An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Kennel Cough In Puppy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:47 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi guys! I posted yesterday about Gizmo but I have a new concern today...last week 9/16 the vet diagnosed him with Kennel Cough and gave us Clavamox 3ml to give him twice a day. He was feeling better very fast. Yesterday his cough has started to return a little and now he has a yellowish mucus nasal discharge :( I have another appt at 4:30 today just because the discharge is alarming to me. Has anyone else dealt with nasal discharge with Kennel cough in their puppies?

Post subject: Re: Kennel Cough In Puppy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:35 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I would be concerned about parvo. Did your vet test him for this?

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Not to alarm you, but I would be concerned about Parvo, too. It can be deadly. Please see your vet ASAP.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Please let us know hat the vet says. I agree, I'd be concerned about parvovirus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:00 am 
Active Forum Member

The vet tested him for Parvo last week and it came back negative thankfully. The vet yesterday told me he looks really healthy besides the discharge and cough so she wants him to finish the first round of antibiotics. He's very playful and jumping around so she told me not to worry too much. I'm relieved!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:09 am 
Active Forum Member

He coughed through the whole night last night but amazingly was as playful as ever. Poor pup's throat must be irritated from coughing. I called the vet this morning who said she would prescribe him something to ease his throat but he's too young for the medicine she has. She said he needs to tough it out until his antibiotics are finished and as long as he's eating, drinking, and playing as usual I shouldn't be too worried. I just feel so bad for the little guy. I hope it all passes really soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:31 pm 
Active Forum Member

Do any of you have tips on remedies for his kennel cough? He seems really uncomfortable with all the coughing hes doing right now. He keeps trying to elevate his head when he lays down. I have a humidifier going for him right now. I've also tried warm water and honey with a syringe and even just a little bit of honey on its own. He can't seem to get comfortable enough to get some actual rest. Everytime he finally gets to shut his eyes he ends up coughing 10-15 minutes later. Any tips guys? :( The vet cant give us any cough suppressants because he is so young. I hate to see him suffer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:46 pm 
Forum Legend

I found these natural remedies on line; however, I would NOT use any of them without the advice of your vet. Your puppy is just too young.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... cough.aspx

If you have a rolled up towel or something that he can put his head on, maybe it would alleviate his cough a little and open his airways. Other than that, I think what you are doing with a humidifier and a tiny bit of honey is good. Be careful with the honey, though. I know it can cause botulism in infants but I'm not sure about puppies. You might want to check that, too.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend

I would try a STEAM vaporizer with real sea salt mixed with bottled water. Celtic sea salt, a pink sea salt from Costco. This is what I would try.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:13 pm 
Forum Legend

When the vet said he had to tough it out, I would have been looking for another vet, mmediately. I hope he's better soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:16 am 
Active Forum Member

I remember a long time ago I had a puppy who had gotten kennel cough, she was 6 months old, a little older,than your's. I had taken her in to be spayed, and about a week later she came down with kennel cough. The vet gave me antibiotics and that was it. I do remember him saying that the cough was worse than what it actually was, and it would get worse before it got better. It sounds terribly I know, but it's nothing more than a cold for us.
What you are doing is the best you can really do, until it passes. As long as she is eating and running around, she'll be ok. I remember mine, and she coughed more when she was active. I do remember reading sometime ago cough medicine would help, but since you are using the honey, that would act as the same.That is probably why the Vet can't give you the cough syrup, it's probably too strong for a 13 week old puppy
Several years ago I came down with Pertussis (whopping cough) and all the Dr could do was give Cough Syrup,which helped to calm it,but that was it. If anyone has had it, it's the 100 day cough. I did research on it at the time, and believe it or not, it is a form of kennel cough, Bortedella. The cough from that sounds horrible but, that is all it is, an annoying cough. Hope your little one gets better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Little Gizmo ended up in the ER for pneumonia Friday night :( I was so scared because none of the doctors would say if he would make it out or not. They seemed very sad. Fast forward to today, Sunday morning, Gizmo is more alert and he's eating. They said they are doing an IV antibiotic as well as fluids for him. When he came in on Friday night they were giving him oxygen at 100% because his was so low but they are confident he can be taken off soon. They called me yesterday to say he wasn't eating so I drove to the hospital with his regular food where he ate the whole bowl they gave us, he's loving it! Everyone keep my baby in your prayers, I'm really hoping he'll be back with me tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:44 am 
Forum Legend

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I've been reading your posts. It sounds like he is responding well. I hope he gets home soon. I bet he can't wait to get outta there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:15 am 
Active Forum Member

Little Gizmo should be coming home with us today finally! He's been hospitalized since Friday. We are so happy to have him back finally. However his bills have exceeded $4000 already for the aggressive treatment provided to him that saved his life. I do not expect any donations from anyone but if anyone is interested I did start a GoFundMe page for him. Thank you guys for all your tips and support!! Gizmo will be around for me to show you pictures of him growing up and all the mischief he'll be getting into.

I can't wait to share his life with all of you!!

Here is the link :)

https://www.gofundme.com/puppygizmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 am 
Forum Legend

i am sorry you had to spend so much so soon in his life, but glad he is finally better. Crap happens - to any dog, no matter how well-bred.

I strongly advise you to get insurance. There are many threads on insurance on this forum. It's very inexpensive to pay for monthly. I pay under $50 a month for Cici. She has not been seriously ill, but it has more than paid off whenever she needed it. It is important to get insurance when the pup is young, or pre-existing conditions can be excluded. It is also cheaper for a young pup like him.

If Cici ever needs to be hospitalized, I know I won't have to worry about getting hit with thousands of $$ of a hospital bills.

Also, there's plenty of info on this forum about ear cleaners and probiotics to keep the dog healthy so you can avoid having to go to the vet for the little stuff that can happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:04 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree completely. Jennie was hospitalized the day after I brought her home. At 8 weeks and 1 day old, she was seriously dehydrated and needed to be kept overnight on IV fluids. That one night cost $1300.00. I have her insured now and it is only about $36.00 per month. I've already used it once and it paid back the entire first year of premiums.

We'll keep sending you positive thoughts for Gizmo. They find a place in your heart so quickly!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 am 
Active Forum Member

I've got the little on insurance that I signed up for the day we got him but unfortunately it wont be kicking in until tomorrow 09/30. That's just my luck :p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:24 pm 
Forum Legend

AllieC wrote:
I've got the little on insurance that I signed up for the day we got him but unfortunately it wont be kicking in until tomorrow 09/30. That's just my luck :p

Ugh! Sorry :(