An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: new to all of this....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

My family and I have put a deposit on a cocker that will be ready to join our family next month. We've been doing lots of research and we're very excited!! The thing is, I have allergies! I haven't noticed any problems with other dogs I've been around, but I'm terribly allergic to my sister's cats. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Post subject: Re: new to all of this....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:26 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

It's a long-haired breed of dog... so you have to be realistic about what you're getting yourself in to. They shed... a lot!

Have you spent any time with the puppy that you put a deposit on? That should tell you a lot, if you go over to the breeder's house and spend some time with the puppy and the puppy's mother. If you come away from that with bad allergy symptoms... you'll know that's likely to happen once you bring the dog to your home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:24 am 
Forum Legend

Yes, please spend some time with your pup to see how you do first. Not sure what the breeder's policy is, but the earlier they know you can't take the pup (if that ends up being the case), the better.

The scenario to avoid is you/your family and the pup bonding and the pup having to lose it's home if it causes you health problems. It can be traumatic for a pup to change homes. My dog gets very anxious when she is separated from us in a new place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:08 am 
Forum Legend

My husband has dog allergies, and unfortunately, Gromit really affects him. He takes zyrtec, plus nasalcrom, plus we have a hepa filter in our bedroom. He manages ok, but car trips with the dog really bother him. His contacts fog, eyes water, stuffy nose. But we wouldn't trade her for the world.

If you have serious allergies, please consider a more hypoallergenic breed, rather than having to rehome her on the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:10 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks everyone! We were in her home last week for a couple of hours, interacting with the puppy parents, puppy grandma, and the puppies. I'd say my symptoms were quite mild and I didn't even take an allergy pill that night. We were sitting on the area rug that needed swept, with her friendly people loving cockers around us! Just in doing more research on the breed, I've become a little nervous and perhaps overly cautious. My thoughts are that if that didn't affect me too severely, one cocker should be just fine!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

Words of wisdom for those with allergies: don't stick the dog in your face and wash hands before you touch your face, avoid carrying or letting dog sit on your lap. Pet the dog rather than scratch/rub to avoid releasing more particles. Use towels under dog on car rides. Avoid car rides with dogs. Don't let the dog go into your bedroom or home office. Don't let the dog on the bed. Remove any carpeting and switch to tile. Remove any window drapery. Use leather couches or don't let the dogs on the couch at all. Vacuum daily. (Yep, daily.) Don't use dog shampoos with scents that bother you. Be aware of what plants bother you, because a romp outdoors brings the allergens indoors. Avoid going near those plants or limit outdoor time when those allergens are in bloom.

To find out if dogs bothers you, do the reverse of the above, paying particular attention to sticking the dog in your face, rubbing/scratching the dog's skin and sniffing deeply/applying to your skin, and sitting in the car with fido.

Note any hives/raised bumps on underside of wrist, chin, and/or neck; itchy ears, throat, nose, and/or eyes; red and/or watery eyes; runny or stuffy nose; and asthma/breathing difficulty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

I also have allergies and cats is one of my worst. But I have had very few problems since adopting either of my Cockers. They do shed and I do Jennie's bathing and most grooming myself. If I keep her skin in good condition I get less of the dander that is what most people react to. I use an unscented, hypoallergenic shampoo. If you opt to have her groomed elsewhere, make sure they use hypoallergenic products on your baby.

The one other thing I would mention is that you need to train your new little one not to lick you... or anyone else for that matter. Saliva can trigger worse allergic reactions than hair or dander for some people. I taught Jennie to give "Eskimo kisses", which is just a nose bump instead of licking me.

And as mentioned before, I always wash my hands after touching her and avoid touching anywhere near my face until I have.

Hopefully you'll have a similar experience. Fingers crossed!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you all so much for the great advice! We're going over again within a week or two to visit the puppy and check for a reaction. Like I said, I'm terribly allergic to cats, but have never had a problem with dogs. Reading that they can cause problems made me a little nervous. You've given me food for thought and things to consider and I appreciate it. Now we hope for the best!! :-)