An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Clogged anal gland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:05 am 
Forum Legend

So Gromit had a vet visit on Saturday because I needed a renewal on her Heartgard. During her exam, the vet found one of her anal glands severely backed up. She had a lot of difficulty getting it to express, and had to resort to sticking her finger up Gromit's butt in order to express the gland. The contents were thick like toothpaste. Poor dog! But she never showed any symptoms, scooting or licking. This is the second time it's happened, but this was way worse than before.
Does anyone have recommendations for keeping the glands "running smoothly"? I'm thinking of adding raw pumpkin to her diet to see if that will help. What surprises me is that everything I've ready it talks about "loose stools" being a contributing factor, but Gromit's stools are definitely firm.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Clogged anal gland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 am 
Active Forum Member

I used to give canned pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pie filling) to our little Cairn-mix Punkin because she had loose stools and occasional anal gland issues. The pumpkin firmed up her stools and that helped her glands to function properly. But she still had to be expressed once or twice a year. Because the timing seemed to be seasonal, my vet wondered if she might be allergic to something and that was causing the duct from the gland to be a bit blocked. We started her on Benedryl. Unfortunately, a return of spindle-cell carcinoma happened before we could see if the Benedryl helped. You might look at the timing of Gromit's issues to see if it might be a seasonal allergy triggering it.

I give Jennie a kibble that has a bit of pumpkin in it and she has not had anal gland issues so far. But then the pumpkin is not one of the first ingredients, so may not be helping. I would like to say trying pumpkin won't hurt, but my sis-in-law tried it with her Jack Russell and it gave her very bad diarrhea, so go slow to begin with. Just a teaspoon full to start with. Punkin weighed about 15 pounds and I never gave her more than a tablespoon and I mixed it with her food.

Good luck!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers