An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Benefits of an Outdoor Dog Kennel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:39 am 
Active Forum Member

I wanted to know if anyone has used this outdoor dog kennel before. If yes, what are the benefits and possible setbacks? Please advise..

Post subject: Re: Benefits of an Outdoor Dog Kennel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 am 
Forum Legend

My question would be, if you're looking into an outdoor kennel then why do you have a cocker? What they really want is to be near their people, not outside alone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:02 am 
Forum Legend

My sentiments exactly, Darra. This is not for cockers.

And not for most dogs really. Dogs were bred by us to be our companions and they are pack animals. It is not natural to separate them and it is distressing for them. We have a responsibility toward them.

Only some dogs, like sled dogs and sheepdogs perhaps have become accustomed to being outside for long hours, but even still, they spend most of the day actively engaged with their work and their people.

Putting them in a cage outside even for some outdoor time is a recipe for frustration. They are outside, yes, but they are very restricted. They can see stuff, but can't do anything.

When Cici wants outside time (I don't have a fenced yard), we use an outdoor tie out, and someone is with her. If lf left alone, a number of things could go wrong with a tie-out too. I don't recommend leaving the dog unsupervised.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:02 am 
Forum Legend

My two cents, only people that I know with out door kennels were show dog people. They used pee gravel for them to walk and run on. (TALK ABOUT BARKING) This means eight or more dogs, one had thirteen and ran a day care. At night they had a building with crates for her dogs as the dogs were trained which crate was theirs to call it a night. For a dog or two not worth the problem. I never asked about WEEDS! I never asked about washing and brushing. This would cause matting from the dirt or dust. Can you imagine the labor of washing and grooming, lets say seven cockers.

We have a fenced yard mostly all grass and Oliver does not like it. The other two cocker did. Cockers are a pack dog.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:36 pm 
Forum Legend

I have considered buying one of those for the following reason: I would like my dogs to have outdoor access to potty while I am at work. I'm pretty sure they would only run out, take care of business, and run back into the house.

The reason I'm looking at an enclosure is 1) to keep them safe from finding their way out of the yard (or being let out), and 2) to keep them safe from anything someone might throw into the yard that they should not eat. So far I have not figured out a reasonable "tunnel" to the kennel via doggy door, so have not acted on this possibility.

FWIW, I think cockers are miserable if kenneled outdoors. They Love to be with their people, and when the people are absent, they Love to curl up on said person's bed and nap.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 am 
Active Forum Member

You said it well. Enclosures will always prevent them from going out of the compound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am 
Active Forum Member

My new home has a wonderful feature installed by the former owners. The back yard is fully fenced with a 6' cedar fence, but they wanted a way to keep their childrens play area free of poop. They put a decorative picket fence from the corner of the house to the side fence, creating a 'dog run' at the side of the house. They installed a 'through the wall' dog door from the garage into that area and another from the house into the garage. Their springer was able to let herself out into the dog run as long as the dog doors were not sealed. Their kids played in the rest of the back yard and never had to worry about stepping in 'it'.

I don't want Jennie to have access to the garage, so I have sealed off their dog doors. Instead, I have a patio panel door that lets her have access to the main back yard. Now the fence that separates the old dog run keeps her from getting to the gate in the larger fence. When I'm working in the yard, I can bring tools, wheelbarrow, lawnmower, plants, etc through the boundary fence and into the side yard while she stays in the back. Once I secure the main gate, I can open the picket gate and she can 'help' me move everything to the back. It has worked great.

The former owners put pea gravel in the dog run, which is not my favorite surface to walk on or roll the lawnmower over. I'm slowly reducing the amount in that area and using it in other places around the house (like under the deck to keep the weeds down). I plan to put a covered seating area in the side yard next summer and I may install a full size door from that area into the garage so I don't have to go all the way around the house just to work in the back yard.

Chris, you could use standard lumber and some pre-made sections of picket fencing to create a 'run' from your back door to an enclosure. If you used fence clips rather than nailing or screwing the fence sections to the posts, you could move it around or take it down when you don't need it. You could even build the enclosure with the same materials. If you would like to see details on how to construct one, PM me.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers