Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Lip fold Pyoderma..argghh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:17 am 
Forum Legend

:mad

I think Cici has developed lip fold pyoderma. UGH! After all the care taken to wipe her face after she eats and after a walk...arrghhhhhh!

It's on the lower lip folds on either side of her chin. Just hair loss, no broken skin, no scaling or swelling I can see, just two small bald spots on either side and SOOOO difficult to see. You really have to stretch the skin to see it.

I am applying povidone iodine as i saw online and coconut oil. I can try the ACV, too. Povidone Iodine might be staining, but it does wash off easily, and she is black, so it doesn't show.

Please tell me there is a way to avoid antibiotics!!!! I know they will prescribe strong antibiotics if i tell the vet. Of course, I'll see the vet if it gets really bad, but I want to try other methods first because I am reading that it just comes back after antibiotics if you don't prevent it.

Please tell me I can fix this and what you've done if you've experienced it!

Post subject: Re: Lip fold Pyoderma..argghh
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:51 am 
Forum Legend

Some old posters would say use Listerine, we had used OACV cotton balls straight on the poor old boy it did knock it down, but the cure and preventive of teeth going bad and every four years of teeth cleaning with the money saved. DO THIS

Brush the teeth with coconut oil and in months it is cured. Get a cheap Dollar Store TOOTH BRUSH without the rubber scrubbers. The old style tooth brush, don't know why they call it a tooth brush should be teeth brush but may be they were trying to save their only tooth? :lol

Ollie would run an hide every night with the applying the OACV and today he wants his teeth brushed with coconut oil.
About a third of a teaspoon take half of that packed into the brush for about twenty to thirty seconds on one side then the other half for the other side with same amount of time. It will melt into the folds and cure the problem. :joy

You'll never have to visit the VET for teeth cleaning ever the rest of CICI's life. Don't tell anyone!!!

Oh, if your adventurist enough try it yourself, but don't swallow it or spit it into the sewer system. It could freeze hard. I put in in a container until it's full. Your mouth will tell you, your tooth paste is a waste, with coconut oil your mouth will not feel it's age. :wow It will feel like a baby's mouth. I do brush five or ten minutes and go through a brush a week. It might hurt for a while but that the gum infection in your mouth.

Things your Vet won't tell you they never learned. When your cocker comes into the room and the smell of rotten lip folds, that was Ollie's damaged folds. The last time we smelled that smell was rotten teeth that killed our girl.

If the smell has started you can rub the folds and your fingers should pick up the smell of the infection. Oh by the way he did give me some kind of wart on my arm as I rub him, as I drive my car. He would rest his head on that spot where the wart started. I have a scar today.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:10 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks, Joe. I don't smell anything and I know she does not particularly like OACV. Coconut oil, she loves. She still does take off like a canon ball after i rub it on her mouth; i know she thinks i am totally nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 am 
Forum Legend

Wish I had taken photos, before and after. All I know his teeth are clean and healthy and so are mine. :cool

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 am 
Forum Legend

So will it also take months for the hair to come back, too? If the skin cracks or looks badly infected, I might have to do the antibiotic thing, but for now, it's pretty smooth and she isn't itchy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 pm 
Active Forum Member

Just make sure it's not caused by the top fangs hitting the lower jaw, if it is no more kibble. Hold the mouth together and see if the top fangs line up where the problem is :th-up Like Joe said ACV or coconut oil would be better than anti-biotics

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:14 am 
Forum Legend

For those that don't already know, I wanted to note how amazing these wipes were for Cici's pyoderma. It's practically gone.

http://www.amazon.com/Sogeval-Douxo-Cou ... B00G3D8JL0

When I first had her lip folds examined by the vet after trying the coconut oil for 2-3 months, the vet said there was no need for antibiotics because it was just tiny hairless patches with no infection. The reason there was no infection is that her mouth is wiped clean immediately after a meal.

But these Duoxo wipes took it the extra mile. They are pricey, and I cut one wipe into two and used it every night for 2 months. They're great!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:35 am 
Forum Legend

How were you using the coconut oil?

You can't just rub it on the folds. Brushing Oliver's teeth twice a day about a 1/2 teaspoon a side. When it's colder than 68 degrees it's harder to brush and handle the oil. Last brush time is bed time.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:48 am 
Forum Legend

I have a demanding schedule and cannot brush her teeth twice a day. I let some melt in my palm and used it on her brush.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 am 
Forum Legend

Melting the coconut oil onto the brush is wreaking the effect you need to shave it with a teaspoon, if very hard then pack the tooth brush with it. It will melt in the dog's mouth when brushing starting with the rear molars and finish up front about 20 seconds each side. This way it flows into the folds where we want it. One brushing like this before bed time would work too. We put a towel down on the bed to catch the dropping and lay the spoon down on it to brush the other side. I pack the top of the tooth brush on the side that's getting brushed and start with the top of the mouth. If we have anything left over he licks the spoon clean.

Joe