An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Blastomycosis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:02 am 
Active Forum Member

Has anyone on here every dealt with Blastomycosis. Our 10 year old Cocker Spaniel has just tested positive for it. He has already went blind in one eye which will have to be removed after we are sure he is responding OK to the anti fungal medication.

Poole's He's So Fine AKA Toby

Post subject: Re: Blastomycosis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Active Forum Member

Lana P wrote:
Has anyone on here every dealt with Blastomycosis. Our 10 year old Cocker Spaniel has just tested positive for it. He has already went blind in one eye which will have to be removed after we are sure he is responding OK to the anti fungal medication.

Is it contagious? humans can get it if I remember from years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:42 am 
Active Forum Member

I understand that humans can get this but not from the dog unless their immune system is compromised. I have read some dogs have weeping sores from this but Toby doesn't. His breathing is a bit shallow and his eye was the first that brought our attention to it. At first we thought it was glaucoma which I guess it is but it is secondary to the blasto. We have him on itranconazole but we are finding he can be very stubborn taking his meds. Use to he would take them in his food but he is off food right now and I am having to put the pill in his mouth and stay with him till he swallows. I hate doing this but he has to have the medicine. I had never heard of this till now and we were totally shocked by the diagnosis. For now we are treating a month at a time to see how things go. It isn't a good diagnosis.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 pm 
Forum Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5MA0Q-rUb4

On the west coast there is something more harmful in our waters. It can kill dogs in hours. This has started about two years ago during our drought and shuts down their kidneys. It's found in a new kind of algae in fresh warmer waters and spreads with water foul as the liberals won't tell you this. I heard it was in forty different lakes, or rivers as the biggest infected is Shasta Lake. As it's the fresh water supply for southern California. So the warning went out not to let your dogs splash in the lake. Same with people and fishing and water skiing, so there goes the tourist with their boats.

I read about what your dog has it's is more common in the Midwest.

I have read that if your dog is on any kind of medicine it should be on it two to three times longer than just a month. Which is recommended by most vets. Boy this is some really bad fungus infection. Seem that it stays with the dog, as it shows up again in several years.

A trick that I have used on by cocker is using a tablespoon and mast the pill with STAGG CHILI steak house reserve, it's very chunkie with beef and beans. I'll suck off the grease. He'll take his pills that way off the spoon. It's so easy my wife can't believe it. Need to get her or him use to it by faking the dog several times. I use it on my Milk Thistle for Oliver which has a smell to it.

Costco is the best place to buy any drugs as they only charge 10 percent over cost, vets love the mark up as they like to make money over the visit and it's all up to you where you can get the meds. I would ask the Costco Pharmacy if they can service your needs.

Good luck

Joe

Here is the article in the paper.

The good news, is Shasta Lake, after years of drought, now has plenty of water. The bad news is, you shouldn't swim in it or boat on it.

At least not in the Pit River Arm of the lake. Cyanobacteria, a toxic blue-green algae that could endanger your health, is spreading in the area.

The Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control warned people to avoid contact with algae-tainted water and guard against swallowing any of it or inhaling water spray.

The algae bloom can appear as pea green with light streaks or sometimes with blueish tints. It also gathers in slimy mats and brown or white foam.

Exposure to cyanobacteria can cause skin rashes, mouth ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea, and cold- or flu-like symptoms. Children and pets are particularly susceptible. Dogs should not be allowed to drink the tainted water.

Boiling algae water does not remove the toxins. Eating fish caught in the lake is not recommended, but if you do, be sure that all the guts and liver are removed and that the meat is flushed with clean water.

The Shasta bloom is roughly located between the "no ski" buoy markers near the middle arm and the buoys at the heat of the Pit Arm.

Shasta Lake is the largest reservoir, in terms of area and depth, in California.

A similar algae warning was issued for Pyramid Lake in Los Angeles County, the Los Angeles Times reported.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/D ... 380236.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yes we know the treatment is long. It may be as long as 4 months or even 8 months. We are just going month by month to see how he reacts to the medication. We have found it cheaper at a Pet Pharmacy so that is good news. It is less than half of what we paid for this months. It isn't cheap. He has to have his left eye removed soon but we will have to see how his lungs look first. They will do a chest x-ray in the next couple of weeks and then schedule the surgery if the lungs look OK. He took pills this evening with syrup and pancakes. But it isn't usually this simple. He had a bad day today and slept most of the day. Lethargy was the first symptom we noticed but we thought it was his age and the hot weather we had this summer. At first we thought he had glaucoma which it is but it is secondary to the blasto.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:47 pm 
Active Forum Member

http://www.earthclinic.com/mobile/full- ... hp?p=58255

Maybe another option

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:32 am 
Active Forum Member

James wrote:
http://www.earthclinic.com/mobile/full-thread-mini.php?p=58255

Maybe another option

The problem with adding more is we are having a heck of a challenge to get the Itraconazole down him right now. He is also on a pill for his hips and with the added two a day of the Itraconazole he is already taking 3 pills a day. He has got onto all of our little tricks and is stubborn as a mule to get them
down him. But I will take a look and see.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:16 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through, it sounds awful. Years ago in obedience school the instructor taught us how to give pills-easy, no drama, no fuss, etc. This was back in the daily heartworm pill day so I got quite good at it, and I still do well as Riley takes meds daily, and if he spits it out of the cheese then down the hatch it goes. I will try to explain it as best I can.

