An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Iodine Foot Soak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:27 am 
Forum Legend

Has anybody tried an iodine foot soak to keep your dog's feet clean and itch-free? Oliver has always been a foot chewer and allergy-prone, but Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream) has been great at keeping the eye gunk at bay and his eyes from watering. He's still a chewer though, and someone recommended an iodine foot soak to me.

The general idea is you fill the bathtub or a large sink with an inch or two of water (enough to cover the pads of the feet), and then you add in enough povidone-iodine to turn the water the color of iced tea. You let the dog's feet soak for 2-5 minutes, and then simply pat dry, no rinsing needed. This is supposed to remove the toxin load that their feet can accumulate from pesticides, grass and weeds, mites, etc. etc.

Has anybody tried it with success? I gave Oliver a soak earlier today and I'm going to see if there's any improvement...we shall see.

Post subject: Re: Iodine Foot Soak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm 
Forum Legend

How do you know it's a allergy-prone, problem? Foot pads are a sweat gland and it could be a mineral problem. If you don't want to believe me look that up. I recommend a very good sea salt in Oliver's diet. Look that up too. Look for a dog food with sea salt in it. Does Oliver lick your face, if so he is lacking salt and not table salt.

BamaSherill

Jul 04, 2008
To: licking feet
Dogs will lick there feet for several reasons.
One of the most common is allergies. Just as humans have allergies, dogs to to. Allergies of all kinds manifest themselves on
the skin and paw pads of dogs. Allergies cause hot spots on their skin
and tenderness of their paw pads. The licking and biting is an attempt
to find relief. The allergies could be from flea bites, grains in their dog food, pollen, house hold cleaners, or other allergens in our environment.
What to do???
For temporary relief, however not a cure....Use Sea Salt (not table salt) combine 1/2 of sea salt to 2 gallons of fresh water in a large pan of water for the dog to stand in.
A bath tub works great for large dogs. A good overall bath with a tick and flea shampoo will help them to rid them of these parasites, while riding their coat of pollen and other irritants.
Gently wash their paw pads in the salt water.
Another reason for paw pad tenderness is detergents and fragrances used in household cleaners. A dog doesn't have to make contact with an irritant, it can be airborne and still
cause their paw pads and skin to become irritated.
The most effective way to help your pet is to identify the problem and eliminate it.
Clean walking surfaces of pollen, keep your dog safe from ticks and fleas with topical meds every month (the most effective is K-9 Advantix), avoid grains in dog food, it's a cheap filler, however dogs have NO nutritional requirement for grains, and use natural household cleaners in your home. If your dog suffers greatly from allergies, you may want to see your vet for a cortizone shot, especially during spring bloom.
I hope this helps.

If it's a fungus use organic apple cider vinegar non pasteurize. Look up the percentage vinegar to water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3bi-FQL2o

Hate to say this if Oliver's ears and feet have a Allergy-prone, problem, you need to find another dog food. What do I know RIGHT!

Did you fix your clipper?

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Look for a food that is grass fed, like buffalo, bison, venison or Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Surf & Turf Formula Dry Dog Food

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've never heard of using iodine, but my vet had me use a diluted listerine (original brown only) when one of my fosters had a yeast infection in his feet.

might be worth a trip to the vet if you havent gone already.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 pm 
Forum Legend

Some old timers say the old Listerine is used for treatment for lip fold pyoderma also. Don't think coconut oil on the feet will help the problem. Organic apple cider vinegar that is non pasteurized kind 50/50 with water is another choice. Wonder if Epson salt feet soak would help, why stop at the feet do the whole body after the bath.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

It always interests me when someone comes up with something that I have never heard of. Iodine foot soak, who would ever have thought that, I wouldn't,but I am always curious, so I went out to investigate. Having had a dog in the past with foot, ear and skin problems its always good to know what might work besides the costly vet bills that never seem to cure the problem. Turns out that the iodine foot soak is good for antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti yeast. Three in one not bad. So Adam has the foot soak helped Oliver or not?
Here is a link for the foot soak
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -bath.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:46 am 
Forum Legend

Denise in CT wrote:
Iodine foot soak, who would ever have thought that,

That was my thought, too!

