The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Seizure - alternatives for medication?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi,

My male cocker 5 years old, started to have what we think mild seizures, we have noticed 2 this years.
The vet does think it is necessary to start a medication at this point.

I am reading a lot of causes of seizure, I have done the basic blood test for liver, kidney, thyroid etc...but everything is normal.

I want to know if anybody has heard about this natural alternative phosphatidylcholine?
Source: http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/Nat ... -Seizures/

Also another natural medication:
with St-John`s Wort
https://www.purelypets.com/shop-by-alim ... ats-detail

Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Seizure - alternatives for medication?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am 
Active Forum Member

How often are they?
Always around full moon? http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Whipworms/Symptoms.aspx
Tested for blood sugar levels? ( diabetes )
How often do you feed?
Suffers from poor teeth?

Last edited by James on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:39 am 
Forum Legend

Kateri:

I had an older dog who developed seizures (she was around 14 or 15 at the time) and we put her on Kbr (potassium bromide). In retrospect, she had only two seizures before we started the drug and I would probably wait longer than that, because some of the side effects were worrisome. I think what I would recommend is to keep a journal of when he has a seizure, and then investigate what might have been going on around that time: was he recently vaccinated? did he get into something in the house? eat something different? exposed to something different? You might start to see a pattern - and you might also see that his seizures are so few and far between that it's best to do nothing.

That being said, I don't know much about the alternative medicine options and my vet tends to shy away from them (which could be only because he is a traditional vet and doesn't make money on alternative medicines) because they are not very well regulated, so the dosing is "iffy."

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

James:

See my answers below in blue.

Tested for blood sugar levels? ( diabetes ) yes for liver, diabete, kidney, thyroid, hypoglycemiaHow often do you feed? Twice with treats between
Suffers from poor teeth? No, I brush their teeth every night with special toothpaste

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

Mackie wrote:
James:

See my answers below in blue.

Tested for blood sugar levels? ( diabetes ) yes for liver, diabete, kidney, thyroid, hypoglycemiaHow often do you feed? Twice with treats between
Suffers from poor teeth? No, I brush their teeth every night with special toothpaste

Thanks

So did you have stool samples done (although very unreliable), whip and hookworms can cause seizures. Just I've known whipworm cause seizures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:26 pm 
Forum Legend

Brushing doesn't help it doesn't work we did it for a year and a half. You need to check the gum line BY scraping with your finger nail, see if you remove some plaque. Look at the gum line you should be able to see if there is any infection.

What kind of dog food being used?

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe:

I was feeding my dog before September with Orijen beef (Regional red)
http://www.orijen.ca/dog-food/.
But during that time, my cocker had a small seizure (last May).

We changed to raw diet (pure turkey), and he had another seizure this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm 
Forum Legend

Read the story about Arlo World or the last three pages. Now you say turkey are you making a meal in a food processor or package animal food.

She thought Arlo was having seizures.

Any flea control, heart worm medicines, vaccinations lately? Did he get his booster shot yet?

If it's not diet and the 5 year is old getting it's minerals and vitamins, a mri might be needed.

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe:

1) Where can I find/read the story about Arlo World? I am interested to know about the story.
2) Turkey meal: we are buying the package animal food by this cie http://www.bigcountryraw.ca/
3) Flea control, heart worm medicines: Yes, we have a new puppy on board and he brought some walking dandruff, I had to put my 3 cockers on Revolution. They got the medicine on Jan 16 and the seizure happened on the night of Jan 20. However it is not the first time that I gave them Revolution ( flea control, heart worm medicines)

4) I am currently ordering a supplement of vitamins

Sorry but what is a mir? a scan?

Thanks

Kateri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm 
Forum Legend

I meant MRI scan of the brain, there could be a growth if no growth maybe a treatment of minerals and vitamins. This is what either a vet or holistic vet should treat.
That kibble is one of the best, should have everything the cocker needs, I like your raw turkey Company dog food.

Arlo's worlds is just below your posting by one or two, just look.
https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... =35&t=8319

There are 22 or 23 pages of comments this up above is a short story. The seizure started last three pages.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

Mackie wrote:
Joe:

1) Where can I find/read the story about Arlo World? I am interested to know about the story.
2) Turkey meal: we are buying the package animal food by this cie http://www.bigcountryraw.ca/
3) Flea control, heart worm medicines: Yes, we have a new puppy on board and he brought some walking dandruff, I had to put my 3 cockers on Revolution. They got the medicine on Jan 16 and the seizure happened on the night of Jan 20. However it is not the first time that I gave them Revolution ( flea control, heart worm medicines)

4) I am currently ordering a supplement of vitamins

Sorry but what is a mir? a scan?

Thanks

Kateri

Should be MRI scan, to see Arlo at top of page click view active topics , halfway down that page.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 am 
Active Forum Member

On a recent post from Darra with her Grommit being recently diagnosed with a heart murmur, James mentioned feeding organ meat for an organ problem, :OMY but I said to myself, oh what the heck. let me check this out, I had never heard of it, but it was worth checking into. Well it seems that it may not be so far fetched. Some ACS are prone to taurine deficiencies, and it will cause seizures, heart murmurs, and cardiomyopathy. Having grown up with cats, they can get pretty sick without it, in the wild eating mice takes care of that, didn't know that dogs could have that problem too. Feeding beef hearts have a lot of taurine, feeding raw meat has some but not a lot. Don't really know if there is a test to find out if there is a deficiency, but you may want to talk to your Vet about it, taurine is readily available in pet stores in the cat section.
Using flea meds can also cause seizures, and just because you've always used it before and never had a problem doesn't mean that its not causing a problem now. The companies are always tinkering with the amounts of ingredients that go into it, the fleas and ticks become immune to the product so they have to keep reformulating. I know my vet will always ask how good a product is working, they then pass that info onto the pharmaceutical companies. Just something to think about, good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am 
Forum Legend

I PM her about the heart worm and flea control as using flea meds can also cause seizures. Thanks for the back up on both with heart meat. If that's not the cause then the MRI should be needed looking for a growth on the brain.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Some good info there Denise, thanks. I remember someone telling their me dog was having seizures but didn't keep dogs myself so wasn't really listening. Ended the cause was slug and snail pellets the dog was eating in the back garden. Loads of possible causes with some 80% caused by low thyroid and with normal readings not always enough for some dogs it's a minefield. Best advise I could give is feed all fresh food with organ meat and rule out any deficiencies and of course a complete parasite cleanse don't want them stealing all the nutrients.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Brushing doesn't help it doesn't work we did it for a year and a half. You need to check the gum line BY scraping with your finger nail, see if you remove some plaque. Look at the gum line you should be able to see if there is any infection.

What kind of dog food being used?

Joe

For bad gums this is the only natural solution : "Myrrh commiphora molmol tincture" but it works and fast.
http://www.vetinfo.com/natural-dog-gum-disease-treatment.html