An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Vets Warn Fleas Becoming Resistant To Chemical Treatments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:34 am 
Forum Legend

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Experts say fleas may be mutating and becoming more resistant to topical anti-flea treatments peskier than ever for Bay Area pet owners trying to get rid of them.

One vet KPIX spoke to said the smelly solutions designed to kill fleas that pet owners have been applying to their cats and dogs may not help thanks to survival of the fittest flea.

Katherine Van Ekert with VetPronto is one of many Bay Area vets that are telling pet owners the anti-flea solution produced by companies like Frontline and Advantage that they are buying isn’t working.

“You can imagine when we’re applying a flea product that’s designed to kill a flea and those fleas have random mutations the genes that are resulting and are allowing the fleas to survive are going to win,” explained Van Ekert.

READ MORE HERE: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/1 ... reatments/

Post subject: Re: Vets Warn Fleas Becoming Resistant To Chemical Treatment
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

That's what I have been saying right along Joe, as I have moved from one topical to the next and so on.The problem is the pesticides keep getting stronger and more poisonous. It comes as no surprise since every living thing on this planet including us, in order to exist, our cells need to mutate in order for us to survive in the environment. When something goes wrong with the mutation in us, it usually ends up as cancer.
When they come out with something new, in the beginning it does a good job of killing the pests, but there will be survivors, there has to be, and their cells will mutate and they will produce offspring that becomes immune to the poison. Our pets that we use this stuff on, their cells mutate to adapt to the pesticide in order to survive, but if something goes wrong with the cell mutation, well you know what happens.
Off topic on this, but about 15 years ago an older neighbor mentioned to me one day that he hadn't seen or heard any crows, and wanted to know what was up with that. To be honest I hadn't noticed, but as I thought about it I realized that things were pretty quiet in the neighborhood. I was perplexed because I knew he was right, but what caused the crows disappearance? What I hadn't realized at the time was there was also a severe drop in several species of songbirds. Come to find out it had to do with the introduction of West Nile Virus, the birds were dropping like flies here. Fortunately there were survivors, their cells mutated and the offspring born was immune to West Nile. It took about 8 years or so for their numbers to come back.
To be honest, we will never win the war on pests, initially you may think you are, but nature has away of taking care of itself. Just take a look at antibiotics, you now have bacteria that is immune to our most powerful antibiotic. And the pharmaceutical and chemical companies, well they just get richer off of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:53 pm 
Forum Legend

Don't know about the cows most small milk farms out here have been shut down by the EPA. The big corporate farms ship the cheese to Wisconsin to age it there so they can say it's aged in Wisconsin. (play in words) A trucker friend had that run dropping off the California made cheese at a warehouse there..

We are missing Quail out here. We do have west Nile too. Don't know if the feral cat population is killing the wild California quail or the drought. Last year we feed 28 with babies, this year I only saw one small quail. Haven't heard any calls. Out on our daily walk not many out there either.

pdf file from UC DAVIS Ca. http://ucanr.edu/sites/UCCE_LR/files/152028.pdf
Looks like it doesn't bother cattle or cows.

I bought a two and a half pound BUG OFF GARLIC POWDER container for dogs. The only way I can sneak it in the dog food so Oliver will eat it is in vegetable lasagna meal. At lease it blends into the smell.

Maybe try this powdered garlic for dogs.BUG OFF GARLIC POWDER

Your right about BIG PHARMA and Corporations as they run the government today.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Might want to read this about the Quail, it is an all to familiar story, we here in the Northeast saw these things happening back 50 - 75 years ago as the farms started disappearing. Of course your drought may be playing a roll in that too.

https://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/ ... Quail.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 am 
Forum Legend

We do have most of the predators in that articular. To me the cooper hawk has hit the sliding glass door several times after sparrows. Grandpa fed his foxes, think possible raccoons as a creek is about an 1/8 mile away. No more fox problems. Nothing has changed at lease doesn't seem to have changed so as the dairy changed over to grapes thirty years ago. There seems to be lots of over head protection in his yard and near by as the quail had a place to hide, this about 40 years in the same house.

This is the same for the county park as it is no where near of any vineyards all natural for hundreds of years with lots of feeding quail they loved the black berry bushes where they would run and hide as we walked by. Oliver does care about the birds but will protect me from the Canada Geese. Bad boy! :lol3

There was an artitical about the red wing black birds were dropping in their populations. We still have them around our walk path around the lake shore in cat tails on the shoreline. It's time for our daily walk before the next storm. Think we have had about 4 inches of rain for a month an a half but no run off yet. Everything is damp.

We got off the subject, but good luck on the tick and flea control hunt.

Joe