It worked for Oliver for a few days, and then he was back to his old chewing routine. Some people seem to do the wash on a daily basis, but I haven't managed to commit to that just yet. Maybe I should do an extended experiment and see if every other day would help him out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:41 pm 
Forum Legend

I know Adam you don't like me but for Oliver health:

How Yeast Affects Your Dog

Well, yeast is a fungus that likes to grow in moist areas.Yeast on a dog typically affects a dog's skin resulting in an itchy dog. Malassezia is the most common type found on a dog's skin and is usually found on the paws, ear canals, armpits, jowls, anal area and any skin folds that your pooch may have. You can find more information on yeast infections in dogs here.

The areas most affected are the ears and paws. Yeast in dogs ears is very common especially with dogs with floppy ears. But, it's not restricted to floppy-eared dogs and swimming will make it worse. Most often the ears will give off a rather unpleasant pungent smell that's hard to ignore.
My Mum's dog (Tess) had really smelly ears, but it took my Mum a couple of years to get to the bottom of the problem. You can read her story here and see if it sounds familiar.

Dogs sweat from their paws so it's the paws that contain a moist wet environment that yeast loves. You can usually tell if a dog has yeast on their paws by the pungent smell...it's a bit like Fritos. They'll also be licking and chewing at their paws a lot. Their saliva discolors the fur making it a rust color. You'll notice this on any areas that they lick, including the fur between their toes. Of course, if your dog is already this color or has dark fur, you won't notice the discoloration that much.

Dogs that suffer from yeast infections often have a lowered immune system allowing the fungus to proliferate. Antibiotic use is also something that often causes the fungus to start growing out of control. However, some dogs (mine and my Mum's included) just suffer from the itchy symptoms of yeast as soon as the weather gets hot and humid.

Treatment for a Yeast Infection in Dogs

Yeast infections in dogs are best treated with a two-pronged approach:

Treat the local skin area - As yeast is a fungus it must be treated topically with anti-fungal shampoos, dips and sprays.

Treat the digestive tract - Many yeast infections start in the dog's digestive tract which can then leak out and manifest as skin problems.

Adding probiotics and supplements to your dog's diet will help to keep the yeast at a manageable level preventing this break-out from occurring.

Me I would find a new dog food.

You live on the East Coast look into Annamaet grain free sense you feed kibble.

Instead a dip try a spray bottle. How often does Oliver get a bath?

Yeast Infection In Dogs Causes Ear and Paw Problems

http://www.dog-care-knowledge.com/

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

I couldn't have said it better than what Joe said.Ya know, about 15 years ago it all started out pretty innocently when my dog at that time started chewing at her paws. Didn't take it to seriously. But then other things started happening, I took her to the vet, but there wasn't anything definitive to say exactly what was going on, which at that time she was about 8, and now had, been treated for Lyme twice, which meant antibiotics for a month, both times. Two years later everything came crashing down, skin, ear, and eye infections. Vet bills and meds which did nothing, baths with special shampoo every other day, my head was spinning. This was leaky gut, which took a long time to manifest itself, and everything this dog ate she reacted to. I couldn't get control over it, as soon as she came off the meds, back in she went, and it was another 500 dollars. It wasn't until she was placed on special food could I begin to get any kind of control over it, It wasn't a cure, but I was able to keep things in balance with a bath every ten days. I learned a lot from that experience. When I got Snickie she was on Royal Canine, I switched her to Wellness puppy but she didn't handle that to well.I later found out that it was high on the amount of fat that they used and a lot of puppies, couldn't handle it. Because of the problems with the previous dog, which I didn't care to repeat, I put her on the limited ingredient diet, which was a 100% improvement. Went through all the protein sources, and found the only thing she reacted to was lamb, so that is off the list for her.
Not to long ago I read an article about leaky gut in people, they don't call it that for us, there is another name for it, can't remember the name, but the only real way of treating it is to give high doses of probiotics to help seal up the gut and get the yeast under control. If it were me, I would get Oliver on at least a LID and on a protein source that he has never had, like rabbit or kangaroo, for at least 12 weeks and a foot bath every other day. Then see how he is, if he's better then you solved it, if not I'd say bring him to the vet.
Funny thing Joe, my previous dog was a parti and you would have never known she chewed on her paws, there was never any red staining on her paws,they were white, go figure, but I had two neighbors with bichons that chewed their paws and they were red. A lot of foot chewing going on. Never convinced these people it was probably food related, they just said the dogs were neurotic, but they were on cheap grocery store food....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:16 am 
Forum Legend

