An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: sleep training
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:54 am 
Active Forum Member

We just picked up our chocolate cocker, named Riley two days ago. She is the sweetest little thing and adjusting well, however I'm at a loss of what to do at night. The first night, we tried to let her sleep with my daughter, but she couldn't find a good sleeping spot and just wandered around her bed, so we crated her on the main level. She cried and cried. Last night wasn't any better. I feel so bad for her. She obviously isn't potty trained, although she's kind of catching on,don't wantt want her roaming the house all night long, but it's heartbreaking to hear her cry! Plus, we all need to sleep!! Ideas or suggestions? Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: sleep training
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:15 pm 
Forum Legend

How old is the pup?

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:01 pm 
Forum Legend

I'd recommend putting puppy in a crate right beside, or on the end of, someone's bed. She wants and needs to be close to her people. Downstairs is too far away. Also, draping an article of your already worn clothing over the crate so she can smell you close is a big help!

If she is a baby between 8-20 weeks, she will probably need to potty during the night. Take her to the potty place without any talk or fuss, let her pee, right back into crate.

****** I would NOT allow a puppy to roam the house without close supervision at any time of the day or night. ****** Think: electric cords, rugs, furniture, newspapers, magazines, books, pillows-- all great for puppy adventure. Dangerous and expensive.

(My first cocker was 2 years old before I could trust her not to get into things and/or chew things up. I have a 17 month old right now who has been with me for 8 months. I cannot leave her unsupervised yet. Just this morning she snagged my contact lens case off the bathroom counter when I turned around to get a towel! She ends up crated many times a day for 5-10 minutes, and all day while I'm at work. (I have a dog walker come in mid-day for her). And I have a major medical insurance on her- I am so afraid she is going to swallow something and need major surgery.)

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:17 pm 
Forum Legend

A stuff toy with it's mother scent would have helped, I believe. We had that done to or last pup.

Joe