All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Questioning vet advice on my puppy first visit? Pls advice
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:37 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi guys,

First visit of my puppy to the vet. Questioning the following:

-He prescribed Nexgard (flea pill) and Heartgard (heartworms) once every month. I live in South Florida. Is this necessary? A friend of mine who owns cockers in the area told me not to do so. I prefer not to give my dog any drug.

-I mentioned the Zim ear solution, as I have been using it. He said I shouldn't put it anymore and suggested the use of Virbac Epi-Otic and then dry it. Any suggestions?

-I told him I wanted to take my puppy to swim. He said that he recommended me to avoid swimming as I might come back with infections all over. So that means my cocker should not swim? Any opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Questioning vet advice on my puppy first visit? Pls advi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm not sure what to tell you about the flea meds, as I do not know how big of a problem they are in Florida. Heartworm is something I personally wouldn't want my pup to get. I believe it is better to just give the preventative. You could find something more natural to spray on Droopy before heading outdoors to ward off fleas/ticks.

As for the ear cleaner, the only reason I could see them telling you not to use it, is that is causes you to spend more money with them. The Zim ear cleaner has actually done a better job clearing up infections than what the vet prescribes...& it is a lot less messy. Our last pup had horrible ears, but using that cleaner, her ears cleared up & she never got another infection. I even used it on our Golden & got compliments from our vet on his ears.

I don't have any insight for you on the swimming thing. I know that they can get ear infections from too much water in their ears, but I've never heard of infections all over from it. I would research that online.

Hope this helps a bit & would love to see some updated pics of Droopy!

Shiloh: blk & wht female cocker 2/17/2005-2/16/2016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Pecas wrote:
Hi guys,

First visit of my puppy to the vet. Questioning the following:

-He prescribed Nexgard (flea pill) and Heartgard (heartworms) once every month. I live in South Florida. Is this necessary? A friend of mine who owns cockers in the area told me not to do so. I prefer not to give my dog any drug.

-I mentioned the Zim ear solution, as I have been using it. He said I shouldn't put it anymore and suggested the use of Virbac Epi-Otic and then dry it. Any suggestions?

-I told him I wanted to take my puppy to swim. He said that he recommended me to avoid swimming as I might come back with infections all over. So that means my cocker should not swim? Any opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi - Heartworm, yes, I use Sentinel once a month. I also confirmed with Hemopet that it's a good idea. Heartworm is a serious illness and can be fatal for a puppy. Observe your puppy for reactions and advise your vet.

I stopped giving flea meds and only use natural shampoos and sprays. But this is also because I keep Cici out of very bushy trails. i check her coat daily. I also find that one dosage of frontline lasts way longer than a month when I used it. Hot weather is when you have to be most watchful.

The closest thing to the Zim Ear cleaner if just want to buy one is K9 ear solutions liquid health. I used virbac and T8 Keto and K9 is the BEST. If your pup swims, I would clean the ears after swimming.Chlorine in a pool can be drying...You mean swimming in a lake?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I also give Sentinel, it is for both heartworm prevention and flea control, so that is only one pill instead of 2. They also always have rebates for it, ask your vet for the rebate forms or go on the Sentinel website. I also do not like Heartguard as my dog got IMHA 2 weeks after taking it. Sentinel does not work on ticks which is an issue for me in NH but not in Florida.

I live in NH but now we snowbird in Florida. When I am in NH I skip the heartworm pills in the winter, but in Florida it must be given year round. Heartworm is almost 100% preventable with the pill and unless your dog is kept in a bubble he would be exposed to a mosquito. I titer my dogs, follow Dr Dodds vaccination protocols, but heartworm preventative is something I would never go without, especially in S Florida where mosquitos are year round.

As far as swimming, I hope you mean in your pool and not a lake. I would be more concerned with gators than infections, but there are lots of nasties that we don't know about in lakes, Lana is now dealing with blasto that I never heard of.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:24 am 
Forum Legend

I agree with Sandy about the swimming in a lake. There are some nasty parasites that can kill. Many members may not know or recall that the original "mascot" cocker for this site was named Abby and sadly died from such a parasite.

