Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Beach time
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi,

We are taking Cici to the beach in March (Amelia Island, Florida). Does anyone have any advice on taking your cocker to the beach? I am not sure she would like the water, but I don't want to board her. She is also sporting a short skirt and fluffy legs. Should I cut her hair? Should you rinse the paws after?

She is also not on frontline....worried about ticks. I think it might be her first time at the beach. I will post pics!

Appreciate your advice.

Post subject: Re: Beach time
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:53 am 
Active Forum Member

ours love the beach, not so much the water. soft to run on easy on the joints. If you can get her in the sea it would be good. Ticks and fleas hate water and salt. I really find any negatives.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:51 am 
Forum Legend

State beach here you need a leashed dog. I wouldn't worry about the sand in the paws. It would be a lot worse if a wet dog! Prepare for lots of sand everywhere. Brush Cici on a towel at the beach before leaving.

It's not really safe here on the west coast as we get sleeper waves. You try to save you dog being washed out and families drown trying to rescue it.

We just had a woman swept out last weekend. Woman, 19, swept into ocean at Sonoma Coast beach, dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uiunmjGRSI

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Hope that isn't the beach your going to :OMY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 am 
Forum Legend

Make sure that you bring fresh water for her to drink, and that she doesn't drink the ocean water. A lot of dogs like to charge and snap at the incoming waves, and consuming too much of the salt water will give her the runs in no time! My dog was raised around a fresh water lake, so she just assumed she could drink the ocean water. Not good!

Most public beaches will have a hose or outside shower handy to hose the sand and salt water off of your (or your dog's) body. Take advantage of them, and rinse off your dog when you're done for the day. Salt water is sticky when it dries in their hair, and also can be drying to the skin.

You shouldn't need to worry about ticks near the beach. If you do any rural hiking and she's in and around woods and shrubs, then you'd want to do a tick check.

This probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway. Make sure you bring poop bags to clean up after your dog. Many beaches in FL won't allow dogs at all because of past irresponsible owners, and people are looking for any excuse to ban them again.

Finally, post pictures for all of us to enjoy her beach adventures!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 pm 
Forum Legend

West coast beaches you need to keep your eyes open as they are wild not like the Atlantic's large lake like where we were at one of New Jersey's board walks. Where we were to get my first look at the sunrise over the ocean. Kind of depressing that storm damage years ago in the old towns we drove through.

Don't forget the poop bags.

One of the few south facing state park that is safe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIzvPiWRs6I

James, my guess it's like the west coast of Ireland out here. We have more Darwin's testers some win some make the list.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for the tips on keeping her clean. Yes, we'll have plenty of poop bag rolls on hand. I am pretty sure she'll want to stay as dry as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

Never been to Ireland although can nearly see it from Blackpool, no dogs allowed on beaches from April to September here, most of the UK is the same except some craggy alcoves.Some Towns known to be dog friendly will allow all year round.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm 
Forum Legend

If windy, eye care is needed because of sand blasting. Our Federal parks don't like dogs most state parks don't like dogs, only county parks like dogs. I won't support either that don't like dogs.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm 
Forum Legend

As long as she is leashed, dogs are allowed on Amelia Island.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 am 
Active Forum Member

I've taken the dogs to the beach in FL before. Generally speaking, its more trouble than its worth when on vacation. Their hair ends up quite sticky due to the salt water and sand and they really need a bath after the experience. Not always that easy when you're on vacation. And thats assuming that the beach is clean and not mucky. This past Aug, we were going to take the dogs to the beach and somehow ended up being there ourselves w/o dogs first - it was a nasty mess. we barely went in. I was SO grateful we didnt have the dogs with us! Generally what I've done is schedule some time at a diy dog wash on our way home from the beach.

Also most of our dogs have not enjoyed waves. they're fine at a lake but dislike ocean swimming. Finally, I've heard of some dogs getting sand fleas. Not sure if they're a problem where you're going (they havent been in Miami where we end up).

Occasionally we take the dogs to the beach at home. This ends up much better b/c we have everything we need at home and arent concerned about messing up someone else's property but still I think we enjoy it more than the dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

Please post how your trip with Cici to Amelia Island went. I hope you have/had a wonderful time! Amelia Island is beautiful.

I live in Florida and often wonder how Ruger would like the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

When I lived in Florida I took my dogs to the beach every weekend. I would make sure they got in the water first, so none of the sand fleas would get on them. There aren't many ticks at the beach, those stay mostly in the wooded areas, but those sand fleas are real buggers and bite hard. The sea water will keep the fleas off of them. I would swim my dogs first (or if yours doesn't like swimming see if she will stand in a few inches of it so you can scoop some of it on her and get her nice and wet). That will help with keeping her cooler, too. Make sure you put sunscreen on her nose/ears/belly if she's not outside a whole lot or if this is the beginning of the sun time for you where you are otherwise she'll get sunburn on those sensitive areas. I used to use water babies brand and it's water proof, too. Keep cold water available for her, offer her shade if you can with a beach umbrella or a towel over a couple of coolers so she has somewhere to get out of the sun if she needs to. I personally would walk her until she was dry from the sea water and dust the sand off once she's dry but not rinse her. Fleas are EVERYWHERE in Florida and they don't like the salt water. You can give her a bath once you're ready to go home and are safe from the fleas. No matter what, you'll be cleaning sand out of everything for a month once you get home, anyway, so better to keep your dog safe from fleas and have just a few more grains to clean up! In the summer when I swam my dogs in the ocean every weekend, they never had fleas and none of my friends could believe it. In the winter it was too cold to swim and that's when they would get fleas and then all the mess that goes with that - tapeworms, hot spots, chew marks, etc.

Have a fun trip!
Jenny