during cooking for added flavor, but if I put it on the chicken, I put in on the skin and we don't eat that. I will add finely chopped herbs to the veggies and it hasn't slowed her down at all (or me!)

My new vet commented on how good her skin looks, how soft her fur is and that her eyes look great. I described her feeding plan and he said he wouldn't change it for now but I may need to reduce her calories as she gets older. If so, I'll probably switch to a 'weight management' version of kibble and maybe change the proportions in her home cooked to add more veggies and less potatoes.

Hope all this makes sense. It's a bit complicated, but it works for us.

Susan - thank you for sharing how you feed your sweetie Jennie! You made perfect sense, although it is a bit complicated. Ruger's diet before was pretty simple, and the kibble was convenient, but it's obviously not the healthiest for him so I have to make changes.

I don't know if I ever shared Ruger's previous diet before, I've been posting so much, can't remember what I wrote. He had grain-free Fromm kibble for breakfast topped with goat milk. Then he had the Fromm kibble in the evening with a gravy made of Nupro joint formula and water, topped with Stella and Chewy's meal mixers. So I am familiar with that product and I think while it had a list of ingredients, the beef should be ok. I have to re-read the ingredients and make sure it didn't have anything he can't have.

Since he can't have kibble anymore (because of grain and pea protein), I'm transitioning to cooked per my vet's recs. But tonight he didn't finish his food. And last night I had to coax him to finish it. Not sure if I gave him too much or if he's not liking it so I've been weighing my options.

Dr. Dodds recommended Answers Pet Food - they have a limited ingredient raw food I'm considering, even though my vet wasn't keen on raw. I want to keep things simple while we are figuring out what his system can handle, but want to give him a variety to make sure he gets a balanced diet.

Do I do all raw for now and see how is body reacts? Do I try raw for one meal, home cooked topped with Stella and Chewy's for another meal or just Stella and Chewy's? I don't mind mixing it with water. I'm used to the mess. :goof I'm not asking you to answer these questions, just thinking about my options...

I would appreciate you answering this though, when you give her home cooked food - how much meat vs. veggies do you give her? I also appreciate hearing how much you feed her of each. Ruger is 30 pounds, but it gives me an idea of how much he should have.

I really appreciate all the info. Sounds like Jennie is getting a very yummy balanced diet which is what I want to give Ruger while avoiding the many foods he can't have. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

I know how overwhelming it is to begin making you own food. I have been making my own food for my pack of 5 for over 3 years now and it has become much easier. I feed raw, and I feel as though their systems are made for this. After all, think of all the disgusting things they find appetizing! My dogs have not had any digestive problems with this diet. Organic meat would be ideal, but we cannot afford it. Feeding this way is pricier than kibble. I feel as though they are getting a much better diet than the dry kibble.

I began by ordering a book by a vet, Dr Karen Becker, "Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats". She recommends that you read the entire book before beginning so that you understand the hows and whys of what you're doing. I also subscribe to her website and receive a newsletter everyday. drkarenbecker@mercola.com There is a wealth of holistic info that you can go through and learn quite a bit!

Good luck!! Teri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:46 am 
Active Forum Member

"I would appreciate you answering this though, when you give her home cooked food - how much meat vs. veggies do you give her? I also appreciate hearing how much you feed her of each. Ruger is 30 pounds, but it gives me an idea of how much he should have."

Jennie gets 1/2 cup of kibble and 2 scoops of Stella and Chewy meal mixers every morning. I usually give one scoop each of chicken and beef.

For her dinner Jennie gets about 1/3 cup each of diced meat and green veggie (usually broccoli or green beans) and a heaping tablespoon of potato. The potato helps to add flavor to the veggies. Whenever I have skipped it, she has picked the meat out and left most of the veggies behind. Once it is all mixed together it ends up being about 1/2 cup because the gaps between pieces fill in when you mix it. Once a week or so I add shredded carrots as part of the veggie portion. During grilling season we occasionally have steak or salmon. During the winter, we may have pork tenderloin or turkey breast. But we eat more chicken than anything else.

Jennie prefers the stock of the broccoli to the florets, so I eat the florets and chop the broccoli stock for her. I usually steam it and I don't add anything other than chopped herbs to it for either of us. I usually blanch the green beans for a minute or two. We both like our veggies a bit crunchy. The carrot is raw.

I know that my diet has improved since I started cooking for both of us. :gig

Does anyone add spinach to their home cooked meals? I eat a lot of spinach salads and have considered adding it to Jennie's dinner but I haven't researched whether it is recommended for dogs or not.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 am 
Forum Legend

I am myself looking for recipes and plan on buying one of these books shortly. Although I am looking into recipes, I feel less worried when I mix canned or good quality purchased food with the home cooked food. I figure that that mix will make it a more complete meal and give her some variety while removing the risk of an imbalance if I just feed her my crock pot.

It also gives me some time to explore recipes to make it less overwhelming.

These beef rib bones are great as they don't seem to splinter and Cici loves chewing on them.

https://www.amazon.com/GoGo-inch-Beef-B ... +rib+bones

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

I took a few pics when I was making our dinner tonight so you can see how it works.

I cut up and put the meat, veggies and potato in a measuring cup as I prepare my own plate.

Attachment:
Jennies dinner step 1 (700x525).jpg
Jennies dinner step 1 (700x525).jpg [ 217.81 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]

Then I mix it all together in the measuring cup and transfer about half of it to her little dish insert.

Attachment:
Jennies dinner step 2 (700x525).jpg
Jennies dinner step 2 (700x525).jpg [ 252.39 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]

As you can see, what little is left is usually on the floor or stuck to her ears.

Attachment:
Jennies dinner step 3 (525x700).jpg
Jennies dinner step 3 (525x700).jpg [ 236.09 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]

I leave it for a bit before I clean it up because she will come back severals times to check the bowl and see if anything has been added.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

Teri in Idaho wrote:
I know how overwhelming it is to begin making you own food. I have been making my own food for my pack of 5 for over 3 years now and it has become much easier. I feed raw, and I feel as though their systems are made for this. After all, think of all the disgusting things they find appetizing! My dogs have not had any digestive problems with this diet. Organic meat would be ideal, but we cannot afford it. Feeding this way is pricier than kibble. I feel as though they are getting a much better diet than the dry kibble.

I began by ordering a book by a vet, Dr Karen Becker, "Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats". She recommends that you read the entire book before beginning so that you understand the hows and whys of what you're doing. I also subscribe to her website and receive a newsletter everyday. drkarenbecker@mercola.com There is a wealth of holistic info that you can go through and learn quite a bit!

Good luck!! Teri

Thank you Teri! Wow, a pack of 5!! We have 3, can't imagine 2 more. I talked to my vet today about Answers Pet Food - frozen raw food. It was recommended to me and I may try that route before I delve into making my own raw food. I know it'll be pricey, but Ruger is my baby. Our other two dogs are really DH's and he is fine with giving them kibble, but they aren't having any issues. So it's his call. Enough said about that...

I had considered Dr. Beckers' book, but was on the fence, mainly because I wasn't sure I wanted to go the raw route. I think I'll order it after your recommendation. I've been getting her newsletters for the last month or so. Very informative. Thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
"I would appreciate you answering this though, when you give her home cooked food - how much meat vs. veggies do you give her? I also appreciate hearing how much you feed her of each. Ruger is 30 pounds, but it gives me an idea of how much he should have."

Jennie gets 1/2 cup of kibble and 2 scoops of Stella and Chewy meal mixers every morning. I usually give one scoop each of chicken and beef.

For her dinner Jennie gets about 1/3 cup each of diced meat and green veggie (usually broccoli or green beans) and a heaping tablespoon of potato. The potato helps to add flavor to the veggies. Whenever I have skipped it, she has picked the meat out and left most of the veggies behind. Once it is all mixed together it ends up being about 1/2 cup because the gaps between pieces fill in when you mix it. Once a week or so I add shredded carrots as part of the veggie portion. During grilling season we occasionally have steak or salmon. During the winter, we may have pork tenderloin or turkey breast. But we eat more chicken than anything else.

Jennie prefers the stock of the broccoli to the florets, so I eat the florets and chop the broccoli stock for her. I usually steam it and I don't add anything other than chopped herbs to it for either of us. I usually blanch the green beans for a minute or two. We both like our veggies a bit crunchy. The carrot is raw.

I know that my diet has improved since I started cooking for both of us. :gig

Does anyone add spinach to their home cooked meals? I eat a lot of spinach salads and have considered adding it to Jennie's dinner but I haven't researched whether it is recommended for dogs or not.

Thank you Susan for clarifying! And thank you for the pictures! I lol'd at some of your comments - about her picking the meat out and leaving the veggies, and what is left is on the floor or stuck to her ears. :ROFL:

My diet has gone to heck lately, I think trying to feed Ruger healthier food may help me eat healthier again too. He doesn't seem crazy about the crock pot food, although tonight he ate it no problem. I think if I was cooking myself nice healthy meals each night it'd be easier to cook extra and share that with him. But considering he can only have beef or lamb right now poses a problem. When I do cook, I'd be cooking chicken and fish and pork too, not just beef.

