Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Need advice for Max's bad breath
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi,

My little Max is such a sweetheart, but his breath could drop a horse!

He just turned three years old but has a bad case of stench mouth. His rear molars are covered with course plaque which I can sometimes scrape off with my thumbnail. I don't want to have him anesthetized to have his teeth cleaned... Too dangerous... But what to do? He hates me trying to brush his teeth...
Any hints or magic potions?

Thanks,

Rich

Post subject: Re: Need advice for Max's bad breath
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:21 am 
Forum Legend

It sounds like he allows your finger, so would he allow you to swipe some coconut oil or toothpaste on one of those dog dental wipes so you can reach in and gradually wipe it away?

These things work wonderfully for Cici. She tolerates the toothbrush, but I can't say she lets me do it easily. the vet likes her teeth and we've been buying these at Costco for a lot cheaper. They seem to work very well.

Dental checkups:

http://www.amazon.com/Checkups-Dental-T ... B001T4UMM2

Just introduce them gradually in smaller pieces to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:55 am 
Active Forum Member

Have you tried one of the toothbrushes that fits on your fingertip? Jennie prefers that to any regular toothbrushes. Hers is made of silicone and very easy to use and clean.

I tried a couple of different doggie toothbrushes and none of them worked well. I have used a very soft child size people toothbrush and she did okay, but she really prefers the fingertip model.

I know there are lots of over the counter sprays, but who knows if they actually work? My vet had a poster on the wall for either a chew or a spray that was supposed to help reduce bad breath. I'll try to look for it the next time I go in and I'll post the name of it.

Good luck!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 am 
Active Forum Member

Seems easier to use a tongue brush for me, no sharp edges.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/17106529 ... 108&ff19=0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

I would take Max to the vet for an exam, if his breath is that bad there are serious health issues which could be the cause. If it is not health related, I would definitely put Max under and have his teeth cleaned, once they are professionally done you will be able to use products to try and keep ahead of the tartar buildup.

Alot of people do not realize a buildup of tartar on a dog's teeth will also affect their heart, it is unhealthy to have the tartar buildup, so in comparison putting Max under for a good teeth cleaning is healthier for him than not doing it.

Some dogs have bad teeth, 2 of my three girls require teeth cleaning every 6 months (I brush their teeth daily and use a spray also), my vet is quick to remind me how often their teeth would have to be cleaned if I did nothing.

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:59 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Max isn't very old so, unless there are some underlying medical conditions, anesthesia at three years old should not be an issue. I do know what you mean though because our Teddy, at age 10 years, really needed some tooth cleaning. My vet was able to give him a very light sedation and scale the teeth that really needed it instead of a "full dental deep cleaning" which would have required more anesthesia. Perhaps you can ask your vet about that.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
It sounds like he allows your finger, so would he allow you to swipe some coconut oil or toothpaste on one of those dog dental wipes so you can reach in and gradually wipe it away?

These things work wonderfully for Cici. She tolerates the toothbrush, but I can't say she lets me do it easily. the vet likes her teeth and we've been buying these at Costco for a lot cheaper. They seem to work very well.

Dental checkups:

http://www.amazon.com/Checkups-Dental-T ... B001T4UMM2

Just introduce them gradually in smaller pieces to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

Get a tooth brush or brushes at the dollar store, cool down some coconut oil get first press extra virgin. Scrap a batch into a spoon and pack it into the brush renew to do the other side!! At three years the plaque build up is awful it's time for major clean by the vet. All so could be a lip fold infection! The gums are number one area for better health!

Rub the flu areas see if the smell gets on your fingers! Test each side!

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:25 pm 
Forum Legend

I love Petzlife Oral Care Gel (Amazon carries it, among other places). I started using it when my cocker Oliver was 3 years old and had the same problem. If I hadn't seen the results with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it. Best of all, no brushing needed. You just place the gel on your finger and rub it on his teeth or let him lick it.

There are pictures of his before & after in this thread:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... 35&t=11919

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:39 am 
Forum Legend

hassiman wrote:
Hi,

My little Max is such a sweetheart, but his breath could drop a horse!

