An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Need advice on bothersome health issue please
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 am 
Active Forum Member

I haven't been on here in a long time but my boy is having some issues and I have a feeling someone here may have the answer.

So, here goes! I apologize in advance if this is a long post, but want to make sure you have all the info to send suggestions over.

Finley is a 5 1/2 year old neutered male cocker that I adopted about 5 years ago. He was very sick when I first got him. The rescue was treating him for tick fever but had never had him to the vet. He finished his meds for that and I was able to neuter him and then start addressing his stomach issues. After exhaustive tests and general health issues we finally found he was allergic to all bird products. I adjusted his diet and his system leveled out - no more liver, stomach, kidney, etc. issues. He has pretty much been the picture of health since. He is on good quality food - Orijen dry and Stella and Chewy's dehydrated meats. I vary his diet from time to time in the higher end brands as much as I can and he has no skin, ear or stomach issues. He is a good weight and relatively active for a 5 1/2 year old.

On and off throughout his life, he has experienced severe eye tearing. I used to give him Angel Eyes with the antibiotics when it got really bad as he would get fungal infections due to the amount of drainage. That product is no longer available so now I give him NaturVet Tear Stain supplement. The tearing seems to have no cause - weather, allergy season, etc....it just appears. The vet has checked his eyes and there are no issues with eyelashes rubbing and nothing else could be found to cause this.

In October, his eyes got really bad. Then he lost 5 lbs in a month (I weigh him whenever I groom him). Nothing else indicated that he was ill, but I went ahead and took him into the vet for a check up. They tested him for Tick Fever and Valley Fever (I'm in Arizona) and general blood work. Everything looked excellent and he was the picture of health according to his blood work. He started to gain the weight back again in the next few weeks and was back to his normal weight of 36 lbs by the next grooming - yes, he's a larger cocker.

Over the next months I noticed him limping on his left front paw slightly. I chalked it up to him playing too rough with his sister. Then the limping continued - all times of day it would appear and then disappear within an hour. It was a slight limp, so I just kept an eye on it and there were no other indications that anything could be wrong. He would go days without the limp and then it would come back. His eye drainage continued and the supplement was helping but only slightly. Eating fine, drinking fine, playing fine, everything else has been normal.

Then one day last month I came home from work and ate dinner. He lays a few feet away from me while I eat (in case I drop something of course!) and when I was done and got up, he did too and could barely walk. The pain was severe in that leg, so much so that he was struggling to stay up. I checked it out and could find nothing in his paw, no sore spot in the leg I gently examined it and couldn't find a source. Within a few minutes he was back to normal and no limp. Huh? So, I called the vet and set up and appointment immediately.

They x-rayed him, did more blood work, tested for Tick and Valley Fevers again, manipulated, poked and prodded and could only get a slight reaction from the bicep area. Nothing showed on any of the tests, he is still the picture of health. No arthritis, bone abnormalities, nothing showed on x-rays. His eye drainage has improved a bit, but even on the supplement is more weepy than normal. He is eating and playing and completely normal on all other counts.

I took him to the groomer yesterday and told her to be careful with the left front leg. I stay with him for the grooming and he was fine with the left front leg being groomed but almost lost his mind when she started working on the right front! WTH? So we gently examined him and found that the pain is now in his right front two toes. We adjusted the grooming to stay away from that area and everything else went fine, as long as we didn't try to handle his paw.

I will mention that he is minimally vaccinated and his titer tests show that he has not needed additional vaccinations since being in rescue. He did, however, according to law, receive his 3 year rabies vaccination last April. I used rabies nosode before and after the vaccination and until now, felt that there were no ill-effects of the rabies shot, but now I don't know?

Please throw any suggestions out there that you can. I have a feeling this could either be immune related or possibly a cocker-specific issue that we're dealing with.

Thank you so much in advance for anything you can come up with. I really appreciate you reading this whole, long post and offering assistance. This guy, as I'm sure you can understand, is my sun, moon and stars and the idea that he is suffering is killing me.

