An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Raw Bones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:02 am 
Forum Legend

I am trying to feed Cici a balanced diet of meat, bones, organs etc. I am confused about bones.

I know cooked bones are not safe, but now I read the same stuff about raw bones too. They can choke, need surgery, they can still splinter and cause internal injury.

Of course, there is some risk, but the chewing activity and the marrow is also good for them. How can a dog not get a bone??? :dk

I don't know what to think. Cici enjoys her drumstick bone and finishes it off. She is picky about what kind of bone she gets, too.

Any thoughts on what you have used safely?

Post subject: Re: Raw Bones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:50 am 
Forum Legend

I have no problems, started out with the cut knuckle bone beef bone but I didn't like the saw marks. I stucked it out either chicken anything raw, I love the lamb loin chops. Some times one really have no choice of smaller chops bones and my dog seem to know when to stop if the bone is to hard. I have found long slivers of chicken leg bone that could do some real damage. Lots of people don't like the heavy structured bones like leg would be one, where the thigh or wings are weaker structured bones.

Lets take Adam's cocker that swallowed a peach pit that could had killed his dog. There are dogs out there that swallow rocks all the time and kill themselves. Don't know why.

Most Vets don't like bones for dogs. It's your call! I don't think you will find your answer in here! Just something to ponder what did our great grand parents feed their dogs in the late 1800's, early 1900's before there were Vets and kibble?

Joe

We do buy a frozen dog food called Primal it not pasteurize like most raw dog food, if the meat is red meat it not been preheated. You should add some real sea salt to it's diet also. Your better dog kibble does this! It's like a salt lick for animals extra minerals for good health. NOT TABLE SALT!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Just went to the vet to get her eye checked and asked about chicken bones. Of course, vet said no to chicken bones because they are thinner and can poke the intestinal wall. Sigh. I do realize the risk - I just thought raw was so much safer.

I will try the beef ones from the butcher. I hate to stop the chicken bones because she liked the drumstick bone so much. She doesn't seem to like chicken necks as much. I know dogs vary in their preferences and habits and some don't know when to stop, like you said.

Agreed to the sea salt - I do add a little to her crock pot. She LOVES crock pot food. I officially have a crocker spaniel.

How much sea salt would you say to add? Say I am cooking 5 cups or 40 oz of food?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:17 pm 
Forum Legend

How about a game hen, or chicken wings? Quarter a game hen.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:16 am 
Forum Legend

She doesn't like necks as much and I imagine wings and game hens pose the same risk as a drumstick.

Necks would be great because the bones are tiny and not sharp. I bought a huge pack. But she isn't keen on it even after I chop them up. A whole drumstick - she will deal with it and it disappears.

I know, don't ask :dk :roll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've been feeding raw for 20+ years and I still don't like feeding drumsticks. the edges are just too sharp for my comfort level. The only time I ever feed them is if I have some sort of emergency - on vacation and run out of food etc.
The legs tend to splinter b/c they are weight bearing and therefore harder.

Wings are definitely more flexible. They are also much more expensive though. I used to feed them quite a bit when I could get them for <$0.80/lb but I think that's gone the way of the dinosaur.

Chicken backs are a good option as well as the necks. Turkey necks are great if she likes the crunchy bones. I've also fed pork sternum/chest, pork/beef/goat necks and ribs, duck necks and of course fish.

The other option would be to feed ground food. I started out grinding everything b/c I was nervous of bones and I had gulpers. Its a total PIA compared to just taking a few necks or a chicken back onto the pool deck. And some dogs dont like ground food nearly as much. On the upside it does save freezer space :) And for the ocd who want to make sure that their dog is getting 20% organ mix and 15% veggies etc, its ideal. You can even get a few dozen of those tupperware hamburger containers and make nice premade patties. :gig

You can get a grinder for $100ish that will do an ok job for a 1 dog or 2 smaller ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:25 pm 
Forum Legend

The other option would be to feed ground food. I started out grinding everything b/c I was nervous of bones and I had gulpers. Its a total PIA compared to just taking a few necks or a chicken back onto the pool deck. And some dogs dont like ground food nearly as much. On the upside it does save freezer space :) And for the ocd who want to make sure that their dog is getting 20% organ mix and 15% veggies etc, its ideal. You can even get a few dozen of those tupperware hamburger containers and make nice premade patties. :gig

You can get a grinder for $100ish that will do an ok job for a 1 dog or 2 smaller ones.[/quote]

Great tips about chicken back and pork etc. And the grinder - good idea. I can definitely do that now and then.

Thanks!