Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Dysplasia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 am 
Forum Legend

Hi everyone.
Rai has recently been diagnosed with dysplasia and has to undergo surgery. I'm a bit frightened as he is my first dog and my little fur baby and I'm really new to this. I never thought we could face such difficulties as he's a healthy, happy dog. I have absolutely no idea what this could represent to him. I've been told he will need at least three months to recover after the surgery. I would really appreciate any information, comments, advice or similar experiences you could share.
Thank you so much in advance.

Post subject: Re: Dysplasia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:23 pm 
Forum Legend

I am sorry Rai has dysplasia. As your first dog, it must be scary. I have never had a dog with dysplasia, but have witnessed it in someone else's dog. The surgery is said to have a high success rate and with plenty of rest, limited movement and TLC, your dog should be back to normal. He may want to over-exercise when he feels better a few weeks after surgery, but take it slowly.

I experienced the IVDD injury in Cici a few months ago for the first time. Her injury was so bad, she was falling flat on the floor when she got up. She avoided surgery, but it was bad enough for a couple months where she was allowed no movement except for potty breaks. She was very bored and needed to be constantly monitored - even when she was much improved , but not 100%, I could not allow her to do any crazy jumps or movements so as not to set back her healing. I got her non slip socks because we have wood floors, so perhaps that could be something you could look into if you have slippery floors after his surgery. Wood floors are awful for dogs with any joint issues.

http://www.dogquality.com/products/grip ... HwodgRgPXA

Because of limited movement during recovery, I massaged her legs and back. She loved it.

We suspect it happened after she did a very high jump a few times into our truck back seat, so I NEVER let her do it again. I always pick her up and put in the car.

Also got rid of her raised bed while she was recovering. No stairs, she was carried.

My neighbor gives her dogs glucosamine supplements. You could ask your doctor if those are suitable for your dog.

Generally speaking, with joint issues, surgery etc, only time and limited movement heals. It's a slow process that requires tons of patience. I was very impatient and anxious to see Cici back to her normal self.

To be honest, I think dogs deal with these things far better than we do :) They go with the flow.

Last edited by Cici on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have not had a dog with dysplasia, but I have also had friends whose dogs had to undergo surgery for it. The biggest takeaway I've gotten from them is that when the vet says to limit movement, do everything you can to make sure that happens! it's amazing how many dogs have complications or slow recovery from surgery because the owner let them do too much, too fast. It's in Rai's absolute best interest to stay still and let his body recover. It's soo hard to do that with dogs, especially active ones, but it's ultimately in their best interest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

I haven't dealt with dysplasia either, but wanted to let you know that you and Rai will be in my thoughts. Although it is hard to hear that you are dealing with a complex surgery, it is nice to know that there is something that can be done now. Sending lots of positive thoughts!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:59 am 
Forum Legend

Cici's mom, Hannah and Susan,
Thank you so much for your replies and your kind words. Everyone's been telling me it's a simple procedure, but (I guess it's because it's our first time and totally unexpected) I'm scared to death. It's tough. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:56 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. I did not deal with dysplasia but Riley had 2 luxating patella surgeries a few years apart. Recovery issues are similar-crate rest for 6 weeks and follow the vets instructions on what the dog can do exactly. Restricting jumping and running is key, especially when he is feeling better and thinks he can do more than he should. Several years later I still do not allow Riley to jump off the bed or let him run hard while playing ball outside. Joint supplement is also something you should talk to your vet about. We go for walks but his muscles in both his legs are not strong as they should be.

Yes he will be bored. I was lucky that I was home during Riley's recuperation, and whenever I could I would watch TV with him in my chair. We went for car rides, just anything to break up being in the crate. We just spent alot of time together. But if I was not one on one with him he was in the crate. The second one was in June and we were at camp so he spent alot of time outside with me, on the boat, etc. I remember with the first one the weather was awful, we were anticipating a week of rain so hubby put up our easy up.

The other thing you may find helpful is getting a large crate (size for shepards, labs, goldens) for extra room. I put a heavy blanket on the bottom and the first few days pulled the blanket out of the crate with him on it, easier than trying to lift him up in the crate. I got the crate cheap on craigslist for $25, its a really nice soft sided that many show folks use because it folds up flat, not appropriate for chewing puppies but certainly was perfect for our needs. Actually the first night he slept on the floor with me next to him so he could sprawl out, then he was in the crate.

Will be thinking of you and hoping the procedure goes well.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:51 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you so much, Sandy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:57 am 
Forum Legend

Oh also, like Sandy said to break up the boredom, you could also get a stroller to go for walks. Check craigslist or neighbors for anyone getting rid of theirs since it is a temporary need.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Need plenty cartilage, antioxidants, and Omega 3 fatty acids all of this will help in the recovery. Good luck if you have the surgery. Can you get get chicken feet? Chicken Feet, Beef Tracheas, and Other Natural Glucosamine ...

Joe

That's how I repaired my torn knee, it took three months to climb up a hill with that extra pressure going up the grade.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:13 am 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Need plenty cartilage, antioxidants, and Omega 3 fatty acids all of this will help in the recovery. Good luck if you have the surgery. Can you get get chicken feet? Chicken Feet, Beef Tracheas, and Other Natural Glucosamine ...

Joe
All that plus diatomaceous earth in food.

Post 34
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/s ... asia/page4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 am 
Forum Legend

Would you like more information how to treat Dysplasia?

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around lately. After a thorough examination, the doctor concluded that Rai didn't need surgery. We just give him half a pill of chondroprotective medicine every day, which has helped him be his old self. He runs, jumps and goes on long walks again. He's just perfect. We were concerned about the long term effects of everyday medication but the vet said that it is entirely made of natural ingredients and there was nothing to worry about.

I just couldn't believe it when the surgeon, examining his x-ray, explained that the problem was not as bad as he thought it would be and that surgery was not necessary. I promise I had to suppress the urge to jump into his arms. We were relieved. He suggested another option which does not require surgery, in case he had problems again.

I would like to thank everyone for all the advice, suggestions, and support.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

That is great news! :th-up Thanks so much for letting us know... I've been wondering how it went and have been keeping you and Rai in my thoughts. Do you mind sharing the name of the medicine you are using? I would love to do a little research just in case.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:19 pm 
Forum Legend

:YAY congratulations!!!

Please do share the name of the supplement. Is it like glucosamine for joints?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:59 am 
Forum Legend

Cici and Susan,

The name of the medicine is Hyaloral and you can see a picture here:http://noticiasaxoncomunicacion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sobres-hyaloral-300x277.jpg
Yes Cici it contains glucosamite, as well as hyaluronic acid, hydrolyzed collagen, gamma oryzanol, and chondroitin sulfate.

Thank you so much for your kind words and your concern. :hp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Good news, but I guess a changed diet, would work also, so something had to be missing in the original dog food? Not trying to be hard on the food you picked out, but the dogs body should be telling you something was missing.

Question on clipping nails, would they splinter?

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 pm 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Good news, but I guess a changed diet, would work also, so something had to be missing in the original dog food? Not trying to be hard on the food you picked out, but the dogs body should be telling you something was missing.

Question on clipping nails, would they splinter?

Joe

You're probably right about the diet, it had never crossed my mind because he eats well and healthily.

No, the nails won't splinter when being clipped, at least not that I know of.

Thank you, Joe.