An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Finally Zoey got a bath
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:54 am 
Forum Legend

But I really need new scissors. Can any one recommend all purpose for dog grooming that won't break the bank?
Thanks
Becky
She is resting after her sesson with the blow dryer. I still need to tidy up legs and Zoeys least favorite feet! surrounded by my sons toys

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 71.6 KiB | Viewed 1271 times ]

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

Post subject: Re: Finally Zoey got a bath
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:49 pm 
Forum Legend

Middle price range

www.groomersmall.com/heritage.htm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:16 am 
Forum Legend

If that doesn't make your budget then look for something made in Pakistan or India to China, in that order. I got mine made in USA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:

A question that I have is what do you use curved blades or offest handles for? Would you want three pairs of scissors or are they all just more of a personal preference?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:05 pm 
Forum Legend

The first pair of scissors I bought, 21 years ago, are still my favorites: curved blade, and ball tip (ball tip because I was brand new to grooming and had a crazy-hyper 6 month old puppy- I didn't want to worry about accidentally poking her with a sharp point). They fit my hand really well- I have small hands- and are just very comfortable to use. They sharpen up really nicely. I think I paid about $24. for them at a grooming supply store in Sacramento CA, but then again, that was 21 years ago.

I'd recommend, if at all possible, that you try holding several different pairs. They have different weights overall, and different lengths, and are weighted differently, i.e. some seem to have more weight near the finger holes and some are weighted further down the blade. I find it makes a big difference in how easy they are to use. (go to a show and check out the scissors. take notes, then buy them on line for the best price- unless there is a wonderful show price- yes, it happens once in a while)

I love curved scissors: they make nice bells on the feet, make trimming the hair around and between the pads easier, cut a nice round at the end of the tail, and make a nice shape at the bottoms of ears, when I just can't stand the length getting into everything and want to go shorter for a while.

I bought good straight shears at a show a couple of years ago, and have hardly used them. My Andis clippers with 10, 7, 7FC blades and my curved scissors do most of the cutting work on my dogs.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm 
Forum Legend

As I was told by our friendly lady from Sandy, Ore. there are no straight lines on a cocker, so the curve is the only way to go if you were to buy anything at all, GET THE CURVED!

I'm a man I need the large eye's for fat fingers so I bought a 100 year old Horse Fetlock Shears made by Sears, they are HUGE! Had them sharpened was told this is a great metal for shears, that is why I bought them they don't make metal like that today. Use them on the legs and paws bells.

Then I got the heritage curved 71/2 curve made in USA, love those to use between the pads that the Oster A 5 ten blade misses plus around the feet. The third is the thinning shears. We do have a blunt end straight that my wife uses over the other two. Cheap over 35 years old our first scissor. The blunt end shears are for working around the eyes. My Ollver is well trained don't need a lope to keep him still but he will sit at times on me.

Clipper blades 10, 7f, 4FC, and a 5/8 blade. 10 and 7 used on the back summer and winter, I like the 7 all the time but the boss likes the 10 cut on the back. The 4F for the head.

The best test is going to a dog show and test the scissors there for eye holes fitting your hand. See what you would like to use. This can't be done on the net.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, Joe and Chris. I'm terrified of using scissors. Lola and Bunk are reasonably well behaved on the stand but they don't stand still. I might just stick with doing a terrible job with clippers for a while and graduating to scissors later when I'm slightly less terrified.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I know just what you mean! I can't use scissors anywhere except around Jennie's feet and nether regions. I haven't had the courage to try to get between her paw pads yet.

I have the short blade, round end scissors that you can get at major pet stores. They may not be as good at making the rounded feet look great, but I have enough confidence with them because of the round end. I know I won't be poking my little sweetie with them! Even so, I still worry about lopping off something important!

One thing I have found to help is I use a "slip leash" around Jennie's waist when I need to control both ends. I put it around her waist and then tie the leash to the arm on my grooming table. The main loop goes around her neck. I only use the leash when I want to work on parts of her that are hard to reach when she sits down. She can't do that if I tie the leash at the right height. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

I know that whatever Jennie looks like when I get done with her is a trade off for the time and anxiety of a professional grooming job. She looks great right now having been to a really good groomer, but she was there for almost 4 hours and they gave me a list of things to work on with her... like not trying to take the tools out of their hands when they are trying to work on her. That's my fault for letting her have one brush while I work on her with the other!

Seriously, when I took her in I didn't realise that she had a major mat issue. She is losing her puppy coat (at about 10-11 months) and she had lots of small 'knots' near the skin. They could have spent hours trying to unsnarl them but they recommended instead that they shave her body down to keep the stress level to a minimum. I wish I had known to ask for that to begin with but the end results was good.

So, based on my limited experience, I will keep grooming her myself most of the time and then take her to a good groomer 3-4 times a year. Hopefully they will correct anything that I have missed but I'll get to take care of most of her grooming needs in the interim.

One thing my breeder asked me to do when I picked up Jennie was to handle her feet, face and tail every day so she got used to it. That was great advice but I would say now to handle them as if you were going to groom them, spread the paw pads, touch and hold the nails, lift the tail and hold it up, and check the teeth and gums every day. I do that now but even with all my earlier work Jennie didn't like me opening her mouth and looking at her teeth to begin with... or poking my fingers between her paw pads.

Being a great ACS mom is a work in progress but luckily my little one is very sweet... all is forgiven for a snuggle, cuddle or a yummy treat!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am 
Forum Legend

Attachment:
shears 001.jpg
shears 001.jpg [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 1141 times ]

This is my fetlock shears sorry for the double but you get the idea.

Attachments:
shears 001.jpg
shears 001.jpg [ 58.91 KiB | Viewed 1141 times ]