Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Products for those tears
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi,

I see products to help reduce tear staining, but are there any to reduce the amount of tears? Cici's eyes are producing more eye boogers in spring time. She's always produced a fair amount of tears over the course of the day and I keep wiping. I know cocker eyes do this, but is there something you can give to reduce it a bit?? She's black, so I don't see the stains - less concerned about that.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Products for those tears
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 am 
Active Forum Member

Sounds like in the spring she has seasonal allergies. How un-fun, at least it is not year round!

As far as the overall teary eyes though, I have found that by adding good oils (salmon, krill, coconut, missing link, 1TDC, to name a few!) to the dogs diet greatly reduces the tearing. My one girl will get a long stream down her face but it reduces to just a 1/4" flow if she has an oil addition to her meal. You don't have to add a lot or all of these oils, I think it's the Omega 3 that does the trick.

Has she been to an eye doctor? It is possible that she has eyelashes that grow inward and irritate the eyes.

Just a few ideas, good luck!!! Teri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

I agree with Teri on using a type of fish oil to lessen the tear flow. I know with Snickie her eyes are a little more runny at this time of the year, as we spend more time outside, I know she suffers from some seasonal allergies. If we spend more time indoors, there is less tearing.
Several years ago she was diagnosed with conjunctivitis, months of expensive meds with no cure, her eyes ran like crazy with more tear staining. I finally asked the Vet to do the dry eye test and she was borderline, her eyes at that time were only producing 12 drops a minute, should have been at least 15, around 20 is ideal. Sounds strange with less tears being produced that her eyes would be more runny, huh. Anyways I did a lot of research and found that dogs were usually lacking oil, which they need to mix with the water and mucus in their eyes to be balanced, inadequate oil and their eyes run water. So I added more veggies and fish oil, and other supplements and 8 weeks later her tears were at the ideal.
Being a red\buff and a BNR, with light eyes and rims, runny eyes and tear staining is very distracting. With filtered water and oil added to her diet, her tears and tear staining has been eliminated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea. I add coconut oil to her cooked food, but perhaps it is not enough. I am giving her a tsp extra now daily and I'll see how that works. She loves it. She was so happy to get coconut oil as a treat before bedtime :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 am 
Active Forum Member

I haven't been able to eliminate Jennie's tears, which seem to be related to seasonal allergies and the little droop she has in her lower lid. I did find that a little hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball helps to lighten the tear stains and stops them from smelling bad. I'm just careful to keep it away from her eyes.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Oliver would have eye stuff about an hour after waking up. So the last vet visit she removed a growth that was on his ankle the size of double bubble gum, a local and morphine. Then she sold us some antiboic for possible infection. No more eye stuff to wipe off. Very interesting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM

Joe