The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Has anyone tried CYTOPOINT?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:39 am 
Active Forum Member

I came on the forums this morning to post about something positive. Was sad to read the postings about the loss Cricket and Maya.

I hope I'm not out of line posting this now, but wanted to share the following.

My Ruger had been itching and scratching like crazy. I did the Hemopet food intolerance test which showed a reaction to 20 of 24 tested foods. I drastically changed his diet and that seemed to help...until pollen season started. He was scratching and biting himself so much. I would give him Benadryl occasionally but I didn't want him living on that.

My vet combines traditional medicine with Chinese medicine. Ruger had been getting Chinese herbs and acupuncture which seemed to help at first until the pollen got really bad. I was considering trying Apoquel but then she told me about a new product called CYTOPOINT. You can google it if you want more info, but it isn't a typical drug that has to be processed by the kidneys and liver. Apparently the holistic vets are loving the results, as am I!

Ruger got a shot last Wednesday and I noticed a big difference within a day. The constant scratching and biting have stopped!! I am so impressed and hope these awesome results last.

Just wanted to share and also ask if anyone else has had experience with CYTOPOINT.

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried CYTOPOINT?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

I used Cytopoint on Sasha when it was still in the trial phase and was called CADI (canine auto dermatitis immunotherapeudic), it was only available to select allergists and was very very expensive. My allergist had tried to get me to use it on Sasha for months. We saw really good results with it within hours of the injection. It totally made me a believer.

The positive benefit of this product is you can give an injection and you do not have to do anything; no pills to remember or refill. The lasting effects vary for each pet. You could give a shot and not have to give another one for 6 months or your animal may need one every 4 weeks but you can also suddenly stop anytime without any side effects. It is available to all vets now.

I am sure like with any drug, in the future they will discover there are some adverse side effects but it really does work for instant results which ultimately is what we all want and need for our babies.

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

Post subject: Re: Has anyone tried CYTOPOINT?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Deb in WA State wrote:
I used Cytopoint on Sasha when it was still in the trial phase and was called CADI (canine auto dermatitis immunotherapeudic), it was only available to select allergists and was very very expensive. My allergist had tried to get me to use it on Sasha for months. We saw really good results with it within hours of the injection. It totally made me a believer.

The positive benefit of this product is you can give an injection and you do not have to do anything; no pills to remember or refill. The lasting effects vary for each pet. You could give a shot and not have to give another one for 6 months or your animal may need one every 4 weeks but you can also suddenly stop anytime without any side effects. It is available to all vets now.

I am sure like with any drug, in the future they will discover there are some adverse side effects but it really does work for instant results which ultimately is what we all want and need for our babies.

Thanks so much for replying Deb! I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It is amazing how quickly I saw results. It'll be interesting to see how long one injection lasts. I'm hoping there are no adverse side effects. I'm so particular about what I give Ruger, that I'd hate to be hurting him while I help him. He also seems more calm and relaxed, not constantly scratching and biting, but don't get me wrong, he's still his usual happy wigglebutt self wanting to play fetch and go for walks outside.

I'm so glad I waited for this product. Had been contemplating going through that long drawn out allergy testing but really didn't want to. Hope this turns out to be the answer to his itching. :)