The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Can Anyone Recommend an Ear Powder?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:05 pm 
Forum Legend

I've been using the Zim ear cleaner since Oliver came home nearly four years ago, but he HATES it with a capital H. I know lots of dogs aren't fond of it, but he gets incredibly worked up whenever I use it. As soon as I release him, he runs around frantically, rubbing his ears all along the floor, furniture, rugs...and he goes like this for upwards of an hour.

Then, of course, it's the side eye treatment from him for the rest of the day...and his eyes get really red and irritated. I don't know if that's a side effect of the strong cleaner or simply caused by the friction of him rubbing his face all over the place.

I've tried all the tricks, such as heating up the liquid to make it less unpleasant, but he still goes mental.

Has anybody tried an ear powder in the States? I know Vera often recommends Thornit, but I don't believe that's accessible here in the U.S. (Though it does appear it can be ordered for a hefty postage fee)...there seem to be a good deal of grooming powders on Amazon that use iodoform as an active ingredient, which appears to be the same ingredient in the highly recommended Thornit?

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Can Anyone Recommend an Ear Powder?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 am 
Forum Legend

My Zoey is the same way. She hates any liquid in her ear and rolls and rubs forever! I would be interested to see what reccomendations are.
Becky

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:23 am 
Forum Legend

I am interested too. Cici gets worked up, too, though just for a minute or two. I do worry about her causing excessive trauma to her ear or eye by over rubbing and rollling against the floor - as you do.

Have you tried another liquid ear cleaner? Maybe the Zim ear cleaner is a bit harsher and stings a bit? I don't know - I've been meaning to try it too.

Epi-Otic gets rave reviews and I am going to try it. T8Keto has worked for Cici, but I think the bacteria have become resistant.

i know the Epi products are very gentle as I use the shampoo and body lotion. Her doctor recommended it highly saying it is so popular it is on backorder.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm 
Forum Legend

When I was doing cocker rescue and had many ears around to clean, I used to mix-up the Blue Power/Zim Solution, and that's all I used. I noticed that every time a dog came into rescue with a bottle of Epi-Otic (or any other product), they had nasty ears. And many times these people were giving up their dogs "to someone who can take better care of them" because they had been using it as directed, indeed, the bottles were worn, and spending an awful lot of time and money at the vet's office, and the dogs smelled awful and the people were too frustrated... I used the Blue Power/Zim Solution and cleared up most of those ears inside a week. The exceptions were the ears with foxtails embedded- the vet has to remove those, but at least they could now see what the problem was.

In the ensuing years, I have only one cocker, and have gotten lazy about mixing stuff. So I buy a Liquid Health product, K9 Ear Solutions Ear Cleaner.* I use it every 3 weeks, except during the summer months when I run the air conditioner in the house, then I use it every week. I don't fully understand why, but the A/C seems to negatively affect cocker ears.

If it's a bath day, I put the room temperature solution in the ears, squish it around- Cricket LOVES that- then put cotton balls in the ears and bathe. When I'm done rinsing, Dog shakes water off and the cotton balls usually fly out too. I do a good squeeze down all over, pop onto the drying table and put new cotton balls in the ears. They muffle the dryer noise, and absorb the solution that was brought to the outer ear by shaking. When I dry the head, I carefully take the cotton balls out, check for - Whatever- and carefully wipe the outer ear.

If it's a non-bath day, I put the solution in the ears and put dog inside the (dry) tub, close the shower curtain and she shakes her head, then follow the inspection and wiping steps.

I thinking the "squishing around" is one of the keys; it distributes the solution more evenly, and more importantly, it keeps it from puddling and running down into the throat and tear ducts (they are all connected in dogs, just like in people). I suspect that is why the dogs are going a little crazy- it's a weird sensation, and the alcohol and vinegar may sting those other membranes a little bit.

