The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 am
Posts: 12
Location: Glendale, CA
Good morning alls. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this cherry eye thing that a lot of dogs are prone to. I noticed that about 2 days ago, my 4 month old pup came down with a cherry eye. I can recall that this happened once before, but we were able to massage it into place which worked last time. This time around unfortunately it's not working. I did notice months ago that he had droopy eyelids on the bottom side (possibly due to mom/dad having similar eyes). Unfortunately I did not see the parents when I got the puppy. My vet talked about surgery for the droopy eyelids, but only when he grows up a little. He had his last booster shots a week and a half ago and I asked my vet about the eyelids and he prescribed the opthalmic gel shown in the photo below. I did do a lot of research online and read the information about the cherry issue that cockers have on this website. I'm paranoid about putting Archie through surgery, as I'm worried about the dry eye impact that he will have his entire life. So last night we gave him a bath to make sure he's all clean and the facial area was all clean as well. Once we blow dried him, we put a couple of drops of that Conquer Hy-Optic solution and followed it up with the Neomycin gel.I took a picture of him this AM and hopefully someone can shine a light onto this topic and help me find alternatives to eye surgery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that my vet will without a doubt want to put him under the knife, but I want to avoid surgery.


Attachments:
rsz_11.jpg
rsz_11.jpg [ 269.74 KiB | Viewed 1631 times ]
rsz_72.jpg
rsz_72.jpg [ 260.87 KiB | Viewed 1631 times ]

_________________
Archie born on 11/23/2014
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:20 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 401
Archie wrote:
Good morning alls. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this cherry eye thing that a lot of dogs are prone to. I noticed that about 2 days ago, my 4 month old pup came down with a cherry eye. I can recall that this happened once before, but we were able to massage it into place which worked last time. This time around unfortunately it's not working. I did notice months ago that he had droopy eyelids on the bottom side (possibly due to mom/dad having similar eyes). Unfortunately I did not see the parents when I got the puppy. My vet talked about surgery for the droopy eyelids, but only when he grows up a little. He had his last booster shots a week and a half ago and I asked my vet about the eyelids and he prescribed the opthalmic gel shown in the photo below. I did do a lot of research online and read the information about the cherry issue that cockers have on this website. I'm paranoid about putting Archie through surgery, as I'm worried about the dry eye impact that he will have his entire life. So last night we gave him a bath to make sure he's all clean and the facial area was all clean as well. Once we blow dried him, we put a couple of drops of that Conquer Hy-Optic solution and followed it up with the Neomycin gel.I took a picture of him this AM and hopefully someone can shine a light onto this topic and help me find alternatives to eye surgery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that my vet will without a doubt want to put him under the knife, but I want to avoid surgery.


didn't read that carefully enough, have you seen the video's where they tuck it back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLJF7Y3qKbg

Bit scary but worth a shot if you want to avoid surgery.


Last edited by James on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:27 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 1465
James wrote:
Archie wrote:
Good morning alls. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this cherry eye thing that a lot of dogs are prone to. I noticed that about 2 days ago, my 4 month old pup came down with a cherry eye. I can recall that this happened once before, but we were able to massage it into place which worked last time. This time around unfortunately it's not working. I did notice months ago that he had droopy eyelids on the bottom side (possibly due to mom/dad having similar eyes). Unfortunately I did not see the parents when I got the puppy. My vet talked about surgery for the droopy eyelids, but only when he grows up a little. He had his last booster shots a week and a half ago and I asked my vet about the eyelids and he prescribed the opthalmic gel shown in the photo below. I did do a lot of research online and read the information about the cherry issue that cockers have on this website. I'm paranoid about putting Archie through surgery, as I'm worried about the dry eye impact that he will have his entire life. So last night we gave him a bath to make sure he's all clean and the facial area was all clean as well. Once we blow dried him, we put a couple of drops of that Conquer Hy-Optic solution and followed it up with the Neomycin gel.I took a picture of him this AM and hopefully someone can shine a light onto this topic and help me find alternatives to eye surgery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that my vet will without a doubt want to put him under the knife, but I want to avoid surgery.


You should be along way off surgery try this method, you will need a bit of practice and it may return a couple of times for a week or so. Hopefully it will settle down and that will be that, I did this 4 years ago and after the 1st week it has never returned a change of diet may help to tighten up connective tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_O66KHZ2s8

There are plenty of videos if you get stuck you may think it isn't going to work after a few tries, keep trying and all of a sudden it will pop back. (If it can come out it can go back in).


James is right about diet, we are the only ones that say this as we are out cast, in here. I would find a frozen raw by Primal.