Put the pill between your thumb and either forefinger or middle finger, you will have to figure out which finger works better. Open dogs mouth, put your fingers with pill back as far as you can and flick the pill with your fore or middle finger toward the back of the throat. If successsful the tongue comes out and licks the nose. No throwing it in, holding mouth shut and messaging throat, no hiding it in food, this method should automatically stimulate the swallowing reflex. No drama, over in a second, you get dog saliva on your hand, so what. Try it, may take a bit to master it, but I have been doing this for years and it works. I hope it works for you as you have all you can do to get everything in him needed. Riley knows his pill is in the cheese so sometimes he spits it out.

Hope he gets cured from this.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 am 
Active Forum Member

[

Put the pill between your thumb and either forefinger or middle finger, you will have to figure out which finger works better. Open dogs mouth, put your fingers with pill back as far as you can and flick the pill with your fore or middle finger toward the back of the throat. If successsful the tongue comes out and licks the nose. No throwing it in, holding mouth shut and messaging throat, no hiding it in food, this method should automatically stimulate the swallowing reflex. No drama, over in a second, you get dog saliva on your hand, so what. Try it, may take a bit to master it, but I have been doing this for years and it works. I hope it works for you as you have all you can do to get everything in him needed. Riley knows his pill is in the cheese so sometimes he spits it out.

Hope he gets cured from this.[/quote]

The biggest issue right now is getting him to open his mouth. He has learned to actually clamp his mouth shut. However this morning we were able to put the capsule in and then I rubbed some butter on his lips and he started licking it and down went the pill. Sometimes in the evening he will sit and watch my husband eat and he can sneak the pill in the bite of his supper. I will get the pill down one way or the other as he has to have it. He has actually acted better the last couple of days. He has wanted to be outside with my husband and not laying around sleeping. So I feel that is a good sign. One day at a time!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 am 
Forum Legend

Just heard of this recently... someone in my agility class lost her Golden ... it was misdiagnosed and he was not put on the correct meds. I didn't want to upset her too much by talking about it .. but from what I've gathered she has no idea where her dog picked it up. She did nothing wrong. It's just out there in our environment and there is no way to avoid this. Your in for a long haul for healing but at least the correct meds give your dog a good shot.

Good luck with the pills... my previous cocker was terrible at taking meds ... we tried everything. Some of the things that worked briefly (they are too smart for their own good) wrap the pill in soft white bread, peanut butter, applesauce, cheese, yogurt and yes the method that Sandy described (well done with the description Sandy!). The important thing with her method is to get the pill back as far as you can and the hold the mouth shut and stroke the throat. You could also try blowing gently on his face while doing this to get him to swallow.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am 
Active Forum Member

Lisa R wrote:
Just heard of this recently... someone in my agility class lost her Golden ... it was misdiagnosed and he was not put on the correct meds. I didn't want to upset her too much by talking about it .. but from what I've gathered she has no idea where her dog picked it up. She did nothing wrong. It's just out there in our environment and there is no way to avoid this. Your in for a long haul for healing but at least the correct meds give your dog a good shot.

Good luck with the pills... my previous cocker was terrible at taking meds ... we tried everything. Some of the things that worked briefly (they are too smart for their own good) wrap the pill in soft white bread, peanut butter, applesauce, cheese, yogurt and yes the method that Sandy described (well done with the description Sandy!). The important thing with her method is to get the pill back as far as you can and the hold the mouth shut and stroke the throat. You could also try blowing gently on his face while doing this to get him to swallow.

Yes it is often misdiagnosed. In fact at first we just thought he had glaucoma, then later he had a couple of seizures and that is when we tested for Blasto. We have lived here for 48 years and never had a pet get this, never even heard of it and now we know more than we care to know. We have lots of wooded areas and guess that is where he contracted it. We will never know for sure. He has lost the one eye and next week we will take him in for an x-ray to see how the lungs look. If they look OK then the eye has to come out. Thanks for your suggestions. We have just learned to be very sneaky with him. He is such a sweet boy but he is stubborn and too smart!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:10 am 
Active Forum Member

After two good days Toby had a bad day yesterday. Two seizure episodes and today has fell down twice just walking. I am afraid we will have to make a difficult decision if these keep up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 am 
Forum Legend

Lana...

I keep coming back to this post to see updates....I hope Toby rally's for you. Just know that my thoughts are with you.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:11 am 
Active Forum Member

Lisa R wrote:
Lana...

I keep coming back to this post to see updates....I hope Toby rally's for you. Just know that my thoughts are with you.

Thank you Lisa for thinking of us. We are still hanging in there. After the bad day on Tuesday he has been doing OK. Last night he acted like he didn't feel well as he was really restless at bedtime. I so wish he could talk to us. I think some of that was due to the medication he is taking. We are just taking each day as it comes. I am going to get in touch with his Vet on Monday and see where we go next. He really needs the eye out as the pressures are too high and that alone could make him feel bad. Again thanks for thinking of us!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00 am 
Forum Legend

Here is a tip for getting the mouth open. Growing up on a ranch, this is how we put a bridle bit on a horse and it works on dogs too.

