Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: For those using Trifexis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:20 pm 
Forum Legend

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2015/12/700- ... ns-silent/

Post subject: Re: For those using Trifexis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

The problem with any of these parasitic meds is, you don't know which dogs are going to have a reaction to them, you just hope its not going to be your dog. I am not a fan of heart worm meds, if I lived down south where it's a real problem I would probably have a different view on it, up here we get it, but its not that many cases. I will use it for the first 2 years, of the pups life, more for the benefit of intestinal worms than anything else. You just never know what a young pup will get into, usually after 2 years, they are a little more discriminating.

Back in May of 2011 I purchased from the Vet a package of Interceptor. I gave Snickie one and several hours later I was on the phone with the Vet. she was having a reaction, scared me to death. Never gave her another one of those, I got her Heart guard and she was fine. The interesting thing is that 5 months later Interceptor was pulled off the market. When I questioned the Vet the following spring, of course he forgot about my call that I made to him and said that there was a problem with the plant and there was cross contamination with the human meds that they made at the same plant. Novartis makes Excedrin, sleep aids and what not, along with the animal parasitics. The FDA shut them down. They had to clean up the plant, 3 other plants were cited also and they had to be cleaned up too. Um, really makes you wonder doesn't it. Interestingly Jan of this year they finally brought Interceptor back out on the market, yeah 4 years later, and it's not Novartis making it, Elanco\Lily, who makes Triefixis bought it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:09 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Denise. They are far from perfect. Cici is still on sentinel for heartworm - fingers crossed that is safe for her and I never have to try anything else. Sentinel controls fleas too and I stopped frontline for a bit now. The real test will be the spring and summer here.

I am shopping around for titers testing now - seems to be a better price with Dr. Dodds instead of her vet.

It is through this forum I found out about titers and I am so grateful. It is honestly horrifying (and overkill) how so many dogs are pumped with all these substances when there is an alternative.

Titers should be more common knowledge than they are. The vet tech I spoke to yesterday said they likely will cost $200 or more each for lyme's and lepto, but they aren't sure. They will call me back after finding out from the lab. They don't know because I am probably the first person to ask!

I asked the vet tech the reason Cici needed the lyme's and lepto boosters in Jan. She said it is to make sure a healthy level of antibodies is maintained in the system" I said "What if the level is already healthy and she does not need more?" She couldn't answer my question and she said she would call me back with the titer rates.

Not saying these vaccines don't have their place and we don't need vets, but it is simply wrong that a vet would never mention the option of having titers done or at least have some flyers or info about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 pm 
Forum Legend

I asked the vet tech the reason Cici needed the lyme's and lepto boosters in Jan. She said it is to make sure a healthy level of antibodies is maintained in the system" I said "What if the level is already healthy and she does not need more?" She couldn't answer my question and she said she would call me back with the titer rates.

Ask the vet what chemicals are in the vaccines. I bet there's that mercury in there. (thimerasol).

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:14 am 
Forum Legend

I realize this is going off topic, but on the subject of titers, I've been shocked to find out about the price difference:

My vet and their lab:
Blood Draw - $12
Lyme's Titer - $135
Lepto Titer - $200

Total: $347 :shock:

Dr. Dodds/Hemopet - Lepto $88 and Lyme's titer $50

And then I called a couple labs, one only deals with vets directly. The second, Rollins, which is North Carolina State Univ's lab charges $7 (yes, SEVEN) for the lepto titer, but they don't do lyme's titer testing.

So what if I have to send one sample to Hemopet and another to the local lab!