You are dead on, what you wrote!

My cocker when he ate his food his tail would go down run away from his food like someone blew on his A hole putting it nicely. Thought it was an anal gland problem. NOPE! I have to guess it was yeast infection back there as in that article up above.

He does lick one paw every night, it's his right rear and I think I found the problem, he steps in his pee in the AM with that foot. No cure for that. This happen when he is relaxed ready for bed time.

We don't know how many dogs that have leaky gut, that could cause problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MGJu2kDwI

Annamaet started feeding his sled race dogs it's about their slow cooking of their dog foods.

. His publications include: Downey, R.L., Kronfeld, D.S., and Banta, C.A., "Diet of ... and C-Reactive Protein in Stage-Stop Racing Endurance Sled Dogs.

Rob Downey, President of Annamaet Petfoods Inc. brings to the Petfood Industry the unique combination of a broad scope of knowledge in the field of nutrition as well as a lifelong involvement with dogs. In addition, the tireless efforts of Rob’s wife, Mary Jo, have brought Annamaet to the peak of pet nutrition! This legacy of care and commitment can now extend into the lives of your pets in the form of Annamaet products.

Rob has dedicated many years studying nutrition to improve the health and well being of your canine companions. His publications include: Downey, R.L., Kronfeld, D.S., and Banta, C.A., "Diet of Beagles Affects Stamina." Journal of American Animal Hospital Association, Vol. 16 (1980), pp.273-7.

Annamaet products are holistic and naturally preserved. We have our products continually analyzed by independent laboratories to maintain our strict standards of quality control.

Annamaet was named after Rob’s mother, Anna Mae, who had a real soft spot in her heart for animals. After months of formulating and testing, the first bag was actually sold on her birthday.

Family owned and operated, we have been feeding your pets and ours since 1986.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0UENpNQvEA

It's your choice. Next choice of dog food would be FROMM.

Ears and paw licking is the same problem along with red stains under the eyes.

My dog gets a bath about every 5 to 7 days as he gets really dusty on our walks.

PS Grandpa wanted to try Blue Buffalo, I said no way! Add on the TV.

I'll stick with frozen raw prepackage food. With some kibble when he is over at grandpa's. Maybe it was his lip fold problem that caused the A hole problem too. So many little things add up.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:18 am 
Forum Legend

This is very informative!!

Cici chews her paws in the mornings and then returning from a walk a little - not much. She also scoots. There is no smell and she naps peacefully all day and at night, but I do wonder about it...

she scoots more than she licks paws - even though her anal glands are fine.

The skin between her paws is also a normal pink and white color.

But, I will still order the probiotics additive and anti-yeast spray for her behind and her paws and see if it stops.
it can't hurt!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:12 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh boy.....first day of using the Wham anti itch spray between Cici's paws and she HATES it. So hard to see and spray between those paws!

I did notice a red spot on one only, but no smell....

Sprayed on her butt too - you can imagine the reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:10 am 
Forum Legend

Day 5 of spraying Wham anti-itch spray on Cici's behind. She has stopped scooting completely.

She is not a heavy paw chewer, but that has dramatically reduced, too.

She is on the probiotic powder as well. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 am 
Active Forum Member

I found this better than probiotics:
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Panzym_Concentr ... Ahg_8P8HAQ
Read the 3 reviews.
and this better for anything else:

http://www.iherb.com/21st-Century-Healt ... sules/9621

1/2 capsule twice a day. Read the first 3 reviews.