I might go the raw route and see how that goes. Then maybe add cooked meals depending on what I'm cooking. He isn't usually a picky eater - he loves carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes and squash. Unfortunately, he can't have potatoes. Maybe I could do fresh cooked veggies with freeze dried raw like Stella and Chewys...

Regarding your question about spinach, I did add spinach to Ruger's crockpot beef stew. It was one of the veggies recommended in his NutriScan report. Not sure if it has to be cooked or if it can be raw.

How about sharing some pics of Jennie making her mess?? :lol3

Thanks again for your response - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and post pics!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
I am myself looking for recipes and plan on buying one of these books shortly. Although I am looking into recipes, I feel less worried when I mix canned or good quality purchased food with the home cooked food. I figure that that mix will make it a more complete meal and give her some variety while removing the risk of an imbalance if I just feed her my crock pot.

It also gives me some time to explore recipes to make it less overwhelming.

These beef rib bones are great as they don't seem to splinter and Cici loves chewing on them.

https://www.amazon.com/GoGo-inch-Beef-B ... +rib+bones

Thanks for the link to the bones!

I looked at various books on amazon, read the reviews and ended up just ordering Dr. Dodds' book. Will probably get Dr. Beckers' book too. I don't want to get a book that is full of recipes with grains, rice, potatoes, and a bunch of ingredients I can't use. Frustrating. If Cici can eat more foods than Ruger, than you shouldn't have such a hard time finding a good recipe book. There were some that looked interesting, until, as I said, I read the reviews.

I am looking into so many options. I understand why you're mixing in canned with your home cooked. I thought of adding freeze dried raw to home cooked. It is very overwhelming. I read so much last night that I was dreaming about it and I woke up tired!

ETA: I was told to check out Canine Caviar dog food because it has limited ingredients, so you might want to look at it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 am 
Forum Legend

Hi Melissa,

To answer your question,the crock pot ratio is generally 30% veggies and 70% meat for me at the moment. I use coconut oil in the crock pot. And I mix her crock pot with canned sometimes. I also give her Tripe with her food (rotated). i am waiting for my book to arrive so i can experiment more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Hi Melissa,

To answer your question,the crock pot ratio is generally 30% veggies and 70% meat for me at the moment. I use coconut oil in the crock pot. And I mix her crock pot with canned sometimes. I also give her Tripe with her food (rotated). i am waiting for my book to arrive so i can experiment more.

Thanks Cici's mom! I appreciate you sharing the ratios, etc. Please let me know how you like the book you got. Which one did you get? (Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed it.). I received Dr. Dodds' Canine Nutrigenomics book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Am thinking of holding off on Dr. Becker's book if it is primarily raw recipes.

I was going to try Answers frozen raw which was recommended and didn't have anything added that Ruger couldn't have. But that was out of stock so I tried Stella and Chewys raw beef patties. He hated it. He doesn't turn up his nose up at much but he wanted nothing to do with it. Funnily enough, DH's dogs liked it. Anyway, Ruger does love Stella and Chewys freeze dried raw so I may stick with that for now.

The one crockpot meal I tried he didn't like much but I may try again if I get some good recipes. Just tough when there are so many things he can't have.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

morewineplease wrote:
Cici wrote:
Hi Melissa,

Thanks Cici's mom! I appreciate you sharing the ratios, etc. Please let me know how you like the book you got. Which one did you get? (Sorry if you mentioned it already and I missed it.). I received Dr. Dodds' Canine Nutrigenomics book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Am thinking of holding off on Dr. Becker's book if it is primarily raw recipes.

I was going to try Answers frozen raw which was recommended and didn't have anything added that Ruger couldn't have. But that was out of stock so I tried Stella and Chewys raw beef patties. He hated it. He doesn't turn up his nose up at much but he wanted nothing to do with it. Funnily enough, DH's dogs liked it. Anyway, Ruger does love Stella and Chewys freeze dried raw so I may stick with that for now.

The one crockpot meal I tried he didn't like much but I may try again if I get some good recipes. Just tough when there are so many things he can't have.
Don't believe the results if a yeast infection is involved, everything comes up as a false positive, normal potatoes not sweet, squash and chicken, carrot, broccoli and small amount of grated cheddar cheese, raw when ever possible. Don't forget wholemeal bread, no GM.