An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The true price of caring for your beloved family pets reveal
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 am 
Forum Legend

As soon as children learn to talk, it's pretty much guaranteed that they will start asking their parents for a pet - but many moms and dads don't know exactly what they're getting into when they make that promise.

The parenting website Fatherly has complied the specific costs for the upkeep and care of owning a range of popular pets as estimated by the ASPCA, and many of the financial estimates are pretty daunting.

For example, a large dog, such as a Great Dane or Staffordshire Terrier, costs a total of $7,560 over its estimated eight-year lifespan for one-time costs, such as being spayed, neutered or other medical fees ($560), and annual fees ($875 per year) such as veterinary visits, health insurance, food,

And this doesn't even include the cost of adopting or purchasing the dog in the first place.

To own a medium-sized dog, such as French bulldog or Boston Terrier, one must shell out approximately $8,210 over the animal's estimated 11-year life expectancy.

This includes one-time fees such as a training class, collar, leash and getting spayed or neutered ($565), and annual costs of food, health insurance, toys, and treats ($695).

And while a small dog, such as a Pomeranian or a Chihuahua may seem like a cost-effective alternative, these little guys still total in at a whopping $6,850 over their estimated 11-year lifespans.

One-time costs, such as being spayed or neutered, total in a $470, while annual fees like food and health insurance equals out to $580.

Cats also seem like they would be much cheaper than the upkeep of a dog, but since they have an estimated life expectancy of 15 years, they actually end up costing much more than canines.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z3r6jMcvdR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Joe

Post subject: Re: The true price of caring for your beloved family pets re
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:08 am 
Forum Legend

They not only underestimate the costs, they underestimate the level of physical effort or care involved and many wrongly assume their kids will help. Though when you carefully consider the decision and your lifestyle, it is SO worth it. :wk

This is slightly off topic, but this is something that especially annoys me when I take Cici out and there are parents around. It happens over and over and over. Cockers have these large eyes and cuddly looks so it is no surprise that kids are drawn to them. I am standing in a public park with Cici and there's a mom or dad a few feet away with their little kid. Kid starts pointing and wobbling over toward Cici. It's cute, until I realize the parent is NOT stopping their child or trying to get in front at least.

I have seen many kids just run over and reach straight for the dog's head. And the dog is not ready. Or the dog is scared or caught unaware. And the parent is just standing there or walking slowly over.

I said to one parent - my dog is not comfortable being suddenly approached and touched, so please ask first so your kid does not get snapped at.

"Oh but she looks so sweet and fluffy" :roll was the response.

Post subject: Re: The true price of caring for your beloved family pets re
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:33 pm 
Forum Legend

I can tell you the cost of pre made raw frozen dog food from 3 to 6 pounds is not cheap. Does save on vet visits.

Well I have the Ambassador of Cockers, he loves kids his youngest was 9 month old out on our walks, but my grandson of one year tested him. Oliver was curious but by the sixth day in the table was turned around and we had to be careful.

Joe