An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hard scaly nose
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:40 am 
Forum Legend

Looking for advise here. Gromit's nose is developing hard crusty scales near where her nose meets the fur. I asked the vet about it and he just said that some breeds are prone to it (he's not my regular vet). It doesn't bother her, I just don't like how it looks and I think it's getting worse.

Any suggestions on products I can put on it or supplement that might help?
I already tried coconut oil last winter and she had a terrible reaction to it. She developed scabs all around the top and side of her nose and chunks of scabby hair fell out.

Post subject: Re: Hard scaly nose
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:06 am 
Active Forum Member

You could use Olive Oil or just plain old chap-stick that we use for our lips. My previous dog would get that, the first time I took her to the vet he gave me something that was expensive, I took her just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. And then when she got it again I just pulled out my chap-stick and it worked like a charm. In fact it worked better and faster than what the vet gave. Just keep in mind that since Grommit reacted to coconut oil she may react to other things as well. I have skin allergies to a lot of cosmetic things, and it can happen to our pets as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Vitamin E. Just open one gel cap and spread it.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thyroid test?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Chessie has the same thing... my vet gave me a name for it but I can't remember what it was. He also said that it won't bother her. Same as yours said... some breeds prone to it blah blah blah LOL. He told me he could prescribe a medication for it but that it would just keep returning once the meds were done. I chose to leave it. It comes and goes on Chessie. When it looks bad I do use some coconut oil and that helps. I've also used Mushers Secret with good results.

James it's not the thyroid.... I asked specifically cause I was worried.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 1
MACH Points -71
MX Q's - 2
MJX Q's - 2
(edited 12/16)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

I had a friend with a German Shepherd whose nose would crack, scab and bleed. She used bag balm and got good results with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:51 pm 
Active Forum Member

Two of my three girls have crusty noses, I use mushers secret, it is awesome stuff. Just get the small one, a little goes a long way.

http://musherssecret.net

Sasha~Chocolate Sable~1/30/2010

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:15 pm 
Forum Legend

Two things I would try, coconut oil, stay away from olive oil. Only real olive oil comes from California, any other olive oil has a mixture of canola oil in it. All real olive needs to be kept chilled or cool place after opened and must be in dark green glass bottle. Maybe Trader Joe's hand cream.

look up canola oil in imported olive oil.

Did you know that the Mob makes money hand over fist by selling you fake olive oil? Olive oil is a $1.5 billion industry in the United States alone. According to Tom Mueller, an intrepid journalist who wrote a scandalously revealing book on the subject, 70% of the extra virgin olive oil sold is adulterated — cut with cheaper oils. Apparently, the mob’s been at it so long, that even most so-called “experts” can’t tell a real olive oil from a fake olive oil based on taste alone.

Last year, researchers at UC Davis tested 124 different samples from eight major brands of extra-virgin olive oil. More than seventy percent of the imported oils failed. :wnk

http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extrav ... -oil-fake/ :wnk

Extra Virginity: :wnk The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil :wnk

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039307 ... 0393070212

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 am 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Two things I would try, coconut oil, stay away from olive oil.

Joe, did you even bother to read my post before you responded with your personal vendetta against olive oil? The very first thing I mentioned is that Gromit had a severe allergic reaction to coconut oil, and yet you tell me to try coconut oil? How is that supposed to be helpful to me? :dk I put this post up because I had a problem, and forum members have been so helpful in the past. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't hijack it for your own personal sounding board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:42 am 
Active Forum Member

A years ago, Marco had a similar issue. Took him to the vet who said we could do a skin biopsy as it is often associated with an autoimmune issue. To keep him out of the sun and apply sunscreen. Scared the daylights out of me. We did not persue the biopsy b/c at the time he had so many pressing behavioral issues and I wasnt sure he'd be salvageable.

My homeopath treated him instead and he lived to be 16 but I always worried about it a bit. Giving him additional fish oil did help. Sadly, I dont remember exactly how we treated it other than tweaking his diet, stopping vaccines and giving him some remedies. (hey, it was 15+ years ago!)

I would try lanolin on his nose. Look for creams made for breastfeeding moms because the lanolin will be ingestable. it has both antibacterial and antifungal properties.

I always worried about using sunscreen on his nose since he'd lick it off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:29 pm 
Forum Legend

Darra wrote:
Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Two things I would try, coconut oil, stay away from olive oil.

Joe, did you even bother to read my post before you responded with your personal vendetta against olive oil? The very first thing I mentioned is that Gromit had a severe allergic reaction to coconut oil, and yet you tell me to try coconut oil? How is that supposed to be helpful to me? :dk I put this post up because I had a problem, and forum members have been so helpful in the past. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't hijack it for your own personal sounding board.

Not all olive oils or coconut oils are the same as one needs to know what your buying. There are cheap ones out there. Only olive oil I would buy and trust is made here in California, then if it's stored in a warehouse and it hits over 135 degrees the heat changes it to the worse.

Making of lip balm, the coconut oil makes it melt by body temperature.

I was going to make my own lip balm, bought the bees wax.

-1 tablespoon grated beeswax or beeswax pastilles
-1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
-A dash of organic raw honey
-2 vitamin e capsules (Not all E's are equal too) There are two types of vitamin E's good and not so good.
-several drops of essential oil (optional)

Sorry, if I didn't read your problem with coconut oil don't know what kind you used. Could had been the dried skin and stuff falling off maybe not.

I would think the oil on the nose, it would be licked off causing another problem from the dampness of being licked.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 am 
Forum Legend

I finally found something that has worked to resolve Gromit's crusty nose! I read on another site to try Kerasal exfoliating moisturizer. Nothing else has worked very well, so it was worth a try. What a HUGE difference! I just rubbed a little bit on her nose right before I fed her in the morning, since I knew she'd be so intent on getting to her food that she wouldn't pay attention to what I just rubbed on her nose. This stuff has been like a miracle. It's only been a couple of weeks but her nose is so moist and soft again. All the crusty plaques are GONE. Her nose has to feel so much better to her; I'm so glad I gave it a try. :th-up