An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Titers question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:46 pm 
Forum Legend

I am learning a lot about titer testing and want to have this done for Cici. It would be the first time.

I see Dr Dodd offers distemper and parvo titers. I have to ask my vet if they do this and the cost comparison.

Question i have is on Lyme's and lepto titers. I don't see this offered. Does this mean the dog should be vaccinated for lymes and lepto every year? Is this necessary? What do you do?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Titers question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

The Lyme and Lepto shots are yearly and you are probably lucky if they last a year, they are not the core shots which are in most cases good for the life of the dog. Snickie was tittered and the vet said she was good for three more years, all her numbers were high. He charged me 75 if I recall.

When the Lyme shot came out about 20 years ago I got it for my previous dog.( I did it because the dog I had before that had to stay at the vets and have intravenous antibiotics it was so bad.) I was told at the time that it was 80% effective. The second year she got the shot about 4 months later, guess what, she had Lyme. Of course they reminded me of the 80%, so she fell into the 20% failure rate. I have since read that it is more like 70% or possibly even less. If you research it there are risk factors with the shot, so it is up to each individual. I never gave that dog another Lyme shot. She did get it again about 4 years later. When I got Snickie my choice was not to give it to her. She will be six and she has not gotten Lyme yet and I hope she never does. Even though I live in the state where it originated and where it is an epidemic here, I have chosen not to have her get the shot. And I myself have had Lyme, so I do know what it feels like when you get it. The lepto I don't bother with, I did with Snickie the first two years, but the second time she did have a reaction, so I decided not to after that, again I think that is maybe good for 9 months, gets you through the spring and summer. I figure Snickie is in the house all day and when she goes outside she is always under my supervision, All you have to do is do some research yourself, and make your own decision.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 am 
Forum Legend

My titter testing testing cost me 180 dollars. All he wanted to was vaccinate for 40 dollars. I tried to inform the vet that there is an in house test, he wanted nothing to do with it but would pass the news on to the Human Society. So Ollie has one year left on his last rabies.

Our county will test ticks that were attached to a dog or human for 30 bucks. Our county park area has a 30 percent positive rate for Lyme.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:59 am 
Active Forum Member

I have a friend whose small dog got lepto and it was brutal. After 4 days at the emergency vet he died of kidney failure.

The lepto vaccine is only effective for a short period, so it is recommended yearly. I would ask your vet how commonly they see infected animals in your area. Here in Washington the most cases occur in the late fall and early winter, so my vet recommends getting the vaccine in October and then you are covered best for the worst months. Since it is spread through standing water and we have lots of that in the fall and winter, I do plan to keep Jennie vaccinated against it.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:24 am 
Forum Legend

Cici's annual booster shot appointment is nearing and I've been doing some research/shopping around about the titers.

The cost through the vet's lab is prohibitive. NCSU and Dr. Dodds offer much better rates, though NCSU's lab does not even do the Lyme's test. They do lepto titers for $7!

This is what Cici's vet said in an email to me:

Dr. has looked over the information for CiCi and does not think that the Lyme or Leptospirosis titers would be helpful. There is no Lyme titer available that assess vaccine status (the Lyme titer only looks for infection/disease). The titer for Leptospirosis is available but similarly it is only looking at exposure or infection and will not be able to predict vaccine protectiveness. If you would like to reduce vaccines for CiCi then Dr. said that you could stop these two vaccines and keep her on tick prevention year round, keep her out of the woods/nature areas, and keep her away from sources of standing water.

It does help that Cici would never set paw in a puddle. But, I am confused. I thought titers measured the presence of antibodies and therefore, protection from disease, not checking for disease itself.

:roll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:30 am 
Active Forum Member

Titers do measure for antibodies, but only for the core vaccines which are virus's, not for the bacterial,which that is what lepto and lyme are. Check with your county health dept to find out if there have been any incidences with lepto and how frequent it is. The problem with the bacterial vaccines is that they are not 100% effective in preventing the disease, just because you give your dog the vaccine doesn't mean he is not going to get it, only a lesser form of it. As said my previous dog got lyme within 4 months of getting the shot, and compared to her getting it a few years later again without getting a shot, I will admit that with the shot the lyme wasn't as severe. But for my own reasons,due to research I don't give Snickie the lyme shot, she is 6 and knock on wood hasn't gotten it. And due to her reaction to her second lepto shot, I now forgo that.
Bacterial vaccines are short lived, about 9 months is what you get, I do have a link here and Merial has a 15 month lepto shot, you may want to ask your vet about it if it is available to him. Given at the right time you may be able to go every other year on that.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/recombitek-4-lepto.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:04 am 
Forum Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQ-22NPRH8

Dr. Becker and Dr. Dodds Talk About Titers
by MercolaHealthyPets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQrh34kHB7s