An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Possible IMHA/Blood Disorder Danger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 am 
I Rescue Cockers

One of the other threads posted in this section discussed flea/tick control. I was very concerned, as both a cocker spaniel owner and doggy mom to an IMHA survivor, to see feeding garlic to your dog was mentioned as a flea deterrent with several studies quoted as to how much garlic a dog can safely eat before the garlic starts to break down blood cells. I stated my concerns as;

While as an evaluator I studied psychometrics and statistics and am well aware of the "how much of this substance can they eat before it actually is toxic" figures, this can also be quite dangerous. For instance, it is a known fact that garlic and onions can cause a breakdown in red blood cells. Yes a normal dog would gave to ingest a large amount for it to be an issue. However, were the specific studies you quoted done only on cocker spaniels? It is a known fact that approximately one-third of all IMHA cases are in cocker spaniels with the fatality rate even with early diagnosis and aggressive treatment at about 50%. There are currently additional studies being done ONLY on cocker spaniels because there is a hypothesis that they are predisposed to the disease due to something in a genetic make-up. Based on that, how much garlic will be too much in a cocker spaniel to trigger an IMHA reaction? Why would anyone take that chance without there being any information on the difference between the possible genetic factor and it's impact in this instance?

Basically what I am saying is that people doing studies can come up with figures and people can quote the heck out of them to prove a point. I'm sure there are poisons that can be ingested that won't prove fatal until after a certain point as well but I wouldn't feed it to anyone I loved until a half-ounce before the lethal amount to prove a point.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

Post subject: Re: Possible IMHA/Blood Disorder Danger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:25 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you for posting this message. I agree. It is also important to note that each dog is different with sensitivities of their own and a quantity that might be suitable for one may not be appropriate for another and I'd rather not experiment on my pup.

Post subject: Re: Possible IMHA/Blood Disorder Danger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:36 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I agree with Vickie on this 1000%. Those of us who have gone thru this battle know not to give our dogs anything that even in safe doses could trigger an IMHA reaction. Cockers seem to have different systems than other dogs and the potential triggers for IMHA are real, things that don't affect other dogs can affect cockers. My Brady got sick 2 weeks after Heartguard Plus, which probably triggered his IMHA, but many dogs take that and have no issues, just like many dogs never get ill after rabies but some do. After our battle with IMHA I do a risk/benefit analysis and the benefits have to far far outweigh the risks for anything. Flea control can be done in much safer ways than garlic.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy