An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: My Dog Has Yeast on His Paws
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:23 am 
Active Forum Member

My cocker, Smokey, has developed a habit of licking his front paws constantly and would spend hours gnawing at them, especially underneath. This problem started three weeks ago and I thought it was just a way of him passing time. Unfortunately I have noticed yeast growing deep inside his toes. That's what is driving him nuts with itching. I know I have to take him to the vet but does anyone know what could have caused this problem and how to prevent it in the future?

Post subject: Re: My Dog Has Yeast on His Paws
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:38 am 
Forum Legend

When you say yeast growing, what does it look like? Is it red?

there could be many causes - food or environmental and what i've learned from this forum is that it has to be tackled from the inside and the outside. you could search this forum and find plenty of information.

If Smokey's food has not changed, then perhaps it is not a dietary cause. Do you feed grain free? Any change in diet? Even still, I would introduce Nusentia probiotics powder from amazon. Very helpful for my Cici.

Cici tends to chew her paws if they stay wet or damp between her paws. I make sure to keep them dry or mostly dry. Moisture can cause bacterial issues. I know it's not her diet so I use Wham anti itch spray and duoxo spray and it goes away within a day or two. I know I sound like a broken record, but not letting her paws remain wet (she has thick fur) and these sprays have really helped.

https://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexid ... dine+spray

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Specialt ... B005IGQL3G

If I suspect anything, I use her ear cleaner to wipe the space between the paws that is bothering her. (https://www.amazon.com/Animals-Ear-Solu ... +solutions

her paws get dirty so i try to wash her paws twice a month and bathe her every 3-4 weeks. some people bathe every week, but every dog is different and that would be too much for cici.

If it continues, you might have to look at his diet.

Also, the vet might likely prescribe antibiotics. you may have to to do that if the problem is serious, but in that case, since they destroy good bacteria in the gut, i would definitely add the probiotics to combat yeast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

realize this is a little late but for yeasty feet, dilute original (brown) listerine 50/50 with warm water and soak the paws for as long as you can (up to 5min) when I had to do it, I found it was easiest done by pouring in a disposable cup and holding the foot in the cup.

If the feet are yeasty, check the ears - often the infection is passed via scratching from feet to ears and back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:09 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Apple Cider vinegar-fill a bowl and dunk his paws. Use the good stuff Braggs for best results. At least when he licks his paws after it is not toxic.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy