An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Dr. Becker's Real Food cookbook
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:11 am 
Forum Legend

Dr. Becker's book has been out of stock for while and the next one is out in 2018. The price on amazon is $80!! (it's a $20 book, if I recall).

I would love to have a balanced ground turkey recipe from the book, if anyone on this forum has it. Could you kindly take a pic and paste it here? Or any recipe with chicken or ground beef, but preferably turkey for Cici.

Thanks - it would be a huge favor!

Post subject: Re: Dr. Becker's Real Food cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:57 am 
Forum Legend

Dr. Becker's Real Food For Healthy Dogs And Cats: Simple Home Made Food
by Beth Taylor, Karen Shaw Becker
3.9 · Rating details · 84 Ratings · 7 Reviews

Based on the ancestral diets of dogs and cats, this book provides a rotation plan for a meat-based diet that includes appropriate levels of vegetables, fruits, and supplements to complete the diet, analyzed to make sure that nutrition needs are met.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/772 ... s-and-cats

When all else fails one can try the Interstate Library system :joy

Paperback, Third
Published June 20th 2011 by Natural Pet Productions (first published December 1st 2009)

Try our library system, then make copies of the pages you want, this gives you lots of time.

I got a book from a East Coast University several years ago. Think it had to be returned after three weeks. The hard back was going two hundred bucks on A.

Looking for your book I found several on the West Coast Library system.

Chow

Joe

Held formats Distance

What came up looking on East coast system

Marion County Public Library System

Ocala, FL 34470 United States
Book Book 2300 miles
Map It

Library info
Ask a librarian
Add to favorites

Monroe Community College

Rochester, NY 14623 United States
Book Book 2300 miles
Map It

Library info
Ask a librarian
Add to favorites

Union County Public Library

Lake Butler, FL 32054 United States
Book Book 2300 miles
Map It

Library info
Add to favorites

Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative
HCPLC

Tampa, FL 33611 United States
Book Book 2400 miles
Map It

Library info
Ask a librarian
Add to favorites

Orange County Library System
Orlando Public Library

Orlando, FL 32801 United States
Book Book 2400 miles
Map It

Library info
Add to favorites

Sarasota County Library System

Sarasota, FL 34236 United States

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
Dr. Becker's book has been out of stock for while and the next one is out in 2018. The price on amazon is $80!! (it's a $20 book, if I recall).

I would love to have a balanced ground turkey recipe from the book, if anyone on this forum has it. Could you kindly take a pic and paste it here? Or any recipe with chicken or ground beef, but preferably turkey for Cici.

Your so very welcome, if you have a library card for my idea.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 pm 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Cici wrote:

Your so very welcome, if you have a library card for my idea.

Joe

:roll

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:59 am 
Forum Legend

I checked with all the libraries I can drive to in NC and they don't have it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 am 
Forum Legend

You don't need to drive all around if you have a library card, could had used their website. :wink

You walk up to the desk and say I found copies of the book listed @ these libraries

WHO HAS IT ON THE EAST COAST ***** You are correct nothing in N/C as it wasn't listed there.

WHERE TO FIND IT!!! On the EAST COAST

1. Monroe Community College Rochester, NY 14623 United States Union County Public Library

2. Lake Butler, FL 32054 United States Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative
HCPLC

3. Tampa, FL 33611 United States Orange County Library System
Orlando Public Library Orlando, FL 32801 United States

4. Sarasota County Library System Sarasota, FL 34236 United States

5. Marion County Public Library System Ocala, FL 34470

Only five books on the whole EAST COAST region, that just the EAST COAST as there are more NOT all libraries have it. If they did it would make the best seller list :ROFL

It doesn't mean it's in the system any longer just ask if it is.

Ask if they can get the book for you! There are other libraries in the USA system as these were on the EAST COAST that I had found. Not all libraries have it, that is why you need to ask if they can get it for you!!!! I did the foot work for you. I'm guessing you didn't use the link then.

Joe

This link

UNDER GET A COPY is a library link, happy searching, fine print. Then they should be able to get the book if it's still on the self some where in the library system.

link!!!! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/772 ... s-and-cats

CHOW! :joy

Now the book we were after and it came from the EAST COAST was (Kentuck Knob: Frank Lloyd Wright's House for I.N. and Bernardine Hagan) on Ebay today listed for over 400 dollars used and it's not in the USA!

