An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Andis attachment combs vs blades
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:46 pm 
Forum Legend

I am new to grooming. I recently purchased the Andis clippers with size 10 blade, grooming table, and four attachment combs (1/4", 1/2",1/8" and 3/8") and the cooling spray and oil.

I groomed Cici for the second time today now that her back is almost 100% better. A summer cut, a little longer than 1/2 inch all over, with a curly top knot I like on her head.

I know I am still very new to this, but I feel like the attachment combs are not as neat and effective. Is it better to just get the Andis blades or is this simply because I am inexperienced (or both?).

I feel like I have to go over an area several times to get the length I want and it is not as even as if I just use the #10 by itself. But I don't want to go that short all over.

I thought the attachment combs would do the trick. Is it better to just have the blades?

Also, during grooming, how does one clean the blade's teeth? I wipe them, but there is still hair between the teeth that just gets clogged with the spray.

Thanks for your tips. Need to buy curved scissors too!

Post subject: Re: Andis attachment combs vs blades
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I am a novice at grooming too and I started with the Andis clipper and comb set. I found it left 'ridges' in the fur... I could see what direction I was clipping in on every pass. Also, with my mom's Cairn Terrier, her soft undercoat hair would get caught under the comb so I had to keep stopping to clear that out. For Jennie, I got a 4C blade and it gives a much smoother cut with no need to stop as often. The hair ends up about 3/8" long, which I like. Of course, I have to stop to change the blades if I want to trim shorter but I usually just do different sessions for long and close trimming.

My Andis kit came with a little, stiff plastic bristle cleaning brush that you use to clean out the blades. It's pretty well worn by now so I'll be looking for a replacement pretty soon. I'm planning to get this one on Amazon the next time need to place an order:

http://www.amazon.com/Scalpmaster-Clipp ... B000UQDMJA

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:13 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Susan.I used a toothbrush to clean the blade this morning and it worked well. Also good to know about the 4 blade. I think the combs are ok, but I'd rather just work with different size blades, so I will need to buy the 4 and 4F.

I found this very helpful. There is a point here that says the combs don't work so well with #10 - which is why my cut needs a lot of smoothing out now. Thankfully, she looks cute even with an unprofessional cut.. :wk

http://www.progroom.com/catalog/Clipper ... lades.html

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:46 pm 
Forum Legend

You really need a 30 blade with combs. The secret to combs are going over the area a few times. Personally, I prefer diff size blades. I've used both.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:01 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm a rookie, too, even though I've been grooming for years. I had one good dog and now have a bad one, LOL. It's like trying to shave a constantly-moving target.

I, too, prefer a blade to the combs. When you have a wiggly dog like I do, you just can't keep going over and over. On the other hand, I LOVE the look of a cut with combs from someone who knows what they're doing (and that would not be me).

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:23 pm 
Forum Legend

It's the going over and over and over and still not quite even cut that was a bit frustrating. I finally achieved a somewhat even puppy cut, but it was 2.5 hours by the time I was satisfied. I let her lie down and rest for some of it. She is difficult when I have the blade on her face. She just snaps at it or just looks plain irritated.

Now I realize I can't use a #10 blade and combs. I think I am going to get different size blades - so thank you both. You know more than I do!

I did it on a very warm day on my deck and then gave her a bath. The cut, bath and clean up of all the hair and equipment - all probably took 3+ hours. I hope I get faster with time. Part of the reason was that she was quite long in the skirt and hair grows insanely fast in a matter of 3-4 weeks.

ouf! The things we do. It's that uppity face. It will make you do anything.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:42 pm 
Forum Legend

I've been grooming my girls for 6 years. It's still an all day project for me. I would starve if I did grooming for a living. Then again, I guess I could be quite wealthy if I charged by the hour :evil

Get a 7 and a 4 blade. You have a 10. You should be set with those 3. A 4 blade is short but not skinned on the legs. I like it on my girls legs. I also sometimes like a 4 on their body's now and then.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Make sure you use a lube on your blades, the spray is for cooling, it's not a lube. Better than combs is the largest blade you can buy which I think is a 3 3/4. The stainless combs are better than the plastic. I use air in the can to clean the hair off the blades.

