An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Question about the Bordetella vaccine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

I try not to give unnecessary vaccines to Ruger, try to do titers now, etc. However, when we decided to adopt another dog, we decided to give all our dogs the bordetella vaccine because of where the dog was coming from, rather be safe than sorry than end up with a house full of sick dogs. Also, we are planning a vacation later this year and if we have to kennel the dogs, they require it usually.

Our dogs got their vaccines on Friday. Ruger seemed fine over the weekend. A little worn out after a long day Sunday when we went to pick out another dog, etc. Monday and Tuesday, Ruger seemed a little blah. I don't know if it was all the stress of going to pick out a new dog and bringing him home with us, etc. I don't know if he's stressed and mad at mommy and afraid of sharing me with another dog. I don't know if it's a reaction from the vaccine. He seems better now, but I was just curious if your dog has ever had a reaction to the bordetella vaccine and if I should worry.

I thought I'd ask here, even though it's not a busy forum anymore, but sometimes I freak myself out when I google stuff.

Post subject: Re: Question about the Bordetella vaccine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've never noticed any reaction from Jennie to Bordetella. She's often a bit of a bed-bug after going to the vets but I think that's because she loves going there and gets all worked up seeing them. She usually sleeps all the way home in the car and then takes a nap when we get here. :gig

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Post subject: Re: Question about the Bordetella vaccine
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:08 am 
Active Forum Member

SusanT wrote:
I've never noticed any reaction from Jennie to Bordetella. She's often a bit of a bed-bug after going to the vets but I think that's because she loves going there and gets all worked up seeing them. She usually sleeps all the way home in the car and then takes a nap when we get here. :gig

Thanks for your input!! Ruger seems better now so I don't know if it was the vaccine or an upset tummy due to the addition of a new dog or something else. Ruger is not usually a bed-bug unless he's had a very busy day so his actions were definitely not normal for him. Just thankful it has passed.