Nearest store near you. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 401
Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
James wrote:
Archie wrote:
Good morning alls. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this cherry eye thing that a lot of dogs are prone to. I noticed that about 2 days ago, my 4 month old pup came down with a cherry eye. I can recall that this happened once before, but we were able to massage it into place which worked last time. This time around unfortunately it's not working. I did notice months ago that he had droopy eyelids on the bottom side (possibly due to mom/dad having similar eyes). Unfortunately I did not see the parents when I got the puppy. My vet talked about surgery for the droopy eyelids, but only when he grows up a little. He had his last booster shots a week and a half ago and I asked my vet about the eyelids and he prescribed the opthalmic gel shown in the photo below. I did do a lot of research online and read the information about the cherry issue that cockers have on this website. I'm paranoid about putting Archie through surgery, as I'm worried about the dry eye impact that he will have his entire life. So last night we gave him a bath to make sure he's all clean and the facial area was all clean as well. Once we blow dried him, we put a couple of drops of that Conquer Hy-Optic solution and followed it up with the Neomycin gel.I took a picture of him this AM and hopefully someone can shine a light onto this topic and help me find alternatives to eye surgery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that my vet will without a doubt want to put him under the knife, but I want to avoid surgery.


You should be along way off surgery try this method, you will need a bit of practice and it may return a couple of times for a week or so. Hopefully it will settle down and that will be that, I did this 4 years ago and after the 1st week it has never returned a change of diet may help to tighten up connective tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_O66KHZ2s8

There are plenty of videos if you get stuck you may think it isn't going to work after a few tries, keep trying and all of a sudden it will pop back. (If it can come out it can go back in).


James is right about diet, we are the only ones that say this as we are out cast, in here. I would find a frozen raw by Primal.

Nearest store near you. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php


Are you saying its hard to get back? that usually a good sign, if you mange it should hold.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:16 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 am
Posts: 12
Location: Glendale, CA
James wrote:
Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
James wrote:
Archie wrote:
Good morning alls. I am trying to gather as much information as I can about this cherry eye thing that a lot of dogs are prone to. I noticed that about 2 days ago, my 4 month old pup came down with a cherry eye. I can recall that this happened once before, but we were able to massage it into place which worked last time. This time around unfortunately it's not working. I did notice months ago that he had droopy eyelids on the bottom side (possibly due to mom/dad having similar eyes). Unfortunately I did not see the parents when I got the puppy. My vet talked about surgery for the droopy eyelids, but only when he grows up a little. He had his last booster shots a week and a half ago and I asked my vet about the eyelids and he prescribed the opthalmic gel shown in the photo below. I did do a lot of research online and read the information about the cherry issue that cockers have on this website. I'm paranoid about putting Archie through surgery, as I'm worried about the dry eye impact that he will have his entire life. So last night we gave him a bath to make sure he's all clean and the facial area was all clean as well. Once we blow dried him, we put a couple of drops of that Conquer Hy-Optic solution and followed it up with the Neomycin gel.I took a picture of him this AM and hopefully someone can shine a light onto this topic and help me find alternatives to eye surgery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know that my vet will without a doubt want to put him under the knife, but I want to avoid surgery.


You should be along way off surgery try this method, you will need a bit of practice and it may return a couple of times for a week or so. Hopefully it will settle down and that will be that, I did this 4 years ago and after the 1st week it has never returned a change of diet may help to tighten up connective tissues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_O66KHZ2s8

There are plenty of videos if you get stuck you may think it isn't going to work after a few tries, keep trying and all of a sudden it will pop back. (If it can come out it can go back in).


James is right about diet, we are the only ones that say this as we are out cast, in here. I would find a frozen raw by Primal.

Nearest store near you. http://www.primalpetfoods.com/locator/index.php


Are you saying its hard to get back? that usually a good sign, if you mange it should hold.



As far as the diet goes, we've been mainly feeding him the Castor & Pollux Organix Puppy food (Chicken, Brown Rice & Flax). We sometimes give him raw baby carrots, celery sticks, peeled pieces of cucumber, peeled apples. A couple of days ago I gave him a handful blueberries. I'm trying to recall what we did on the day that we noticed he had the cherry eye, is that we had his head out of the window in the car and maybe the wind played a role in that? I read somewhere that you should never touch that tear sack that came out of his eyelid? Is that true? Oh man I imagine the panic Archie will go into when we try to put a swab into his eye and pop that sack back in. He's certainly not a calm dog, as he panics every time we have to put the eye gel and clean his ears. Yesterday's bath resulted in my wife's hands getting bitten during the blow drying process. :lol2

_________________
Archie born on 11/23/2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:28 am 
Offline
I Rescued A Cocker!
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 pm
Posts: 2215
Location: Brentwood, CA and Vida, OR
Check out this topic.
Scroll down, there is one or two videos on how to massage a Cherry eye back in.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... =35&t=8356