It was less than 15 miles from Falling Waters another house build by Frank Loyd Wright that I had visited.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 am 
Active Forum Member

I sent you a PM, please try to look and get back to me asap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Joe. I don't have a library card, but was happy to get one. I checked with all the libraries around me (online and by calling to confirm).

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
Thanks, Joe. I don't have a library card, but was happy to get one. I checked with all the libraries around me (online and by calling to confirm).

Thanks for your help.

Ask if they can locate one in the lower 49 states for you. I stated I did not find one in N/C lots in Florida.

Chow

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I think I have what Cici was looking for and will send it to her privately.

FWIW, I have library cards in 4 networks in 3 different states. Not all library systems are created equal! Some charge for interlibrary loans and not all libraries will request them from networks not associated with theirs. The entire library I use when I'm in NC could fit into the children's section of my 'home' library. I am very very fortunate that my local library system is quite robust so it was easy for me to request the book for her to get her the info she needs but not everyone is as lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Interlibrary loan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interlibrary loan (abbreviated ILL, and sometimes called interloan, interlending, document delivery, or document supply) is a service whereby a patron of one library can borrow books, DVDs, music, etc. and/or receive photocopies of documents that are owned by another library. The user makes a request with their home library; which, acting as an intermediary, identifies libraries with the desired item, places the request, receives the item, makes it available to the user, as well as arranges for its return. The lending library usually sets a due date and overdue fees of the material borrowed. Although books and journal articles are the most frequently requested items, some libraries will lend audio recordings, video recordings, maps, sheet music, and microforms of all kinds. In some cases, nominal fees accompany the interlibrary loan services.

The term document delivery may also be used for a related service, namely the supply of journal articles and other copies on a personalized basis, whether these come from other libraries or direct from the publishers. The end user is usually responsible for any fees, such as costs for postage or photocopying. Commercial document delivery services will borrow on behalf of any customer willing to pay for their rates.

Procedures

Interlibrary loan, or resource sharing, has two operations: borrowing and lending.

A borrowing library sends an owning library a request to borrow, photocopy, or scan materials that is needed by their patron.
The owning library fills the request by sending materials to the borrowing library or supply a reason for why the request cannot be filled.
If the item is sent, the borrowing library notifies the patron when the item arrives.

Interlibrary loan and resource sharing have a variety of systems and workflows, often based on the scale of service, regional networks, and library systems. Processes are automated by computer systems such as VDX based on ISO ILL standards 10161 and 10160. Two major systems are used heavily: ILLiad[1] developed by Atlas Systems and Worldshare Management System by OCLC.[2] In 2017, OCLC announced a new interlibrary loan management system called Tipasa, which is built on the OCLC WorldShare technology platform, and is the first entirely cloud-based interlibrary loan management system. [3]

Loan requests between branch libraries in the same local library system are usually filled promptly, while loan requests between library systems may take weeks to complete. However, if an item is rare, fragile, or exceptionally valuable, the owning library is under no obligation to release it for interlibrary loan. Some collections and volumes, especially bound journals and one-of-a-kind manuscripts, are non-circulating, meaning that they may not be borrowed. Books may be delivered by mail or by courier service. Photocopies may be faxed, or scanned and delivered electronically. Urgent requests are placed if the item is needed right away; sometimes for additional fees. Public libraries do not usually offer urgent service.
Journal articles

Interlibrary loan provides users with access to articles from journals that their library does not have in its collection or is subscribed to. In the United States, most libraries follow guidelines established by the Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted works (CONTU),[4] which established that libraries should pay publishers' fees if more than 5 ILL requests are filled from within the past 5 years from a specific publication. This guideline is referred to in United States Libraries as the "Rule of Five."

