An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A recipe I am playing with
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:23 am 
Forum Legend

I got Dr. Pitcairn's book. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it does encourage raw feeding. I am having a little trouble with substitutions because his recipes have grain. He also used oats, which I know is a great food, but i am wary of giving it to Cici.

Another observation is the huge quantities of food recommended. For cici's size it's between 4-6 cups a day for one of his recipes If I fed Cici that much, she would "walk" on her belly like a seal.

Anyone here feed oats with their food?

This was my latest recipe for Cici's crock pot I made on Friday. I tend to mix her crock pot food with canned food for two reasons: 1. Variety and 2. preventing any imbalance. I suppose I could go to NCSU and get my recipe tested, but I am not there yet.

I welcome any comments or suggestions on this recipe. It doesn't cook for more than 3 hours.

4.5 Lbs of ground turkey (can be beef or whatever).
0.75 lb of chicken liver OR hearts or gizzards
1 15 oz typical can kidney beans. I've used green beans too.
2 medium organic sweet potatoes - I put it in the food chopper
Organic baby carrots - about 3/4 of a small bag
3 large eggs. beaten
4 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
A quick sprinkle of sea salt
4-5 tsps of KAL bone meal - mixed in after cooking is done

She gets DE once a day with her food along with Nusentia Probiotic Powder.

To those of you who cook or feed raw, does this sound like I am on the right track?

Post subject: Re: A recipe I am playing with
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

Cici wrote:
I got Dr. Pitcairn's book. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it does encourage raw feeding. I am having a little trouble with substitutions because his recipes have grain. He also used oats, which I know is a great food, but i am wary of giving it to Cici.

Another observation is the huge quantities of food recommended. For cici's size it's between 4-6 cups a day for one of his recipes If I fed Cici that much, she would "walk" on her belly like a seal.

Anyone here feed oats with their food?

This was my latest recipe for Cici's crock pot I made on Friday. I tend to mix her crock pot food with canned food for two reasons: 1. Variety and 2. preventing any imbalance. I suppose I could go to NCSU and get my recipe tested, but I am not there yet.

I welcome any comments or suggestions on this recipe. It doesn't cook for more than 3 hours.

4.5 Lbs of ground turkey (can be beef or whatever).
0.75 lb of chicken liver OR hearts or gizzards
1 15 oz typical can kidney beans. I've used green beans too.
2 medium organic sweet potatoes - I put it in the food chopper
Organic baby carrots - about 3/4 of a small bag
3 large eggs. beaten
4 tablespoons of organic coconut oil
A quick sprinkle of sea salt
4-5 tsps of KAL bone meal - mixed in after cooking is done

She gets DE once a day with her food along with Nusentia Probiotic Powder.

To those of you who cook or feed raw, does this sound like I am on the right track?

I can't answer your questions but will be watching this thread for ideas. After Ruger turned his nose up at the beef stew I made (that had kidney beans and veggies) and then the Stella and Chewy's raw meat patties I bought, he is eating Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw (which he loves). The vet and I decided he will stick with that for now and see what happens before trying new things, since he had reactions to 20 of the 24 items tested for. However, after James' comments, I'm wondering if he had yeast issues that gave false positives.

Anyway, I saw on Amazon that Pitcairn has a new revision of his book coming out so I was waiting for that, but I'm anxious to get it. I hope Cici likes her new concoction. Sounds yummy! What is the DE powder for?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 am 
Active Forum Member

The recipe sounds yummy! One thing I question is the kidney beans. From what I have read, the non meat protein is not processed by dogs the same as meat protein. I have read that non meat protein can cause kidney damage over time. So if you alter this recipe by leaving out the beans, the meal could be low in protein. This food thing is overwhelming!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 am 
Active Forum Member

Teri in Idaho wrote:
The recipe sounds yummy! One thing I question is the kidney beans. From what I have read, the non meat protein is not processed by dogs the same as meat protein. I have read that non meat protein can cause kidney damage over time. So if you alter this recipe by leaving out the beans, the meal could be low in protein. This food thing is overwhelming!!!!

Very overwhelming!! Interesting about the kidney beans. Ruger did not like the stew with kidney beans. In fact I believe he is the one that threw up a few times while on the stew (we have three dogs so I couldn't be sure). He didn't throw up his whole meal but something wasn't agreeing with him, possibly the beans. Sorry if TMI.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:41 am 
Forum Legend

Teri in Idaho wrote:

Ah! Interesting. I got the kidney beans idea from Dr. Pitcairn's book. He uses oats too. Obviously one size does not fit all and he does recommend substitutions where needed. I think we probably overthink this food thing. Every human meal we eat is not necessarily complete. So perhaps some variety over time is all that is needed.

I could increase the eggs or just give her an egg here and there if the protein is low and omit beans. Or I could add limited ingredient canned lamb or beef to her food as a topper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 am 
Active Forum Member

The protein is not just from kidney beans. If you look at the ingredients in a dry kibble for example, you will see pea protein, soy, corn, grains all have a protein level. The overall protein listed is not just from the meat proteins, it includes the plant protein also. It is so hard to read the ingredient/guaranteed analysis.

As far as the oat/ grains in food, a small ratio is fine if your dog is not allergic to them. I do not add them, and instead use fruits and veggies with high nutritive value. I use an 80/20 ratio. I really do suggest Dr. Karen Becker's book, "Real Food for Dogs and Cats" (I don't have my book right now, I think that is the title!) Her recipes are for raw. The book would be so informational to read as it explains so much even if you choose to cook your food. She includes recipes, vitamin supplement info, explains how the digestive system works in dogs.

For sure, a good variety sure helps to cover the bases!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:56 pm 
Forum Legend

Anyway, I saw on Amazon that Pitcairn has a new revision of his book coming out so I was waiting for that, but I'm anxious to get it. I hope Cici likes her new concoction. Sounds yummy! What is the DE powder for?[/quote]

Cici LOVES her crock pot food mixed with canned meat. She can't wait to eat. I am considering dropping beans and increasing the meat. Her hemopet nutriscan results said it was fine to give her kidney beans and garbanzo beans. Dr. Dodds also recommended tapioca. Interesting....

Dr. Dodds recommends testing her again. I did it a year ago. Not quite prepared to spend $300 again as she is fine. I am just going to continue looking for and modifying recipes.

This is DE: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/be ... ous-earth/. It is a cleanser of sorts. Great for people, too,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Well, I noticed Cici was getting itchy about a couple months ago. There were a couple of dark spot near her "privates" - sure indication of yeast. I sprayed duoxo chlorexidine spray on that and it went away.

I completely eliminated all carbs (potato) from her crock pot and double-checked her canned food that i mix in. within two-three weeks (and bathing), she is no longer itchy. I have altered the recipe to have meat, organs and veggies (plus her purchased food).
No more kibble either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 am 
Active Forum Member

I feed oats to my dogs when i want to up their vit B and when I want to put weight on them. I generally havent had a problem with it except with my current dogs. I dont think that oats are bad per se - I just think they need to be a much smaller portion of food than pitcairn and others recommend.

Oats are not "biologically appropriate" meaning that a wild dog would never stop and cook themselves a bowl of oatmeal, but I gave up on worrying about 'biologically appropriate' when I realized how far from 'wild' our dogs are in general. ;)

When I make oats, I make 2 cups, add a few eggs including their ground up shells. I pour on black strap molasses and add in coconut oil.

I would recommend putting any beans through the food processor so they have a better chance of being digested.

Is the calcium balanced? I dont have my Pitcairn book handy to see what he recommends in terms of calcium replacement. When I was using his recipes I always used eggshells instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:22 am 
Forum Legend

Add Bob's milled whole flax seed, found at a health food kind of store. Ours keep it chilled in a cooler.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Don't need to cook it, just sprinkle on the food. It's great for a dog with cushings it's taste is nutty. A very good oil too is available.

Joe