An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: servicing Andis clippers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:24 pm 
Forum Legend

I've been grooming Cici for more than 2 years now. How often do you get your clippers serviced? Do you send them to Andis or find a local place to sharpen the blades and clean the machine?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: servicing Andis clippers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Are you near any local dog shows? http://www.infodog.com/show/state_shows.htm?_p=Y

If not you could try

http://www.northerntails.com/

Play around with his website: What To Check on Andis Clippers (AG/AGC/AGR/Unltra Edge) If Blades Dont Cut!

Jeff shows in detail how to check your Andis clipper if the blades don't cut when you get blades back from the sharpener. Even if they start to drag prematurely watch this video. He goes over every component one at a time to show how and why it may have failed using bad components already on the test clipper. This is a fantastic diagnostic tool for someone not familiar with their Andis clipper. He goes over the round clipper (AGC/AGR/ Untra Edge series), and the square one (AG2 series). Your clipper is 50% of your cutting system and you are responsible for the maintenance of it. Its not always the sharpening.

hanging The Drive Bearing On An Andis AG2/AGC Clipper

Jeff explains how to change the drive bearing on the Andis clipper. He shows how to detect a bad bearing, what causes a bad bearing, how to prevent a bad bearing. The whole procedure is not shown just what has to be done. This job should be done by a technician.

Joe

Off the net
Norwood Barber Supply
16249 Eury Road
Norwood, NC 28128
Phone: (704)322-5813
Other: (704)982-2298

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:04 pm 
Forum Legend

An old forum member, Marsha, and her husband own a repair shop and sharpen blades. I haven't used them, but recall other forum members speaking highly of their services. Here is their website:

http://www.shavershop.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Are you having any problems? Is it a battery operated clipper? Looks like a factory repair to service the battery operated clipper with any kind of problems.

http://www.northerntails.com/images/Andis_Maint.pdf

If leaving rail tracks when clipping the blade drive is worn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGEQHhfCIc

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 pm 
Forum Legend

It is the corded Andis AGC2. No problems, really, but I've been using now for more than 2 years every 4-6 weeks. . I think the #5 blade is getting a bit dull.

A groomer just recommended a service in Raleigh, NC. He is mobile and can come to my home. Yaay!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Ask if he carries the Andis Guides & Blade Drive that Fit Andis AG & AGC & AGR. If not order one from either from Amazon using zim family if that still works or from Ebay bay before he shows up. It's time to replace that drive anyway after two or three years. It will make a sharp blade look dull. I replace my Oster A5 Drive Lever & Link about every two years as this is a cheap fiber material.

So you don't need to go to a dog show to get blades sharpened. Here our local 80 year old clipper repair guy has died as he sharpened everyone cutting blades even all vets. Don't forget a can of compressed air and lube for Andis clipper lube for your blades before and after using.

We either have to fix it ourselves or send it in to San Fransico or a dog show. Spelled correctly for the sickness there.

Abraham Lincoln — "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." Proper maintenance of our clipper blades will give you a smoother, faster cut and it also keeps the blades sharp for a long time. By investing a little time everyday to clean and oil our blades, we save ourselves a lot of time and money in the long run. Take care of your tools, and your tools will take care of you :-) Happy Grooming, everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rS_YQ-ro0

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Darra wrote:
An old forum member, Marsha, and her husband own a repair shop and sharpen blades. I haven't used them, but recall other forum members speaking highly of their services. Here is their website:

http://www.shavershop.com/

Thank you Darra,
Just saw this and yes we do sharpen and repair Andis and Oster clippers. We have been in business for 62 years and we do know what we are doing.
When you are doing just 1 or 2 dogs every other year is ok...although we do recommend at least every 18 months as you do need to service the motors and make sure everything is greased and oiled.
Any questions please feel free to ask us.
ss.inc@verizon.net
310 370-3373
Marsha

owner of
THE SHAVER SHOP INC.
We sell and repair Electric Shavers and Clippers
We have a complete HAND SHARPENING SERVICE
Visit our website to see some of the things we do and carry
www.shavershop.com