I would also check out other vets. I don't (personally) feel that a vet should always force their beliefs of products on you, especially if there is a healthier/more natural product or solution. A vet should be able to identify that the ingredients of the Zim cleaner contains what is needed to do the job, especially if there is no evidence of infection.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for your input and I would love to hear more comments. I was thinking on taking my puppy to either a pool or the ocean as I have been to the dog beach and it is really fun, so I was hoping that doing it once in a while would not have issues. So seems like a heartworm pill is a must. I will check on the sentinel product as it might be the right one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:51 pm 
Forum Legend

I would also be wary of my cocker, esp a puppy, swimming in a lake due to parasites. I don't know about the beach, though. The chlorine or salt water pool can cause some itching - my neighbor's dog has some redness on his paws from being in the pool. They have to treat it and make sure his skin doesn't get too dry. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 am 
Forum Legend

He prescribed Nexgard (flea pill) and Heartgard (heartworms) once every month. I live in South Florida. Is this necessary? A friend of mine who owns cockers in the area told me not to do so. I prefer not to give my dog any drug.I also live in Florida, so here are my opinions. Heartgard - absolutely, and all year. Heartworms are so easy to prevent, but an infection can be deadly. Nexgard - that depends on your neighborhood. I live in a neighborhood where all of the lawns and public spaces are treated, so I've never had a flea or tick problem in my neighborhood. My sister's neighborhood is not so proactive, so she needs to treat her dog. If you find fleas on your dog, there's your answer. I do use Nexgard on my dog when we travel to our vacation home in Tennessee, because it's very rural and ticks are common. I've been very impressed with it.

-I mentioned the Zim ear solution, as I have been using it. He said I shouldn't put it anymore and suggested the use of Virbac Epi-Otic and then dry it. Any suggestions? Use the Zim cleaner. It's inexpensive to make, and it works. My dog is 7 years old, and has NEVER had a problem with her ears - and she loves to swim.

-I told him I wanted to take my puppy to swim. He said that he recommended me to avoid swimming as I might come back with infections all over. So that means my cocker should not swim?My dog loves to swim. Gromit swims frequently in the pool and has for many years, and it doesn't bother her at all. She'll also swim in the pond behind our house, especially if my husband is reeling in a fish. She loves fishing. However, if you allow your dog to swim in freshwater in Florida you need to be really vigilant about gators and snakes. You should also put some of the Zim ear formula into their ears afterward to ward off any bacterial growth from any water that may have gotten down into them. And if you're going to allow your dog to swim in salt water, you need to remember two things: make sure they don't drink the salt water - have fresh water available for them to drink if they get thirsty. Salt water will cause diarrhea. Then, after they swim, you have to rinse off the salt water from their coat, as it can be drying to their skin. Any opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 am 
Forum Legend

My two cents, today is so much different then ten years ago. I would never have a dog swim in a river or pond with all these strange things floating around in warm water. We had two dogs die two years ago in the Russian River as both were playing in the water. Some kind of algae bloom.

Florida has confirmed 44 algae bloom sites, some with toxic levels ...

Use the zim ear cleaner over any product that a vet gives you. This from experience. Do this after a bath or once a month.

I don't have to worry about heart worm where I live, why my cocker is a house dog. He doesn't like to cruze the backyard, so there is no worry about fighting the bite. Out on your walks there no time for a bite as we are always moving. If we do stop it's not for long as he is getting some love from other walkers. He is the type that wants to meet other dogs.

We do have a dog swim during the opening of spring and fall in a regulated swimming lagoon that water treated during summer for people before they closed it down for winter.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

And here is mine :goof , swimming in the sea should be fine parasites that live in the sea can't usually live outside of their environment for long enough to cause any long standing problems, as for 1 month parasite treatment not for me. They aren't going to disappear, just build up resistance to the meds, if I made them sure every month is great for my bank balance. I see in the future they will say it's abad idea just like yearly boosters for god knows what, except I have never had any why does my dog need them especially when they only 10 to 12 years.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:00 am 
Active Forum Member

I'm not one for giving lots of chemicals but I would absolutely do hw prevention if living in FL.

Ears - I like the blue ear remedy - I think its similar to Zimm's formula. I would use that before going to some expensive vet prescribed thing. Keep the ears as dry as you can manage. Use a cleaner after swimming and be sure to either blow dry the hair or put the ears up so the inside can dry. If you're going to let the dog get wet often, you might consider a shorter hair cut that can dry quickly. Wet dogs not only smell, they can get yeast infections in both ears & feet (and pass them back & forth)

Wherever you let your dog swim, beach or pool, you're going to need to rinse very well if not actually shampoo and condition afterwards. Salt water & chlorine are both irritating.

Sand fleas can be a problem in FL - be aware about them b/c you dont want any parasites!

I'd use FOOD GRADE diamatious earth as an extra parasite prevention if living in FL. I make sure I give it to my dogs when we're visiting.

You might consider finding a different vet too- I'm not loving the advise you're getting already. :wnk