Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Mast Cell Tumor-Looking for Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:41 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

My friend's 6 yr old black lab had a mast cell tumor removed a few months ago from her back. She recently found another growth on her leg which the vet deemed suspicious so that one was also sent out. She joined a lab forum but did not get any responses, so I thought I would post here if anyone had any advice for her since I know some people have dealt with these. She is quite a doting mom and does everything for her baby and would appreciate hearing form others who have gone thru this. Thanks.

Callie, Casey & Riley

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

Post subject: Re: Mast Cell Tumor-Looking for Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:32 pm 
Forum Legend

I dealt with mast cell tumors with my first cocker. The first one was attached inside the skin on her belly, a small marble one day, large and gnarly by the next morning. Our vet knew exactly what it was when he first felt it, and removed it with clean margins within 18 hours of discovery. She was just past 11 then. She lived in good health for another 6 years, then another grew in her throat.

From everything I've read, if they can get clean margins, there's a pretty good chance of several more healthy years. If not, chemo (pills) are often recommended, but are only about 30% successful.

What seems to be more important is to remove ALL chemical exposure: no vaccines, no flea spot-on, no chemicals on the carpet and floors at home, no air borne pollution (use a good air filter), etc.

Mast cell tumors are an immune response.

Mom to
Cricket, home 1-29-2012 - 3-29-2017, 5 yrs, 2 mo of Love
Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Cici has a fatty lipoma on her belly - vet said these happen and are left alone. Are these also some sort of immune response??

Bear Mama to
Cici - 8 years old (Gotcha Dec 14, 2013)
Raleigh, North Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:26 am 
Active Forum Member

According to one holistic vet writing for Natural Dog magazine, fatty lipomas are the dog's body's way to try to eliminate a toxin that can't be eliminated through the liver or kidneys. Here's his recommendations on how to avoid the toxins:

Once present, lipomas are difficult to treat so prevention is the best approach. In my experience, key contributors to lipomas include:

Poor Diet

Carbohydrates, chemical preservatives and other toxins found in processed foods all contribute to fatty tumor growth. Water is also an important part of your dog’s diet and tap water should be avoided as the chlorine can damage your dog’s thyroid and upset his endocrine system.

Drugs and Chemicals

The products used on dogs to control fleas, ticks, heartworms and other worms are not only toxic to insects and parasites, they are toxic to your dog. There are natural and effective ways to control these internal pests without toxic residue. Vaccines and other pharmaceutical products are also loaded with contaminants and should be avoided whenever necessary.

Your dog’s environment is a major source of toxins, especially if herbicides or pesticides are used in your area. In the spring and summer, the pest trucks are everywhere, spraying poisons to kill ants, fleas, ticks and everything else in their path, including you and your dog. I recommend you never use any of these products in your home or yard – ever. As for the bugs, they’re supposed to be there so, for the sake of our environment, leave them alone. When you walk your dog in parks or areas where there is a likelihood of herbicides and pesticides being used, wash your dog’s feet off with soap and water when you get home to prevent him from licking or absorbing the toxins through the pads of his paws.

I remember years ago reading about some communities on the east coast that noticed an increase in pet cancers after they started using Weed-be-gone in their parks and parking strips. Once they stopped the spraying, the cancer rates slowly declined back to the pre-spray levels. My neighbors think I'm nuts, but I have spend many a summer day pulling up clover in my front lawn rather than spraying to get rid of it. I don't want to just let it stay because Jennie tries to catch the bees that feed on the clover flowers. Silly puppy!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers