An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cocker warts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:21 pm 
Forum Legend

So my little Cricket had a couple of those nasty little warts beginning to come up on her back. I found them Wednesday night, made a mental note of where they were to keep track of them... Came home from work Friday to find that she had scratched herself bloody raw in that area- in fact, she scratched the warts right out! But she did some real damage to her poor skin.

So off to the vet we went on Saturday for "wound care" i.e. shaving the upper half of her back to expose all the gouged skin, cleaning, powder for the oozing. And a shot of cortisone for the itching, and antibiotics for 7 days. Oh, and nail trimming. Bought a kids' t-shirt on the way home to protect her owie. Yikes!

So my question is- is there any way at all to prevent these blasted warts? Or a better way to treat them when they do appear? Cricket had 14 removed by laser when she had her teeth cleaned last year. She has one other one now.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

Post subject: Re: Cocker warts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:41 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm working on four right now. Had gone the natural way with with plant extracts it didn't touch them at 28 bucks. I cut two with the clipper with a ten blade as I didn't know they were there. After a shower and a hair cut one seemed to pop up over night as it showed up where the ten blade was used on his back and wasn't there at that time.

Wonder if he picked it up after brushing against a bush with another dogs urine on it after leaving his urine on the ground? No idea.

Went the stronger way last week With a wart remover that has Salicylic Acid in it. Going to change shampoo that has Salicylic Acid like head and Shoulders, or other shampoo that has Salicylic Acid in it. You could look that up.

Are they sabacish warts as they say looks like an ass hole? Ollie's sure do.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 am 
Forum Legend

Cici has one wart on her chin. All I know is they are highly contagious dog to dog. They are so difficult to prevent and I've searched online for answers before with no great tips.

All i know is to keep them clean and prevent further infection - povidone iodine. it's fine if they lick it as it is not harmful.

Unrelated, but perhaps helpful for the itch - Cici used to have itchiness and some mild redness between her paws. I bought Wham anti-itch spray and it works wonderfully. she stops chewing on her paw, redness goes away and skin looks like normal.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Specialti ... B00AO3O72A

Helps relieve the problems associated with irritated skin whether from hot spots, burns or flea and tick infestations. A must have at home for those little brush burns or the even the non stop chewing and scratching we sometimes experience with our pets and even helps eliminate urine odors. Your pets will love you even more when they can actually stop scratching and pay attention to their pet ..you. Safe on dogs, cats, kittens, puppies, pets. Contains: a blend of Neem oil, tea tree oil, Aloe Vera, Salicylic Acid, Vitamins A, D and E.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:22 am 
Forum Legend

One wart down and a cut body tag, now two larger warts to go. This will be one week on Wednesday.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Sense Oliver been over Grand Pa's wondering what his warts look like?

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Oliver is home and I serviced his warts today as I had to cut off the Salicylic Acid stuff off and reapply they look better and smaller, using Walgreen wart stuff. My guess is that it stops the wart from breathing. and dries it out. Should take a month or two.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Cut off the drying skin along with the chemical today and it's been about 6 hours all the raised area what ever it was is gone. The largest was 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch across. The area is very red I'm putting Neosporin‎ on it now, but first dry it off with Hydrogen peroxide. Now will the fur grow back or would surgery had been better?

The growths looked like raised round wrinkled skin with a dent in the center, making it look like a place where the Shiite comes out.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:03 pm 
Forum Legend

After drying it off it still has that shape.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:25 pm 
Forum Legend

Back to the vet today for a recheck; Cricket still has one spot about the size of a nickel that hasn't healed. Got another 7 days of Clindamycin (she had 10 days). His first drug of choice for skin issues is Cephalexin, but Cricket had an almost-seizure reaction to it in the past, so we're not using it for her anymore. Vet says this is a slower acting antibiotic, so it takes longer. He was pleased with her progress (and did not charge me for the re-check visit).

I can tell she's on an antibiotic: her eyes have stopped tearing, and her feet are white again. i.e. she's not chewing them. So much for those being symptoms of "yeast" - they are bacterial!

Vet also said that "cocker warts" are NOT contagious, but cockers certainly are genetically predisposed to developing them. He said that personally he thinks they are environmental, i.e. skin reacts poorly to something in the environment. Which I find interesting, because my Maggie did not have any at all, she came from Utah, and she was 11.5 years old when I got her. Most cockers begin developing them at around 6 years old.* I wondered if food/kibble plays a role- Maggie had to forage for her food all her life until she was rescued. (and she died of liver cancer).

Vet said maybe someday someone would do research on that, but right now most of the research is on IMHA. we sent Cricket's blood and saliva samples in for the Iowa study. I'm encouraged to hear there are other large studies going on as well.

* When I was heavily involved in cocker rescue, warts or no, was one of the markers our rescue vet used to estimate age of dogs.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am glad Cricket is getting better. I remember with my previous dog, her skin conditions and allergies and warts. One night she woke me up scratching like crazy, she wouldn't stop, so I got up at one in the morning to give her a bath, thought her skin problems were flaring up. Needless to say it didn't help much, and I had to go to work. Like you when I got home she was a bloody mess, it was her throat area, so off we went to the vet on an emergency call, so I couldn't get to see my regular vet. They cleaned her up, a steroid shot and antibiotics. Said not to put a collar on her again, didn't say why and I didn't ask. I had to take the next day off because she just couldn't stop scratching, and I had to wait for the steroids to take affect. I sat and held her the whole day and every time she started to scratch I stopped her. I put booties on her back feet for a couple of weeks. It took several weeks for it to heal up, and that's when I found that it was a wart there. I tried a couple times to put her collar on her but every time I did, she went into a scratching frenzy. She had other warts. but none of them bothered her like that one.

