Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Help with training
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:55 pm 
Forum Member

I have a 3 month old puppy
and she keeps biting my throw pillows, while she's up on my sofas, I say "No" she stops and then starts again! Sometimes she also tries to bite us as we say "No"

Post subject: Re: Help with training
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:28 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I'm going to answer this question by quoting two paragraphs from my "tips on raising a puppy" page:

Quote:
Puppies love to chew things, and will frequently try to chew you or your clothing. When this occurs, stick a chew toy in the puppy's mouth. There's no way to get a puppy to not chew things... the trick is to keep the puppy busy chewing things you WANT it to chew.

Have a wide variety of chew toys available for the dog. Go to the pet store and buy about a dozen different chew toys in an assortment of shapes and textures. When buying toys for puppies, be sure to buy SMALL toys! You'll want some hard chew toys such as rawhide chews, as well as some soft chew toys such as plush "beanie-baby" type toys. I frequently get email from people who say their puppy is ignoring his toys but is always biting people instead. When I ask for an inventory or a picture of the dog's toys, the answer is usually clear: bad choice of dog toys! Buy a large variety of toys, and once you find what the dog likes, buy more that are similar but different to his favorites. Also, a word of caution about rawhide chew toys: these are fine as long as you are supervising, but don't leave rawhide toys with your dog for long periods. If the dog is given enough time, he will chew that rawhide toy in to small pieces. If he were to swallow one of those pieces, it could cause a major problem.

For more useful puppy-raising tips, head on over to my "tips on raising a puppy" page.