Pull your dog close so he does not pull away. Place your left hand over the top of his nose, placing your thumb and middle finger in the back corner of each side of his mouth. He should automatically open his mouth. If not, press the thumb and finger a little bit. Then, slip the pill towards the back of the tongue, close his mouth and blow into his face. This will cause him to swallow.

I used to have several pills to give my cocker.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

If at this stage and still eating 2 teaspoons of diatomaceous earth with every meal is the only root I would take, no meds, keep it up 90 days.

http://www.ourhealth.com/conditions/inf ... stomycosis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:12 am 
Forum Legend

Lana P wrote:
Lisa R wrote:
Lana...

Thank you Lisa for thinking of us. We are still hanging in there. After the bad day on Tuesday he has been doing OK. Last night he acted like he didn't feel well as he was really restless at bedtime. I so wish he could talk to us. I think some of that was due to the medication he is taking. We are just taking each day as it comes. I am going to get in touch with his Vet on Monday and see where we go next. He really needs the eye out as the pressures are too high and that alone could make him feel bad. Again thanks for thinking of us!!!!!

Hope it goes well at the vets today.... So hard not being able to communicate with them! You can only take it one day at a time... and I hope today is a good one.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:23 am 
Active Forum Member

Hope it goes well at the vets today.... So hard not being able to communicate with them! You can only take it one day at a time... and I hope today is a good one.[/quote]

Toby is scheduled to have his surgery to remove the bad eye on Tuesday. He will do X-rays first to determine if it is safe to do the surgery. This should help relieve some discomfort that he is sure to have from the pressure being high in the bad eye. We are so praying he doesn't lose the good eye. We will wait a few weeks yet before we do a retest for the Blastomycosis. We have been having better results getting his medication down thank goodness. The last few days have been pretty good for him. As you said we are taking it a day at a time. Ordered new medication at less than half the price we paid for the first month. So happy for that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:02 am 
Forum Legend

Just checking in to see how Toby is doing.... hope he is well.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:17 am 
Active Forum Member

Lisa R wrote:

First thank you for asking and thinking about our boy. He had another spell yesterday morning where he was walking like he was drunk but by afternoon he was doing well again. At least he didn't go into a full seizure. Tomorrow we take him in for his chest X-ray and if it is OK the vet will go ahead and remove the bad eye. This will give us a better picture of how the medication is working as we will know how much of the fungus is in the lungs. This is his 4th week on the medication. Finally we are getting him to take it better. He still doesn't like it but he knows I am persistant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 am 
Forum Legend

Lana P wrote:
Lisa R wrote:

First thank you for asking and thinking about our boy. He had another spell yesterday morning where he was walking like he was drunk but by afternoon he was doing well again. At least he didn't go into a full seizure. Tomorrow we take him in for his chest X-ray and if it is OK the vet will go ahead and remove the bad eye. This will give us a better picture of how the medication is working as we will know how much of the fungus is in the lungs. This is his 4th week on the medication. Finally we are getting him to take it better. He still doesn't like it but he knows I am persistant.

Hope it goes well tomorrow... I know how wearing it is to keep being persistent with those pills ... hope your persistence pays off with a good report tomorrow. My thoughts are with you and Toby.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hope it goes well tomorrow... I know how wearing it is to keep being persistent with those pills ... hope your persistence pays off with a good report tomorrow. My thoughts are with you and Toby.[/quote]

Toby's X-ray looked good so the surgery proceeded. He got to come home last night. It was a long night for us. He was restless but finally wanted to get up at about 2:30 and was pretty wobbly on his legs and just acted confused. I am sure he wondered what in the world we had done to him. He cried and I cried. But today he is finally doing better and getting use to the hateful cone he has to wear until stitches come out. So now we continue with the Blasto medication for a month or two till we decide to have him tested again for the Blastomycosis. I have attached a photo from last night. Our beautiful boy.

Attachments:
DSC02379.JPG
DSC02379.JPG [ 71.44 KiB | Viewed 1244 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:19 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I had a friend whose dog had both eyes removed. She was so stressed out about the decision, but it ended up being the best thing they could have done. The change in Taffy was immediate and very positive. I hope that Toby feels much better without that bad eye, and that the blasto meds are working their magic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am 
Active Forum Member

KLADCkrs wrote:
I had a friend whose dog had both eyes removed. She was so stressed out about the decision, but it ended up being the best thing they could have done. The change in Taffy was immediate and very positive. I hope that Toby feels much better without that bad eye, and that the blasto meds are working their magic.

Thank you. I think once the cone is removed he will do fine. He really doesn't like it. We are keeping are fingers crossed the meds clear up the blasto!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:56 am 
Forum Legend

Oh bless his heart (and yours!) I hope your beautiful little boy starts to turn the corner and feel better. I keep coming back to this post and worrying like he was my own dog. Once he heals from the surgery, I hope he feels much better without the pressure in his eye.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl