Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tear Stain Pads
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello Everyone!

Does anyone have a recommendation for tear stain pads? I have two gorgeous cocker spaniels (Lily--Black, Hannah--Buff) and both have tear stains. The Vet prescribed pads that are $40 for 60. I am happy to pay this if need be, but there has to be a more economical option. Any suggestions?

Attachments:
Hannah.jpg
Hannah.jpg [ 48.78 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]
IMG_2040.png
IMG_2040.png [ 103.3 KiB | Viewed 1143 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tear Stain Pads
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:04 pm 
Forum Legend

I've never heard of a vet prescribing a tear stain pad. What is in them? or maybe, what is the name/brand? I'm interested in investigating!

I often see dogs with tear stains, and not just cockers, but many of the long haired breeds. What I know from doing cocker rescue pretty intensely (over 10 years ago now: 250 cockers rescued and rehomed in 2.5 years) is that tear stains are caused by environmental allergies, i.e. tree and grass pollens gathered in long-ish hair/fur, OR they are bacterial in nature.

_Every single dog_ that got antibiotics for an ear infection or after a surgery had their eyes/tear stains clear up. One day I casually commented on it to the vet, who confirmed my observation -> Most tear stains are bacterial.

So, I'm really interested to know about these pads! Sounds like something new on the market, and maybe well worth investigating.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:17 pm 
Forum Legend

My two cents, it's the diet, something is missing. Where to start maybe omegas 3-6 those tears should just slide off the fur if not it will cause the hair to fall off an cause an low grade infection where the fur won't grow back. What to try, cod liver oil, coconut oil, flax seed oil. Maybe some lamb could help. A buff cocker owner that had the problem but hit it with all of this. My dog is water proof as it just rolls off.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:00 am 
Active Forum Member

My Vet Recommended MiconaHex + Triz Wipes

They do work great, I was just looking for a lower-cost formula.

My Lily's tear stains seem to be environmental as they really only happen in the spring/fall. Hannah is still very new to me (less than a week!), so I will have to see with her. She is transitioning to a better quality food, so I will see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:04 am 
Forum Legend

Oliver eye's have AM build up about after about an hour it usually falls off some where mostly on our walks or we wipe it off. So it really is repelled by his fur.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Hmm very interesting and I can see why they would work. My previous dog had allergies with bacterial skin and yeast condition and I am very familiar with the ingredients that went into the shampoos. I did check online and you can buy the wipes or spray a lot cheaper than the vet. My Snickie here has had the eye staining since I brought her home. She was treated with eye ointment twice, but it came back, vet said allergies. When she developed an eye issue a couple years ago she was on oral antibiotics, steroid drops, and antibiotic eye ointment for 6 months and the staining went away, but slowly after she was off all that stuff, the eye staining came back. Really 6 months and it didn't kill that stuff for good? I had said at one time I thought it might be the water, I have very hard well water and I always said that someday I would buy bottled water and give it a try. So last fall I started her on bottled water. About a month ago I was sitting on the floor with her and I had to do a double take, her staining was almost non existent.It was so nice to look in her eyes and not be distracted by the staining. High amount of iron in the water can do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:54 am 
Forum Legend

I clean Cici's eyes several times a day and I don't think she has stains, but she is black, so who knows...

My question is with the amount of eye goop. She does have a lot - largest amounts in the morning when we are starting our day and she has spent the night snoozing. No weird color about the discharge, but I wonder - is there a way to reduce discharge in a cocker spaniel's eyes, or is this something we just accept? (unless of course there is an infection or redness or what not).

Her water is filtered at home - same water we drink.