Jenny

Post subject: Re: Need advice on bothersome health issue please
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

lyme disease?

are foxtails an issue where you are?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

For the toes or leg problem make some chicken stock and add it to the kibble. For the eyes try some vitamin D and cod liver oil. How often do you clip the nails, for us it's every two weeks or he sounds like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. :lol3 PILLS D and cod liver oil

Even home made food doesn't help, just as the top line kibble for my cockers health problems. Now he is on very low fat diet at 3 percent as his gallbladder is bad. Only a prescription dog food. Finding things to add to it to make it interesting to eat.

A healthy skin will let the eye stuff run off without staining the skin like a water repellent.

Good luck.

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

just had another thought - how often are you clipping his facial hair? On my current dogs I have to trim the hair around the eyes/nose every 4-5weeks or they get very teary eyes. Its never been a problem with previous dogs.

As soon as I clip the hair, the discharge goes away within a day or 2.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately Fin can't have any type of poultry, so chicken broth is out. He's on a product called Springtime and has glucosamine and all that in it, so we should be covered for joints.

I do keep him trimmed....he's got a full coat in the photo but soon thereafter I cut him down and he is much happier that way, so I keep him short. He's pretty active and there can be no hiking or swimming with the full coat - it would be a mess and hours of grooming after a fun day, which made him very upset as he's not really in to all the messing around. His face is kept short so nothing around his eyes is growing crazy. I also keep his nails trimmed short as we take care of my elderly mother so can't risk him scratching her on accident.

Interesting you said about Lyme....I have Lyme myself and pushed the vet twice to do Tick Fever testing, but the test itself and all of his bloodwork do not point to any kind of tick borne disease. He's healthy as a horse on paper and x-rays and his bloodwork is perfection.

We do have foxtails out in the woods, but he's not been anywhere in the last two years that could be a concern with that. Thanks for the pointer on that, though! Hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it.

I just can't figure out what could be causing this migrating pain. In my mind, it's somehow connected with the weight loss and eye drainage, but I could be completely wrong on that.

Thank you all for the thoughts. What a wealth of information we have on this forum!

Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 am 
Forum Legend

So chicken is out of the question then, Shark cartilage is also said to contain vital amino acids, protein, calcium, and phosphorous. It is used for its pain relief and anti-inflammatory properties to aid in the treatment of arthritis and other joint injuries. It has been used in humans to treat cancer and psoriasis also.

About shark cartilage

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... kjhGyrvqqg

Any open sores use the hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:45 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Jenny,

I haven't been on here for a loong time either but happened to pop in today.
My cockers are all seniors now but I've had one whose had ongoing health problems so I know how frustrating it is in trying to find answers for a beloved pooch.

I've no experience with Lyme or tick disease but wonder if there is the possibility of false negatives in his blood work?

Fran

http://k9knitknots.etsy.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:23 am 
Active Forum Member

I believe Lyme tests are known for having false negatives. Additionally drs (both human * vet) do not always agree regarding the threshold for treatment. Personally, if I suspected lyme, I'd insist on a 2week treatment as a trial since doxy is a pretty mild antibiotic. But, I live in an area known for having a high # of cases of lyme disease.

I really hope you get to the bottom of this

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am 
Active Forum Member

I just wanted to thank you all for your replies. As chance would have it, he has not limped in about 10 days now. I've been keeping an eye on him and he seems to have gotten over it. The eye drainage has returned to normal now - a little bit every day and worse with the wind we've been having lately, but nothing like it was for a while there. I'm sure they are related.

If he starts limping/eye draining again I will push the vet to give us a 2 week course of doxy to see if he responds and it may be a tick related illness.

Thank you all again - my boy is back and feeling fine!

Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Hi Finley's Mom,
So glad to hear your boy is doing well at this time! You mentioned that Angel Eyes are no longer available; if you Google "Angel Eyes" you will find that there are choices of places to order "Angel Eyes." In the past I have ordered Angel Eyes for a veterinarian friend in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada as there is some ingredient contained in the "Angel Eyes" that Canada does not allow. However, my friend has clients that request "Angel Eyes" because this preparation really does work.

I feel your frustration in dealing with Finley's health issues; we're dealing with Reese's atypical Cushing's Disease/Syndrome and trying to get the correct dose of Lysodren which is the appropriate medication for atypical Cushing's; no fun for Reese or for me and it's a very expensive disease to diagnose and treat. However,like you said, my Reese is also the love of my life and no expense will be spared in order for her to have a happy, healthy life (she's now 13 years old).

Hopefully you'll find the answers to get Finley stabilized. By the way, Reese is on Hills ID Low Fat Digestive Care Dog Food which is a prescription food obtained from her primary care veterinarian.

Wishing you and Finley well! :love
Gail and Reese

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:32 pm 
Forum Legend

Gail Mc wrote:
Hi Finley's Mom,
So glad to hear your boy is doing well at this time! You mentioned that Angel Eyes are no longer available; if you Google "Angel Eyes" you will find that there are choices of places to order "Angel Eyes." In the past I have ordered Angel Eyes for a veterinarian friend in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada as there is some ingredient contained in the "Angel Eyes" that Canada does not allow. However, my friend has clients that request "Angel Eyes" because this preparation really does work.

I feel your frustration in dealing with Finley's health issues; we're dealing with Reese's atypical Cushing's Disease/Syndrome and trying to get the correct dose of Lysodren which is the appropriate medication for atypical Cushing's; no fun for Reese or for me and it's a very expensive disease to diagnose and treat. However,like you said, my Reese is also the love of my life and no expense will be spared in order for her to have a happy, healthy life (she's now 13 years old).

Hopefully you'll find the answers to get Finley stabilized. By the way, Reese is on Hills ID Low Fat Digestive Care Dog Food which is a prescription food obtained from her primary care veterinarian.

Wishing you and Finley well! :love
Gail and Reese

Ya, tell me about it. CUSHING and the three percent low fat Digestive Care Dog Food which is a prescription food obtained from her primary care veterinarian. In just 4 months my Oliver's blood work was off the scale. Was going to have more growths removed I wanted the blood test before sugery.

Somethings to add to the kibble is tuna light in water, add the water also. Don't forget the pumpkin at times too. I add unfiltered flax oil with high lignan 360 Organic, then add the best organic whole ground flax seed, and some DE Earth food grade and mix it up.

I would recommend to doing an ultrasound before completing the CUSHING testing, as the gallbladder could be bad!!!! At lease you would know how everything looks inside. I could kick my butt for not having this done last September at UC Davis. All it took was four months. Ten and a half year old male cocker. Vet would not remove the gallbladder as death rate is at 80% for his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ8SiRkUUk

Testing the liver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Dkdkdroxc

Westbridge canine cushing disease adrenal gland ultrasound interpretation

Published on Jan 27, 2014

This video presentation deals with a new way of interpreting the ultrasound findings of a canine patient with pituitary dependent Cushing's disease of the adrenal glands. It is not based on the overall measurement of the size of the gland but instead it looks at the relative changes seen in the distinct layering of the cells that produce the excessive amounts of the hormone named cortisol. This is a non peer reviewed observation that is open for discussion. It is hoped that with the release of this information that others will investigate the possibility that this might be a better way to evaluate the presence of a hyperactive state in an adrenal gland. It is mainly through the use of high resolution linear transducer for the direct imaging of the glands that this concept has evolved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWWoKI-HGg

Hope this helps. Need to ask, high resolution linear transducer for the direct imaging of the glands. I'm going to ask if this high resolution linear transducer for the direct imaging of the gland was done on Oliver or just an averaged testing machine which I think was done on my boy. It was a traveling person that did the test that goes to lots of vets.

How is Finley's blood pressure?

Joe