An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I get a call from the vet about Oliver's liver blood work
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:09 pm 
Forum Legend

I missed the vet call by seconds as I was reading a book didn't have a phone near me. We went to the vet yesterday to have blood panel done. They called and left a message to call back, so I did within seconds I just missed the vet that called.

Just to many non-important calls in today's world, I so I use caller ID. No call list doesn't work anymore.

Well it looks like either CUSHINGS or cancer I don't have the blood work test report as of yet, but doesn't sound good.

I'm just one mad person today. It's so hard to find a great medical vet here in Northern Cal, even UC Davis, systems suck. So possible full blown CUSHINGS now, I do believe he does.

Joe

Post subject: Re: I get a call from the vet about Oliver's liver blood wor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:48 pm 
Forum Legend

Well we'll do the ultrasound on Wednesday AM. He'll make his eleventh birthday. The enzymes levels
are a lot worst than four months ago.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

Oh Joe....I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say.

The medical system for humans and our pets can be so frustrating. Hope you are able to find a good vet that can help Oliver. Please keep us posted on any developments. Sending good wishes your way and hugs to Oliver.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Ultrasound shows enlarge liver as I knew that from UC Davis visit last September. Inflamed enlarge gallbladder I guess I didn't ask if stones. The medicine I bought at Costco is for gallstones for humans for Oliver. Of course the vet told me it could explode, 20% of removal is death during operation. It seems that the vet want to tell you the bad stuff. Didn't think the vet wasn't happy that I wanted to go to Costco to get his meds. WOW! 157.00 FOR BOTH PRESCRIPTION.MEDICINES. One had the cost of 240.00.

Gallbladder Mucocele in Dogs

Gallbladder mucocele causes obstruction of the gallbladder's storage capacity due to the formation of a thick, mucoid bile mass inside the gallbladder, impairing its ability to function. The accumulated bile may extend the gallbladder, resulting in necrotizing cholecystitis – tissue death due to inflammation of the gallbladder.

Gallbladder mucocele is common among middle-aged to older dogs, particularly Shetland sheepdogs, cocker spaniels and miniature schnauzers, and is not gender-specific.

I do know I never said anything in here that Oliver had torn his rear ACL of course the vet wanted to do surgery guess what that is a scam too. I was looking into stem cell injection. It took a year for him to heal and jump onto the bed or in car. Doesn't show any weakness in his left rear leg today and the vet was surprised. He still walked his 3.3 miles a day:joy

The vet sold me Royal Cane low fat vet sold only I guess less fiber also not cheap kibble.

It all points to CUSHINGS, and UC Davis had failed us, four months later. Why I hate the medical system for humans and animal vets. I'm looking for another vet. It sounds like CUSHINGS is the cause of his skin growths also, as he has probability another dozen again. They should know this by now.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:35 am 
Active Forum Member

They told me something similar 6 years ago about the liver, just ignored it added some msm to his diet. I did say he would be dead by 10 and evreyone on here said no, guess I was wrong 11 now still going. Don't forget the DE to remove toxins that the liver would normally do, 1 heaped teaspoon once aday in the morning without any other medication, add anything else to evening meal. Forget the cushings and all that crap the DE will sort all that out. Like myself you have learned to much and forgotten what worked in the past then stopped doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks James, did your dog have high blood pressure?

Oliver is on human gallbladder medicine for his Gallbladder mucocele causes obstruction of the gallbladder's storage capacity due to the formation of a thick, mucoid bile mass inside the gallbladder, impairing its ability to function. The accumulated bile may extend the gallbladder, resulting in necrotizing cholecystitis – tissue death due to inflammation of the gallbladder.

They want to test for his Cushing no way as he is the second longest living cocker we had. Looks like a low fat diet for him now. I do find it interesting they didn't say any thing about his ears as they push some kind over the counter drops. Didn't say anything about his teeth. I could had bought a bison or a buffalo with all the blood work and urine work. My free catch was contaminated. Possible germs came fromn the tip of his penis. :lol3 Three more years he'll out live or first cocker. :joy Going in Friday for another blood pressure test and they want to talk me into his possible CUSHINGS. I didn't ask for his liver enzymes work up as yet. I'm guessing to rich of food for the gallbladder. The drug is URSODIOL

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 am 
Forum Legend

After being on blood pressure medicine for two weeks he failed again, so double it. At lease he had no weight on his front leg this time compared to UCD Vet tech.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

My cocker Holly had her gallbladder removed 3 years ago because of that gallbladder mucocele. Since then her alk phos is always high. Her liver values were off the charts back in November and she was on antibiotics for 6 weeks. Was told she had liver disease but after the Meds were finished, her values were all fine. Now they said it was a liver infection and not liver disease. Now we're dealing with vestibular issues. Going back to the neurologist tomorrow. Then finding a nutritionist to help with a homemade diet. I think these dog foods are half her problem. Was on natural balance fish & sweet potato but switched o honest kitchen in December. Since she's been on HK she's had vestibular problems. Hope Oliver is feeling better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 am 
Forum Legend

By Dr. Becker

Today we're going to discuss vestibular disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUWRXUinWBY

I'm waiting for April 11 blood pressure test. Then possible ultrasound test, I really don't know if it is worth it.

Thanks for your input.

Oliver really was never on kibble just some back up kibble so he might get minerals vitamins.

If I have to guess it's the flea junk that we put on our pets skin. Just trying to get to the ripe age of 15.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 am 
Forum Legend

Today another blood pressure failure after upping his intake to two pills every day every12 hours. Now the vet wants 1 1/2 pills every 12 hours. It will never work he is to stressed out. More blood work done today.

Making another ultrasound appointment to see what condition his gallbladder condition is in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULOC--qUOI :lol3

Joe