He just turned three years old but has a bad case of stench mouth. His rear molars are covered with course plaque which I can sometimes scrape off with my thumbnail. I don't want to have him anesthetized to have his teeth cleaned... Too dangerous... But what to do? He hates me trying to brush his teeth...
Any hints or magic potions?

Thanks,

Rich

What did you find out? Teeth or a lip fold infection?

Adam with eating lamb loins chops my Oliver I had to scrap his teeth it wasn't a hard plaque it was very soft. With brushing with costco coconut oil, two problems were cured, no more scraping and his Lip Fold Pyoderma is no more, it's CURED! Just thirty seconds of brushing.

Some dogs can get a skin infection on the sides of their lower lip which can be quite smelly. These are usually quite itchy as well. Most of these dogs will need a course of oral antibiotics in order for this to clear up. This never cures the infection does more damage being on antibiotics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am beginning to think it is a lower lip fold problem....

Last 2 morning I have been wiping his lower lip folds with hydrogen peroxide which is what Shirley ( his breeder) recommended. His back molar tartar is a problem however...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 pm 
Forum Legend

All that does is dry up the moisture it's not a fix. One can use organic non pasteurize apple cider vinegar, Listerine too. All all it does is a quick one day fix. Brushing with extra virgin organic coconut oil will CURE the problem of the Lip Fold Pyoderma, it will disappear. I know as we had that problem. I got a wart from the Lip Fold Pyoderma on my arm as I pet my dog while driving and he rest his head on my arm.

Dogs love the taste of the coconut oil.

If your lucky it might break down that plaque on the rear molar also. Maybe brushing twice a day could help. If it works it could save several hundreds of dollars from a Vet teeth cleaning. Put that in for better food if you save your dogs teeth.

I killed a cocker not knowing about the mouth health with 12 teeth pulled at one time. Still had to pay the vet. The smell wasn't long as the damage was all ready done. She was very healthy and a very walkable and running dog!

Joe

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Where can I get this stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:53 pm 
Forum Legend

It's great for low temp cooking, even pop corn.
You can get it almost anywhere from Costco, health food stores, to Walmart. You want the extra virgin organic first cold press oil. Their are cheaper but don't get that where you live it will be a oil, at a temp at 80' around 70 to 75 should be a soft paste.

My vet is surprised and all I say it's his raw food diet and bones. 9 year old cocker with clean teeth.
Joe

Don't forget it needs to be cold pressed also! I use the Costco brand and go through a lot of it.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:12 pm 
Forum Legend

hassiman wrote:
Where can I get this stuff?

Here are our Top 5 Uses for Coconut Oil for your pets:

1. Mix the suggested dosage into your pets food or feed it to them on a spoon to increase energy in older pets.

2. Love your dog, but hate their breath? Add a little coconut oil to their daily diet so you don’t pass out every time they breath in your face.

3. Apply coconut oil topically to your pets skin on wounds, rashes, dry or flaky skin, or in ears. This should relieve any pain associated with these problems and stop infection.

4. Coconut oil is also beneficial to your pets skin when added to their diet. Taking the recommended dosage will improve their skin and leave them with a shiny coat!

5. Add to homemade dog treats that are healthy for your pet and full of ingredients that you can actually pronounce! Try my dog’s favorite recipe!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Ww&cad=rja

Not all coconut oil is the same read about it!!!!!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... jQ0qRpCP6g

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:53 pm 
Forum Legend

I can tell you that I have been all over the states on vacation with a four day break and off to Denver on Amtrak. With the hottest days in the north bay in the last weeks on June to July 6 Oliver's Lip Fold Pyoderma is gone. With me inspecting his mouth, with really clean gums and healthy teeth as that was the first thing I did after returning home again. My wife laugh at me when I started this several months ago. She claimed the smell was still there until this week.

She even showed our grandson, her brushing Oliver's teeth. Grandson at 6 has two crowns on his baby teeth already. My son doesn't believe me still.

So much better than every night rubbing his lip fold with organic apple cider vinegar and him going crazy and great grandpa laughing at him. He did put up with it daily but today it's cured. They claim there's no cure. They are wrong! Once the Pyoderma is sets in, it's life time health problem or drugs knock it down but it always comes back.

Joe