An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: So Oliver has Cushing's because of blood test and urine
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:57 pm 
Forum Legend

No one will say if early neutering or spaying brings this on as our pet age and never had their hormones mature. It does seem this is the cause, as my dog was neutered at 7 months.

Well the expense of a great diet didn't help Oliver but trying to be a good citizen did. He is never was aloud to roam freely on streets as he is a house dog and a great fence.

The vet tried to find flea (censored) on his buff body and he was very disappointed nothing showed up. Then he was pushing heart worm pills on me. Well that didn't turn out the way I wanted so, I paid the bill and left. Never looking back. Looking for another vet.

Off to another vet as Oliver was going to have surgery to remove 11 body growths. I recommended a blood test they recommended a urine so it was done. Possible bladder stones came back in the urine sample and the enzyme that shows some part of Cushing's. He can't get enough food drinking lots of water panting, pot belly.

Include testing showed urine cortisol/creatinine ratio, so waiting for the second urine sample test done yesterday. They said at the office no signs of stone making. Well OACV did it's job.

Started treatment with Flax seed in shell that are called Lignam, melatonin, milk thistle, with mushrooms turmeric with ground pepper and Flax seed oil with lignam cold press.

Just the flax seed and melatonin has helped his water drinking and panting the first two weeks, better recovery after our three mile walks. We had to wait two weeks for his body to heal from so many staples.

I looked into going to UC Davis which would mean to stay over for two nights or drive back and forth for three days. They do have a study going on for cushing's problem.

I think he has lost his hearing at age of ten years and four months this happened at the same time.

Joe

Post subject: Re: So Oliver has Cushing's because of blood test and urine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:08 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I am sorry to hear that. I hope something good will happen soon that will help him be better.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:59 pm 
Forum Legend

Well thank you, as you know there no cure. Just hope we can slow it down as he seams better today. Thr hot weather no so good for him.

No more signs of stone mineralization they didn't do the urine cortisol/creatinine ratio. But everything is clear.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:34 am 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
No one will say if early neutering or spaying brings this on as our pet age and never had their hormones mature. It does seem this is the cause, as my dog was neutered at 7 months.

Well the expense of a great diet didn't help Oliver but trying to be a good citizen did. He is never was aloud to roam freely on streets as he is a house dog and a great fence.

Joe

Crap happens, sometimes, no matter what you do. He is a happy, loved dog and lucky to be in your care.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:44 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Joe, I really encourage you to get the testing done and if you can participate in that UC Davis study, do it. It will save you about a grand in testing. The supplements may alleviate some symptoms but the only way to bring down the cortisol levels is with vetoryl or lysodren. Riley has done very well on vetoryl with no side effects. However, he had a dental a few weeks ago and his bp was high, so we have had his bp retested twice and it is high so he is starting on bp meds, amilodipine. HBP is a side effect of Cushings, and not treated could lead to detached retina, etc. Didn't know until the dental.

Even though you may see some symptom relief, not lowering the cortisol could result in Calcinosis Cutis, which sounds like a horrible skin issue from what I have read from others. You also cannot point to neutering or any other reason Cushings affects some dogs, it just happens.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:52 pm 
Forum Legend

Learned today at Woofstock that there is liver problems from Oliver's father CH LarMaro's Handsome Dancer as my dog father and Oscar's brother. As he died at the age of five or six was given free to these popular show dog people. The man said he really didn't want the dog because of the history of bad livers. One thing he has always said, he was the best cocker he ever had they had many of other peoples dogs. Some blamed a water softener salt killing Oscar's liver who knows, but things really change for them after his death. My dog was to keep me alive now it looks like we need to keep him alive. Our deal was 15 years to beat our first cocker with awful health problems. Oliver has out lived our second cocker. Tonight I found out what killed her, our second cocker. it was the vet wanting money over her life. As she died with 12 teeth pulled out without being on antibiotics because of the serious gum and teeth problems. Not being given before surgery week or weeks as her weaken body infection.

Then at Woofstock there was a cocker age 13 that's has been treated as he weight 38 pounds the same as my Oliver today. I blamed my wife and her father for the added weight. I could not take the weight off when I had him. Walking over 3.3 miles a day. The woman said after finding a cancer and Cushing he is down to 25 pounds and looks really great. She could not take the weight off either. Don't recall the drug I can find out again but she was saying 70 dollars a month and she buy's two month worth at a time and it has to be made. Well I paying about that with herbs as we just started.

The drug could had been Trilostane

I dread the drive to UC Davis during the summer as 880 is a wreck ready to happen and it hot over there. I'll have to call them and see what info is needed to see if he meets their standards. I can't remember when his panting started when taking his showers and his hair cuts, none of this made sense as I used cold water to try to stop his panting while in the shower. He'll walk right in no fight I think he feels better when clean. It has to be around the age of to or three that far back. The panting a drooling during his hair cuts.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:56 am 
Active Forum Member

Knowing what you now know about Oliver's father, it is to bad you didn't know back 8 years ago, so that you could of known of the possible symptoms and be pro active. Probably because of the diet that you gave him, and keeping him off of as many pesticides as you could, you were able to keep the Cushing's at bay for as long as you did.Be it our dogs or us, we never know what we are going to inherit from out families. I'm sure you know of people who have smoked, drank, and had bad food choices and they lived to be 100, and other people who led a healthy lifestyle died young. I remember going through Snickie's pedigree one day I noticed a few generations before, that one of the "GG" died at the age of 5, I wanted to go back and recheck her line farther back but decided not to, whatever will be, will be. I would continue with as healthy of a diet as I could, and keep her off as much pesticide as I could. Like you, with a lot of money being spent on a previous dog for illness, you wanted to do things right this time around, but unfortunately when you think you have all your bases covered, life throws you a curve ball that you have no control over.
At 3 years you didn't pay much attention of the dog panting and drinking more water than usual, after all the dog was only 3 and he appeared for all intense and purposes healthy, and trust me I wouldn't have thought much of it either, but let this be a reminder to all of us, that those are symptoms of something. I had a cat that was drinking and peeing more and shrugged it off, until the day I heard him fall on the floor, brought him into the vet and he was diabetic. That is something that I am always monitoring with the dog and cat.
I hope that whatever road you take with meds be it traditional, natural, or a combination, that you have a lot more years with Oliver. Don't beat yourself up on this, you did the best you could, but there are just some things that are out of our control.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:08 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe,

I'm so sorry to learn that Oliver is sick. It is really awful when our little friends are unwell and we have to watch them struggle. I know that he has an amazing advocate and defender in you. Good luck. Lola, Bunk and I are pulling for your team.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for all the kind words!!!

His excessive drinking isn't that bad yet! It's less than two cups a day or even less than that. We use a Pyrex two cup measuring holder as a water bowl, the ears don't get wet.

With using soaked flax seeds and milled flax seed with lignans he is pooping more than he eats. About three tablespoons in his food. I don't know it's to soon as he could be loosing weight now. We soak two tablespoons of the flax seeds for several hours with a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar, add the milled flax seed into his regulator food. Plus his melatonin, we use stag chilli with a tablespoon to get down his milk thistle as he refused the bacon pill wraps so chili is used there also. No large pill problem here.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:48 am 
Active Forum Member

So sad. That's why I've always spoken against neutering.