* Very similar ingredients: Alcohol, Boric Acid, Gentian Violet, Colloidal Silver.
We used to have a local feed store that stocked it, then they changed owners. Now I order it through Amazon.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 am 
Forum Legend

Chris Gomes wrote:
When I was doing cocker rescue and had many ears around to clean, I used to mix-up the Blue Power/Zim Solution....

Thanks for your input Chris! :) I know a lot of people use the K9 Ear Solutions product, and it has great Amazon reviews.

Chris Gomes wrote:
If it's a bath day, I put the room temperature solution in the ears, squish it around- Cricket LOVES that- then put cotton balls in the ears and bathe. When I'm done rinsing, Dog shakes water off and the cotton balls usually fly out too. I do a good squeeze down all over, pop onto the drying table and put new cotton balls in the ears. They muffle the dryer noise, and absorb the solution that was brought to the outer ear by shaking. When I dry the head, I carefully take the cotton balls out, check for - Whatever- and carefully wipe the outer ear.

I do the "squish around" technique, but I never thought to put in cotton balls. Might have to try that, because I do notice all the extra liquid that ends up on the exterior of his ears.

Chris Gomes wrote:
I thinking the "squishing around" is one of the keys; it distributes the solution more evenly, and more importantly, it keeps it from puddling and running down into the throat and tear ducts (they are all connected in dogs, just like in people).

This probably sounds silly, but I never thought about everything being connected. Maybe the ingredients *do* irritate his eyes. I mean, it smells awful, I can imagine it would be extremely unpleasant. Maybe I'll give a commercial liquid product like K9 Ear Solutions a shot and see if he responds better to it?

Thanks again Chris :happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks Chris and Adam. I am looking for a new ear cleaner myself because I think the bacteria are becoming resistant to the T8Keto I use. Doctor also noticed. there is more wax buildup. She said it sometimes help to switch them or alternate.

I have been told that anything with alcohol, vinegar and/or peroxide does sting and is very drying if you need to use it often. I noticed that when i flushed her ears with hydrogen peroxide once or twice, it was extremely effective, but the bubbling and god knows what else she was feeling in there drove her insane. So I only use it if I absolutely have to.

Regarding everything being connected, it's so true we don't think about it! Her doctor said some eye problems can occur during ear infections too because it's all connected.

I use the cotton ball technique too. Another thing I had a problem with - and i don't know if this will be helpful to you - is that Cici soemtimes gets wax on her inner ear flap hair that is very sticky and very difficult to remove with the ear cleaner. So when it is bath time, or even btw baths, I use a drop of shampoo on a moist, not wet cotton ball and wipe her flap. Everything comes off, and she doesn't go crazy. I then use a cotton ball with the ear cleaner to finish off the wiping and it stays so clean.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01 pm 
Forum Legend

For you Adam, one can test coconut oil in the ears. If you want to experiment. It can't hurt. Put some on a cotton ball and wipe the ears.

Joe

Here are our Top 5 Uses for Coconut Oil for your pets:

1. Mix the suggested dosage into your pets food or feed it to them on a spoon to increase energy in older pets.

2. Love your dog, but hate their breath? Add a little coconut oil to their daily diet so you don’t pass out every time they breath in your face.

3. Apply coconut oil topically to your pets skin on wounds, rashes, dry or flaky skin, " or in ears". This should relieve any pain associated with these problems and stop infection.

4. Coconut oil is also beneficial to your pets skin when added to their diet. Taking the recommended dosage will improve their skin and leave them with a shiny coat!

5. Add to homemade dog treats that are healthy for your pet and full of ingredients that you can actually pronounce! Try my dog’s favorite recipe!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:00 am 
Forum Legend

I have just switched to K9 Ear Solutions cleaner and CC's ears are very clean. I noticed that over time, T8 Keto was becoming less effective. It does help to switch ear cleaners or alternate as bacteria do become resistant to them.

T8 Keto has been great while I used it. It does not contain alcohol and is very gentle. It's great to wipe her ear flaps with.

I think switching has made a remarkable difference. K9 ear solutions does stain, so best to do it outside or in the tub!