In addition, many journal or database licenses specify whether a library can or cannot supply journal articles via ILL, with many libraries taking an approach to negotiate for ILL to be allowed in licenses.[5] When licensed to send articles via Interlibrary Loan, and having examined the need to pay copyright fees for articles, article processing has become highly automated in Interlibrary Loan. In the early 1990s the Research Library Group (RLG) created and released Ariel, a software that made communicating both photocopies and native digital articles more efficient.[6] In the early 2000s Atlas Systems, creators of the ILLiad software system, created Odyssey, which allowed for direct communication of articles between libraries, and ultimately direct sending of articles to library patrons.[7] Although Odyssey usage and features increased quickly, OCLC realized an important need among its member libraries, and created Article Exchange, which is a cloud-based secure article sharing platform that automatically deletes articles after a specified number of downloads and/or a number of days.[8]

As many libraries shifted their journal subscriptions to digital, and citation information became much more available with tools such as Google Scholar, Interlibrary Loan of articles has effectively become a large part of Interlibrary Loan services.
In the United States

In 1886 U. L. Rowell, Librarian at the University of California, Berkeley, sought permission to begin Interlibrary Loan; his request was granted during the years 1894–1898.

In 1894 Rowell initiated U.C. Berkeley's first program of interlibrary lending, with the California State Library as partner. Later that year Rowell expanded the invitation for a group of libraries, such as NUCMC. Librarians then filled out a standardized form (i.e. an ALA Interlibrary Loan Request Form 2002) and sent it by postal mail to a library that owned a copy. This procedure is still used by the few libraries that are not members of an electronic interlibrary loan network.

In 1994, the Reference and User Services Association (RUSA) of the ALA (America Library Association) formed an ALA Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States, which sought to establish resource sharing as a core service and to provide guidelines for libraries.[9] The RUSA section on Resource Sharing has also engaged in initiatives to expand resource sharing, including the Rethinking Resource Sharing Initiative[10] and Committee.[11]

Since the mid-1980s, searching for books located at other libraries has become easier, as many libraries have enabled their users to search their online catalogs at the library or over the Internet. Today, everyone can freely use WorldCat.org to identify which needed items that are not owned by their local libraries. Medical libraries primarily use DOCLINE, developed by the National Library of Medicine, which comprises libraries in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine.[12]

The Ohio State University and others in Ohio began integrating campus library systems at an early date. In the 1960s, state funds supported the development of the Online Computer Library Center (at that time called the Ohio College Library Center). OCLC has since grown into an international organization with a database of 30 million entries representing materials held in more than 10,000 libraries.

Link+ is an interlibrary loan scheme in California and Nevada,[13][14] and OhioLINK is the system used in Ohio, where the catalogs and databases of the state's libraries are joined electronically.[15]
Resource sharing networks

Libraries have established voluntary associations, often on a regional basis, to provide an online union catalog of all the items held by all member libraries. Whenever a library adds a new title to its catalog, a copy of the record is also added to the union list. This allows librarians to quickly determine which of the other libraries hold an item. Software then facilitates the request and supply tasks. In the U.S., Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) is used by public and academic libraries. Formerly, another network RLIN (Research Libraries Information Network) was used primarily by academic libraries but merged with OCLC on October 1, 2007. Australia and New Zealand use Libraries Australia and New Zealand Libraries' Catalogue[16] respectively, the national bibliographic networks of those countries.

Online requests are usually submitted via OCLC's WorldCat or FirstSearch in the United States. Libraries without access to either can participate in interlibrary loan by submitting requests by postal mail, fax, email, or telephone call. These are referred to as manual requests. Manual requests can be submitted in the United States through the American Library Association. Some libraries establish reciprocal arrangements with each other to supply loans and copies for free. Examples of such arrangements in the United States include Libraries Very Interested in Sharing (LVIS),[17] Amigos,[18] Mid-America Association of Law Libraries (MAALL),[19] Bibliographical Center for Research, and the Greater Western Library Alliance[20] (formerly the Big 12 Plus Library Consortium). Sometimes these arrangements include other services such as the Trans-Amigos Express (TAE) courier services, which will ship and deliver items to Amigos members on the TAE route.[21] Individual libraries can agree to reciprocal arrangements between each other.

One should learn what could be available just using your library card. How the system works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlibrary_loan

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:16 am 
Forum Legend

A big :TWag THANK YOU to Marie for sending me the pages I needed.