An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Feeding Bunker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi! I've got a question about adjusting food rations for a dog. Bunker arrived a tad bit on the portly side but he is now a smidge on the too thin side. We've been feeding portions as per the side of the bag (1.5 cups/day) and, when we noticed he was beginning to get a little too slim, we bumped up his rations a little at breakfast time by about 1/6 cup. He has continued to lose weight and is at about 29 pounds -- about 2 - 3 pounds too thin, I think. We just decided to bump him up to a full 1/3 cup extra per day. He gets coconut oil, pumpkin, fish oil, and a glucosamine supplement throughout the day. Any thoughts on how to find the right amount to feed a dog each day without yoyoing between too thick and too thin?

Post subject: Re: Feeding Bunker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

I used this tool to figure out how much to feed Jennie. You need to know how many calories per cup and how much you want your pup to weigh.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feedi ... -dog-food/

Keep in mind you should be able to feel but not see his ribs and he should have a clear waist from above and a 'tuck up' from the side.

Jennie has never eaten the amount that even this tool recommends to maintain her weight and it is about 1/3 less than the dog food bags recommend. But she is very active, her coat and skin looks and feels great and my vet is really pleased with her physical condition. We walk about 3 miles per day and she is leading me as much at the beginning as at the end. Her ribs are not at all visible and I can't really claim to 'feel' them, but I know they are there!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 am 
Forum Legend

29 pounds is an excellence weight, don't over do it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:30 pm 
Forum Legend

how tall is Bunker? 29 lbs doesn't sound too thin to me. My girls would be waddling at that weight. The amount of food you are feeding sounds like plenty maybe even more than most. Has he been checked by a vet to see if all is okay, maybe blood work?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, everyone. I'm not terribly worried about Bunk's weight but he went into rescue overweight and has steadily lost about 15 pounds and I feel it's a pound or two too much. I can feel every knob on his spine now and just want to bump him up a little bit, just enough to pad his spine a bit but not enough to take his waist away. It's just the tricky bit of trying to get him the exact amount of food without making him too fat. I've never had a dog whose metabolism didn't exactly match the portions recommended on the bag.

I'll keep you posted!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:30 pm 
Forum Legend

... 15 lbs in about 6 weeks? That's a lot of weight lose for a 7 year old cocker, especially because he is still losing and his spine is showing. I think I'd be making a vet appointment. Just sayin'

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:30 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Shawn,
Lots depends on Bunker's height. 29 pounds on my pups would be way too much. Echo weighed in at about 19 lbs last week, and my biggest guy weighs 25 pounds.
I only feed 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day for my Cockers, calorie count is about 350 calories per cup. Course they get a few treats during the day as well. Lol!

But, I too think feeling or seeing Bunker's spine may mean 29 pounds is a bit too thin for him.
If you increase his food intake and don't see some improvement in a week or so, I would take Bunker in for a vet visit.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 am 
Active Forum Member

Chris Gomes wrote:
... 15 lbs in about 6 weeks? That's a lot of weight lose for a 7 year old cocker, especially because he is still losing and his spine is showing. I think I'd be making a vet appointment. Just sayin'

Bunk didn't lose 15 pounds in 6 weeks but I would be really worried if he had! He was surrendered in December in California and moved to Oregon in January. He lost the weight through controlled portions, no snacks and exercise over three months. Before we got him in February, he was fostered for 6 weeks here in Oregon with a vet who did his surgery and monitored his recovery. The rescue ran extensive blood panels, took xrays and cleaned his teeth, too. My vet says the records he received indicate Bunk is in excellent condition with no immediate health concerns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 am 
Active Forum Member

Marianne E wrote:
Shawn,
Lots depends on Bunker's height. 29 pounds on my pups would be way too much. Echo weighed in at about 19 lbs last week, and my biggest guy weighs 25 pounds.
I only feed 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day for my Cockers, calorie count is about 350 calories per cup. Course they get a few treats during the day as well. Lol!

But, I too think feeling or seeing Bunker's spine may mean 29 pounds is a bit too thin for him.
If you increase his food intake and don't see some improvement in a week or so, I would take Bunker in for a vet visit.

Thanks, Marianne! I haven't measured him but he's lots bigger than Lola and she is a nice slim 20 pounds. He's so WIDE -- he looks like a pit bull wrapped up in Cocker fur! I'll have to post a photo of their backsides when we go out on a walk. She looks like a svelte supermodel and he looks like a lineman!

Lola receives 1 cup/day -- not sure what the calorie count is -- and Bunk receives 1.5 cups/day which I've bumped up by a little over an additional 1/3 cup a day. We're already seeing a little improvement. He seems a little more happy, less anxious. I'll keep everyone posted!

Shawn