Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hot Spot advice.....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi all,

My 4 yr old Cocker, Sam, is miserable with a hot spot on his neck.....which, in turn, makes me miserable :-(. It is almost 3 weeks now. I have been to the vet twice....the first time it was cleaned/shaved & prednisone was prescribed. I asked if he should have an antibiotic and she said the pred should do the trick. It didn't (didn't even help the itch, just made him more miserable) and we went back to vet and asked for the antibiotic. It's been 1 week on cephalexin (no pred now) and I 'think' it's a bit better but still not great. I clean it with mild antiseptic, tried witch hazel, benadryl, pet store tea tree/aloe spray, hydrocortisone (stopped that as vet wants it to dry out).....nothing really seems to help the itch (he's wearing a sock on his scratching foot btw).

Any thoughts/advice or should I just be patient and hopefully the antibiotics will do their job? This is his 3rd hot spot in the same place (neck) in his 4 yr life but this one seems to be lingering. The hot spot came up the day after grooming (2 of his hot spots did) so unsure if he was nicked by the razor or perhaps stress or thats just a coincidence....he and my other 2 cockers are groomed professionally every 8 weeks and he doesn't seem to upset about the process. His diet hasn't changed (grain free kibble/chicken bone broth/bit of chicken) so unless allergies may have suddenly occurred...Btw, he is a cocker with A LOT of skin (think sharpei lol) so the folds in his neck do not help the situation.

Anyways, appreciate your help or experiences. Of my 4 dogs (3 cockers & lab), Sam is a lil mama's boy and it's difficult to see him so sad :-(

Janet, Riley, Maya, Sammy & Quinn (lab)

Post subject: Re: Hot Spot advice.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am 
Forum Legend

Hi Janet....

So sorry to hear your pup is miserable. Hot spots are nasty things to treat. I haven't experienced any with my current dog but my previous Cocker used to get them occasionally. Unfortunately that was long enough ago that I don't remember how I treated them. :bang

With any skin issues I usually recommend going directly to a doggy dermatologist. Even though, at first glance, it would seem like this is the more expensive option, I've found that in the long run it ends up being much less expensive. The dermatologist is more likely to diagnose the issue and treat properly the first time. (not saying your vet is wrong here). My dermatologist also didn't charge for follow up visits where the vet charged an office visits every single time.

As for getting a hot spot from the groomers.... it is possible that razor burn could be a contributing factor; his skin could be very sensitive. Or it could be his nails are sharp from getting fresh clipped and he scratched himself. You could ask the groomer to dremel his nails so that they are smoother.

To help keep him from scratching (besides the sock ~ bet he "loves" that LOL) you could try flipping a cone so that instead of covering his face it's backwards and protects his neck. (this only works depending on where the hot spot is located on the neck)

Lastly, if you haven't already, do a quick search of this forum to see what others have tried in the past. Hopefully, you'll get it under control soon.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 1
MACH Points -71
MX Q's - 2
MJX Q's - 2
(edited 12/16)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am 
Forum Legend

I would try some food grade DE Earth on the sore to dry it out. As I have used it on Oliver's warts vto dry them out. Use latex gloves or it will dry out your fingers.

Was it caused by a flea bite?

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

either green or black tea. brew a fairly strong tea and let it cool to at least room temp. then soak a papertowel in the tea and lay it on the hotspot for as long as you can. Or, lay the tea bag on the hot spot.

it could also be caused by nails - if the nails aren't smoothed down, he can scratch a wound open.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for your thoughts :-). After trying every remedy from vet & petstores, I found something that worked for us.....I cleaned the wound with witch hazel (cleans, cools) and applied calendula oil (speeds wound healing, relieves pain/inflammation and helps infection). I found this info while searching online for tips. In 2 days, the hot spot looks 1000x better and Sam's discomfort has greatly decreased! Thought I would share in case it would help someone else :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Great news! Thanks for posting that. I bet it helps someone else before you know it.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

So glad you found something that worked! Will keep your remedy in mind.

I was going to suggest the following: Zymox products. One of our dogs, not a cocker, had so many hot spots on her belly that only got worse because of her licking and scratching. The vet gave her an antibiotic which did nothing. The owner of a local pet store I frequent suggested bathing her with Zymox shampoo about every 3 days. Then we put the Zymox conditioner in a spray bottle with some water to thin it out, and would spray her spots each evening. We also put a kong cloud blue "donut" (don't know the exact name but we call them donuts) on her to prevent her from licking the spots. Although if the hot spot is on the neck that is a moot point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm 
Forum Legend

One of the breeders who used to frequent this forum swore by acne cream for hot spots. I think it would work the same as the witch hazel and dry them.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 am 
Forum Legend

My two cents neem oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax_0frnnGZw

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I just got Jack Jack healed up from a hot spot on his neck - we're just waiting for the hair to grow back over the new skin. On the advice of my friend that is a vet tech I scrubbed it twice a day with antibacterial soap (the kind you wash your hands with) and then sprinkled it with Gold Bond anti-itch powder. That combination worked wonders for him, and after the first couple of days he didn't even try to scratch it. I kept the cone on for about 10 days, but once the worst was over he didn't bother it at all.