An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Puppy Shedding & Odor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:42 am 
Active Forum Member

I was told that Jersey probably wouldn't shed her puppy coat till around 9 months old. She is almost 5 months now & her hair is everywhere! I'm pretty sure we are dealing with a food allergy that is causing yeast infections & itchy skin, but could it also cause excess shedding & doggy odor? My husband came home last night & said the house smells like Jersey...Not something I want to hear :sad Just looking for a little reassurance that we are on the right path with changing her food & that there isn't something else I should be asking our vet about. She is the one who recommended the food change, but that was before the shedding & odor came into play.

Shiloh: blk & wht female cocker 2/17/2005-2/16/2016

Post subject: Re: Puppy Shedding & Odor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:51 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Doggy odour is a sign of skin issues (oftentimes yeast) - I would definitely see your vet and ask them to do some skin scrapings. Cockers can be susceptible to allergies (to many, many things), which can lead to skin issues.

The shedding you're experiencing is most likely seasonal - Cockers definitely do shed, and when the seasons change from winter to spring and fall to winter the shedding can be pretty bad. I have 5 dogs in my house, so you can imagine the mess. But Cockers do also go through a coat change from puppy coat to adult coat around the 9 month timeframe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Please read this post. It has links I found very helpful. Cici didn't have odor , but she did chew her paws and scoot a lot (even though anal glands were empty). The nusentia probiotics, diatomaceous earth, coconut oil have helped a lot. I don't need to use the spray much if at all anymore.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... st#p138178

Treatment for a Yeast Infection in Dogs

Yeast infections in dogs are best treated with a two-pronged approach:

Treat the local skin area - As yeast is a fungus it must be treated topically with anti-fungal shampoos, dips and sprays.

Treat the digestive tract - Many yeast infections start in the dog's digestive tract which can then leak out and manifest as skin problems.

Adding probiotics and supplements to your dog's diet will help to keep the yeast at a manageable level preventing this break-out from occurring.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 pm 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
Please read this post. It has links I found very helpful. Cici didn't have odor , but she did chew her paws and scoot a lot (even though anal glands were empty). The nusentia probiotics, diatomaceous earth, coconut oil have helped a lot. I don't need to use the spray much if at all anymore.

https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... st#p138178

Treatment for a Yeast Infection in Dogs

Yeast infections in dogs are best treated with a two-pronged approach:

Treat the local skin area - As yeast is a fungus it must be treated topically with anti-fungal shampoos, dips and sprays.

Treat the digestive tract - Many yeast infections start in the dog's digestive tract which can then leak out and manifest as skin problems.

Adding probiotics and supplements to your dog's diet will help to keep the yeast at a manageable level preventing this break-out from occurring.

Can you cook the same food as you eat? If you don't want to that the other route is frozen raw dog food.

(Diatomaceous earth is food grade) not pool grade.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 am 
Forum Legend

If it is yeast, you can also ask your doctor about using a Duoxo shampoo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you so much for all the tips! I have started the change over to Natural Balance & am wiping her privates with hypoallergenic wipes after she goes potty. If the food doesn't change anything I will start trying your tips one by one. I just want to take the time to rule out each option separately so I can try to determine the exact cause. I know my previous cocker's yeast issues were cured by a simple food change. Thanks again!

Shiloh: blk & wht female cocker 2/17/2005-2/16/2016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:26 am 
Forum Legend

Pam, I am just guessing here, but since yeast is a fungus it will continue to grow until you address ALL of the possible causes. My thought is that you may have to treat all areas at one time to get control. Treating internally is a good start, but there may still be something on the skin/fur/paws that you will need to treat at the same time as the tummy to stop the fungus growth.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci