An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Puppy Proofing!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 am 
Active Forum Member

It has been more than fifteen years since I have had a puppy in my home, but in five short weeks, I will be bringing home this little girl:

Attachment:
Thurs. pix 007.JPG
Thurs. pix 007.JPG [ 181.08 KiB | Viewed 1012 times ]

Her name is Lily. Since age six I have always had a cocker spaniel in my life and since my beautiful Heidi passed away this past Fall, something is definitely missing. While Heidi can never be replaced, I cannot wait to bring Lily home as it doesn't feel like home without a dog in it.

Still, as it has been so long since I have had a puppy, I am working on puppy proofing and thought I would come to the experts (you all!) for advice. So far I have bought outlet covers and zip-tied as many cords as possible and am going to buy masking tape to keep them as far away and off the ground as possible. I have also bought trashcans with lids for the bathroom and bought a latch to keep the under-the-sink cabinet where I keep kitchen trash and cleaning products closed from a prying puppy face and prying puppy paws.

What am I missing? What did you do to puppy-proof your home? Any and all advice is requested!

Post subject: Re: Puppy Proofing!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Hmm, let's see... I was just telling my grandsons about this. My first cocker was 5.5 months old when I brought her home (a "failed" show dog- she hated to be paraded around: tucked her tail and pouted). In the first couple of weeks she destroyed about $800. worth of things, and I thought I'd done a good job with the puppy proofing. Computer cords, phone cords- we still had corded phones back then, and it only takes one quick bite of sharp puppy teeth to go right through a cord- remotes for both the TV and VCR (yes, this was 21 years ago): 2 pairs of prescription sunglasses (belonged to visitors, who would not listen when I said not to leave them on the coffee table), an expensive leather backpack (another clueless visitor- I had offered a safe closet shelf). Bathroom rugs, throw rug in my bedroom- all well chewed, all four corners! And a throw pillow off the couch that fell on the floor- anything on or accessible from the floor was fair game in her mind.
Oh, yeah, and 2 leashes, before I learned I had to hold them straight up so she couldn't bite them.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Looks like you are on the right track puppyproofing what needs to be done. Some people don't even think about the need to puppyproof their home for safety. I imagine myself as a puppy and walk around my house and see what would look fun to chew on, and then remove that danger. If you live in a multistory you will want a gate to put on the stairs. You may also want to use the gate to confine her in the kitchen on vinyl flooring at times.

I am sorry about Heidi, we have all been there and it is so hard. Lily is beautiful and while she will never replace Heidi, she will fill that hole in your heart. Spring is here and it is always fun watching the new puppies grow on the forum!

Chris, sounds like you had your hands full with that one! I also had it with Nicky(golden/setter)-he was a puppy for 5 years! And when he grew he could reach everything I put up high. He even got my contact lens case out of the bathroom and chewed that(no I did not look for the lenses when they came out-these were the hard contacts back then!)

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 am 
Active Forum Member

I agree you need to put yourself in her paws to see what might look tasty to a puppy. I have lost three books (one cloth bound and 2 paperbacks) to Jennie's love for paper. And I found that one of my small bookshelf/end tables allowed just the corner of the book on either end to be accessible, so I now have two books with puppy-tooth-prints on their bottom corners. I would actually recommend that you crawl around the area (or at least sit on the floor to see what she can see). My coffee table is bare and all newspapers, magazines, etc have to live on tall surfaces. Toilet paper now sits on the toilet tank. All waste baskets are either in a cupboard or are lidded (and now face the wall since she had figured out how to lift the lids!)

In addition to her paper addition, Jennie also likes to chew on wood. She sampled the leg of my grandparent's antique radio and a plant stand. Luckily, I caught her quickly and the damage was minimal.

She played many games of tug-a-war with the long curtains and steals every towel within her reach. Several of them have been designated for her use only. I put one down on each of her favorite places to lay so my carpet doesn't develop a Jennie-shaped smudge.

I had installed puppy-gates to keep her out of the living room and away from the front door for the first few months. I used an exercise pen and her crate as her home within the home when she was really little. Then as she got older, I took the ex-pen apart and used two sections together as easy-to-move temporary walls. They have worked great and I'm still using them even tho she is almost grownup at 11 months.

If you have a cat, be sure to puppy proof their eating area and little box.

Enjoy your little one... she is beautiful! :love

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh, how could I have forgotten the paper obsession?! And the trash cans, Oh My! I finally gave up and covered a hanging planter to put on the wall in the bathroom for trash. The TP got installed high on the wall. The kitchen can sat on the counter until meals were cleaned up, then it was emptied daily and put in the garage. I had been in the habit of sorting graded papers on the floor, Feather cured me of that in one evening! I learned not to leave books on my nightstand or the coffee- er, DOG- table, and the bottom shelf of one bookcase still has little puppy teeth marks in it. She LOVED to chew paper!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love