When I got Snickie I wanted to avoid the skin, allergy, and wart issues. So that is why I cook for her and the kibble that she gets, I use it more as treats, is LID. I researched the wart issue, and supposedly it's a virus that all dogs get with exposure to other dogs. Hmm, looks like I can't do much about that, since she is a very social dog and that may be why your Maggie may not have gotten the warts. When the dogs develop them at six or older its a gauge to the vet on the dogs immune system and that it is not working at 100% otherwise they wouldn't develop. My Snickie will be 6 next month and I should probably start her on a vitamin to tweak up her immune system. Some people say over vaccination, but my previous dog only got her rabies shot so I'm not convinced on that, unless it's the rabies vaccine.

I thought at the time with my previous dog I would do what Joe is doing with Oliver, and use an over the counter wart remover, but human warts are different than dogs, and it won't work on dogs. I have only done a little research but I think the thing to boost up the immune system may be blue green algae supplement, but that's not going to get rid of them, only maybe prevent them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:59 am 
Forum Legend

Denise in CT wrote:
I thought at the time with my previous dog I would do what Joe is doing with Oliver, and use an over the counter wart remover, but human warts are different than dogs, and it won't work on dogs. I have only done a little research but I think the thing to boost up the immune system may be blue green algae supplement, but that's not going to get rid of them, only maybe prevent them.

My trouble is I have Oliver half the time as we split his time over at grandpa's and he is back over there for the rain on Sunday and Monday.. Which means misty weather as an old boss said Oregon mist that missed Oregon. Another 1/4 inch of the wet stuff.

Chris Gomes
Back to the vet today for a recheck; Cricket still has one spot about the size of a nickel that hasn't healed. Got another 7 days of Clindamycin (she had 10 days). His first drug of choice for skin issues is Cephalexin, but Cricket had an almost-seizure reaction to it in the past, so we're not using it for her anymore. Vet says this is a slower acting antibiotic, so it takes longer. He was pleased with her progress (and did not charge me for the re-check visit).

Years ago in the Cocker Classic there was an articular about using antibiotics that they need to be prescribed three or four times longer than just two weeks. This will screw up the good flora in the gut. So your damned anyway you go.

I did get some Pet Kelp Wellness Formula with 80 trace minerals it's only good when Oliver is at home. Then could there be lack of vitamin C in the diet? It can't be vaccines as he is on the second year of rabies. and had no boosters sense age of five.

Could it be rubbing against dried urine on bushes as he reads pee mails. Just being a dog.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:51 pm 
Forum Legend

My cocker started getting warts about the time she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Even though the thyroid was managed, I always felt the warts (being a virus) had something to do with the immune system as well. My girls' warts became very big sores on her ear pads, legs and tops of her feet and I kept her pretty bandaged the last few months of her life.

My brother had a problem with a wart on his hand and he started talking grape seed extract (pill form). I know grapes are toxic to dogs, but I don't know if the seed extract would be as well, but worth a shot to research . Just tossing ideas out. Good luck.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
Forum Legend

I have three more weeks to go but it's hard to treat if I don't have Oliver. We will keep track and see what happens. The skin is red and Irritated

I have everything for this except the scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7aTYDwLBuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxCAhY9J5qI

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Looks like they are not warts but sebaceous cyst. Looks like they are turning black and dying. Been treating them with two kinds of Thuja. The J and J cloth band aids will stick to the dogs fur as long as it is short. Only kind that will.

Joe

One might find this interesting to read'

Cyst Remedies for Pets - Earth Clinic
http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/cysts.html

I'm going to change Oliver's drinking water to Fiji drinking water as I don't like the plastic bottle but it's the best over the counter water. Let see if there is something in the tap water.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

My girl has so many of these sebaceous cysts. She's definitely had more pop up in the year or so we've been back in Korea, and since she has some sort of reactions to something in the environment here, it makes me wonder about what it could be. Thankfully hers don't bother her (aren't itchy, etc) but they are unsightly. I won't take her for professional grooming anymore because she has so many. I know where they all are so I just groom her at home.

Are they any natural ways to make these go away? I'm not going to put her under to have them removed since they aren't harmful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:53 am 
Forum Legend

Noting has worked found two more on his body. If you find them small enough you can cut them off. 1/8 inch or so.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:04 pm 
Forum Legend

The vet punched out eleven cyst used staples on all of his wounds. I'm guessing three per wound. So two weeks later one new cyst under his right ear flap she sold me some cream and said rub it on every eight hours, all it did was made it angry and red. So I got out the old garlic press and got some garlic out of the garden, made some oil by pressing one clove and rubbed it on the sore as I did this for several days and it worked better than any expensive cream. The oil harden inside the ear flap. As we are told that garlic is bad for dogs. After his shower it cleaned up nicely I like the look of the cyst now. It's something to try.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am 
Forum Legend

Cici had a wart on her face. Thuja dried it up and it fell off today. Drawback is the smell is strong and she hated it. I applied it twice a day for 5 days and stopped when it was drying. 5 more days later, it fell off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 am 
Forum Legend

We tried that Thuja cream, didn't touch them at all. Now my educated guess it's liver and gallbladder problems. After being on his meds the warts seem to have changed and are drying up better. The DE Earth and rub it in dries it up naturally.

Could be thyroid too, but Oliver's is alright.

Joe