An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Scratching
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:57 am 
Forum Legend

This is something I can't quite seem to figure out...

Cici sleeps peacefully all night and naps quietly during the day - no scratching, nothing.

She will sit quietly all night in her crate and then when we wake up, she is excited, greets/jumps around and then goes into a scratching FRENZY until she eats. Then all is well. she scratches her ears, especially the left one, too. Not much, if any scratching at all the rest of the day and night.

Now, first thing I thought...ear infection. Vet checked two weeks ago. Nothing.

Problem is ONLY when she scratches so vigorously does her ear get pink. And then it gets me worried. I apply the ear solution. Her ears are clean. The hair is shaved.

It's like she is causing the problem. Every morning, excited scratching frenzy. INSANE!!!

If she had an infection or an allergy, wouldn't she do it all day or anytime? It doesn't make any sense.

I just checked her ear and it is not red now. It looks normal. I've never experienced an ear infection in the 19-20 months we've had her. but I don't understand her crazy behavior in the morning. :bang

?????

Post subject: Re: Scratching
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:28 am 
Active Forum Member

Jennie sometimes scratches near her ear opening and then licks her foot. It's almost like she is trying to get something off. I will usually flip her hear over her head and scratch the inside of the ear leather and she likes that. I've also used a flea comb to comb around the outside her ear canal and down the inside of the leather. Once or twice, I've cleaned the area with a cotton ball soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Once I've done both ears, she is done scratching the rest of the day. I assume that a bit of ear wax stuck a couple of hairs together and that is making her uncomfortable.

I check her ears every morning both for looks and for smell. She had two ear infections when she was less than 6 months old and hasn't had one since. My vet prescribed Epi-Otic ear cleaner and I use it about every three weeks. I'll probably switch to the Zim cleaner when I've finished this bottle, but I've been using it for about 8 months and I haven't used half of it yet. The last time we were at the vet's I asked them to check her ears. The vet said "these ears are so clean they don't look like a Cocker Spaniel's!".

My own odd issue is that Jennie has started howling and crying when one particular train goes through town. She ignores several others, but this one seems to bother her. She has a high pitched howl and then she'll start in with an even higher pitched series of yowls. She sounds like she is in pain... "ow! ow! ow! ow!"

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:22 am 
Forum Legend

Hi Susan,

So odd!! What's weird is that SHE causes the redness by over-scratching. Something more for me to learn and overcome, I suppose...LOL

I use T8 Keto for her ears, and I use Virbac's shampoo and epi-soothe body lotion/conditioner. I could try the ear cleaner.

I wonder if the ear cleaner's become less effective over time as bacteria get resistant to them. does that happen? I was told not to use one with alcohol as it could over dry the skin by her vet in DC before we moved and T8 Keto has worked well.

Good luck with the trains! The only time Cici howls or shows any kind of separation anxiety is if someone is standing outside in our yard and we are talking to them. She will howl looooong and loud......"owwwwwwwww!"

If we leave in the car, no howling.

We had a landscaper come by once and he thought it was a really big dog ...LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:07 am 
Active Forum Member

Aren't they funny?

Jennie is 14 month old and still has her puppy bark. I'm starting to wonder if it will ever change. My cousin's 8 year old Cocker has a 'whiskey' bark... very deep and husky. She sounds like a much bigger dog than she is! I have another friend with a 4 year old Cocker and she also has a husky sound to her bark. Not Jennie... if she barks inside the house, it hurts my ears!

I do think overuse of ear cleaner can lead to resistant bacteria and fungus. I'm not sure if they only become resistant to medications in the ear cleaner or if they could develop resistance to the drying agents, etc. Better safe than sorry, I think. So I'm careful not to use it more than about every three weeks.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:05 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

It could be behavioural. Some dogs scratch to release emotional tension, one of my dogs does that. Perhaps giving her something to do (like stuffed kong, other interactive toys) during the time that she normally does it might help.

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:50 pm 
Forum Legend

So true, Vera. She is all jazzed up, sometimes more so than other days, in the mornings. It's her way of commanding attention. She pants, scratches and runs around. She wants to be fed and walked NOW.