An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Be careful of Apoquel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

I hope it's ok to post this here. I recently changed vets and was pretty happy with my new one as she was open to titers and some alternative therapies. She combines eastern with western medicine and has been supportive of me trying to get to the root of Ruger's itchy problems and ear infections via Nutriscan, changing his diet, etc. which seemed to help.

When pollen season came and Ruger started itching again, she suggested Apoquel, but I held off. I don't like drugs unless necessary. I eventually decided to try CytoPoint as that seemed like a more natural approach and it helped a lot. Ruger stopped scratching incessantly and it's been probably 2 months and I haven't felt the need to have him get another shot.

My husband took his dog to the vet for an ear infection. When she asked if he had any other issues, my husband mentioned he licked his feet a lot, so she prescribed Apoquel for it. After a month of Apoquel, he developed a bump on his face. We started reading about the side effects of Apoquel and were appalled that it suppresses the immune system and can cause tumors, etc. We weren't warned about any of these possibilites. The bump was tested and thankfully it is not cancer, they say it is a histiocytoma, hopefully it'll go away. My husband and I truly suspect the Apoquel as the timing is too coincidental. We stopped giving it to him immediately and hope there are no long-term effects.

My husband is annoyed, to say the least, that this was prescribed for something as silly as licking his feet, rather than some of the serious scratching issues some dogs suffer with. Please be careful if your vet recommends this and do your research.

Post subject: Re: Be careful of Apoquel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you for this info. I would be annoyed too.

Post subject: Re: Be careful of Apoquel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 am 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
Thank you for this info. I would be annoyed too.

You're welcome! I should probably mention that DH's dog is not a cocker, he's a Boston Terrier. But wanted to share the experience nonetheless.