Joe

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:24 pm 
Forum Legend

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Make sure you use a lube on your blades, the spray is for cooling, it's not a lube. Better than combs is the largest blade you can buy which I think is a 3 3/4. The stainless combs are better than the plastic. I use air in the can to clean the hair off the blades.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Yes I think the 3 3/4 will also be a good addition. I don't like the legs too close cut. The top and sides shorter during the warm months, but the legs really close cut look a bit weird to me. Esp since she is wavy and curly in places.

When shaving legs, do you go with the direction of hair or against? I find against might be a bit too severe.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Go with the growth on legs, not against. The 3 3/4 is good for longer legs. I think the 3/4 is the longer one. It's too long for me. Mine just sets in the case. The metal combs are definitely better. I hate the plastic ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:03 pm 
Forum Legend

One more question - does one get the skip tooth or finish cut blades in those numbers (3 3/4, 7 and 4). Finish cut is said to give a smoother look. Some groomers I read use both.

What do you use at home?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Since you are new to grooming I would pass on the skip tooth blade, in the wrong hands you can really cut a dog. I was taught by the groomer that I had with my previous dog how to use them.When the groomer took out the 4 skip tooth and I looked at it, I almost decided not to learn, its pretty dangerous looking, but she encouraged me and said everything would be fine, since she was right there with me, She was a red and white parti and I was a very finicky about her cut, and the skip tooth gives a more natural look, the way fur really grows, some long, some short. the blade is only to be used on their backs, and never on their stomachs. When I got Snickie red/buffs are a nightmare to do, I tried the skip tooth didn't like that look on her, used an fc didn't like that look either. So I ended up stripping her back, which gives me the look I want, but again, I am very finicky, about how my dog looks.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:56 pm 
Forum Legend

I only use finish cut. I'm not sure, but don't think they use skip tooth on cockers :dk

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:49 pm 
Forum Legend

It all depends what look your after, my wife likes the ten on the back, I like the seven. I have used a Mars Coat King Stripper at times on the back and sides. I use a ten blade on the under belly and leg pits to prevent matted fir there. Everybody has their likes and dislikes.

One thing is a dog that not afraid of the clippers.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:23 am 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
I only use finish cut. I'm not sure, but don't think they use skip tooth on cockers :dk

Debbie you can use the skip tooth on a CS back, depends on the coat and what the client wants. I personally don't like the clipped look on the back. If you look deep back in the forum like a few years ago,the skip tooth blade was talked about. Anuju has obviously been checking out grooming sites where this is talked about by the groomers. I don't recommend this for a beginner unless someone teaches them, and to be honest in most cases it's not needed. My previous dog had ticking on her back and I wanted it to show up more without really looking like a clipped back, hence the 4 skip tooth, and you can blend in a skirt easier with the skip. Like Joe says, its everyone's personal taste. :sml

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:40 am 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Denise, Joe and Debbie. I will go with the finish blades. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:17 pm 
Forum Legend

There is one more larger blade it's 3 5/8 just short of 3/4 of a inch or 16mm or 3 3/4 is 13mm or 1/2 inch.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:20 am 
Forum Legend

I have ordered my blades! I am so excited. I saw this video on the forum that shows you how to smooth out the legs. I don't dry her, so her legs stay very wavy right now. She hates the dryer and reacts violently to it, and I don't want her back issue to return again). This is basically the cut she used to get at the groomer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_GBPP ... e=youtu.be

In these pictures, I am satisfied with the top knot i think. You can see the unevenness in the legs. I am looking for a good pair of scissors now. I evened them out a bit yesterday with the scissors I have, but they are not very good.

Attachments:
Cici top knot.JPG
Cici top knot.JPG [ 93.48 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]
Cici tongue.JPG
Cici tongue.JPG [ 108.22 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]
Cici legs.JPG
Cici legs.JPG [ 110.48 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]