_________________
Marianne E
Louie 02/15/2002
Cooper 12/07/07
Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:40 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 am
Posts: 1729
Location: New England (CT)
If you can massage the cherry eye back in easily ... go for it, but do realize that you can cause further damage, as in a tear in the membrane. Personally, no matter how much I like or trust a vet, I would always have eye surgery done by an ophthalmologist. There are easy (cheaper) methods of repairing cherry eye, and more expensive ways of creating a pocket and tucking the gland back in place. Also, many people don't know that damage can be done to our dog's eyes during any routine anesthesia. With my boy, we had a tumor removed from his foot. Not long after that, his vet said that he seems to have developed a cataract. I immediately brought Oliver to the ophthalmologist for a "second opinion," knowing that there have been no known cases of cataracts in his line, and that his breeder would want to be notified. Well, to shorten the story, the ophthalmologist examined Ollie and asked if he'd had any recent surgery. It seems like this happens far more frequently then we realize, and most vets can not tell the difference between the two eye conditions.

_________________
Cindy and Oliver invite you to visit:
http://www.BandanaCentral.com

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:53 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 am
Posts: 12
Location: Glendale, CA
Cindy wrote:
If you can massage the cherry eye back in easily ... go for it, but do realize that you can cause further damage, as in a tear in the membrane. Personally, no matter how much I like or trust a vet, I would always have eye surgery done by an ophthalmologist. There are easy (cheaper) methods of repairing cherry eye, and more expensive ways of creating a pocket and tucking the gland back in place. Also, many people don't know that damage can be done to our dog's eyes during any routine anesthesia. With my boy, we had a tumor removed from his foot. Not long after that, his vet said that he seems to have developed a cataract. I immediately brought Oliver to the ophthalmologist for a "second opinion," knowing that there have been no known cases of cataracts in his line, and that his breeder would want to be notified. Well, to shorten the story, the ophthalmologist examined Ollie and asked if he'd had any recent surgery. It seems like this happens far more frequently then we realize, and most vets can not tell the difference between the two eye conditions.


I am fully against putting the dog through anesthesia, or surgery of any kind, unless if it's life threatening. I am reluctant about taking him to the vet, at least just yet. I'll only take him for a consultations and a checkup, but other than that, I'll need to find a good opthalmologist. Anyone know of any good one's in the LA area? If a surgery is requred, I want the easiest option done, with no/minimal anesthesia. I can't subject a 4 month old pup through all the crap that the vets say. Only thing that's worrying me now is if I wait, will it harm Archie more that it'll do good for him?

Is there a topical anesthetic that I can buy that's safe enough for the eye? I know that it's RX only, which means that I can't get them outside of the vets clinic and online, and have it shipped to me in CA.

_________________
Archie born on 11/23/2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:32 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 am
Posts: 1729
Location: New England (CT)
I'm on the east coast, and have been fortunate to have had an amazing ophthalmologist for my dogs -- calm and gentle and knows her stuff; I'm sure others, close to you, can share some names. Most vet's claim that cherry eye is cosmetic and doesn't bother the dog. Our ophthalmologist states otherwise. The one thing you should watch for is your pup rubbing or scratching the area ... that can cause infections and other issues. As for anesthetics, I agree that it should be use sparingly, but anesthetics have come a long way and in general are not as dangerous as they once were. I would always have a full blood work-up done before any animal (or human family member) done before surgery. I would be careful using any kind of numbing gels or drops ... your dog could scratch and not realize it.

We have a long history with my dog's eyes ... and eye surgeries. Ollie was born without tear ducts. When being examined by our vet when he was a puppy, the vet accidentally tore the membrane and popped a cherry eye. We found an amazing ophthalmologist about and hour from home. Oliver underwent micro-surgery when he was about five months old to create tear ducts, and then to have his cherry eye corrected using the pocket method (so well done that you'd never guess a couple of days later). After the first surgeries, Oliver's face grew and filled out, and caused the eyelids to slightly turn in, a development of the earlier surgeries) and a couple of lashes to rub on his eye ... another correction was needed. I was a wreck for the first surgery, but after I saw how careful they were, and the care and treatment my dog got, and how Oliver loved the doctor and staff, I was far more trusting for the other surgeries.

If you have a good vet, to avoid unnecessary anesthesia, have him/her teach you how to brush your dog's teeth and to scale them. I never thought I'd be able to scale my dog's teeth myself without sedation (for both of us!) but it's not that hard, and my dog doesn't mind. I only do one or two teeth at a time every month or so. No more being put out for dental work.

_________________
Cindy and Oliver invite you to visit:
http://www.BandanaCentral.com

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:54 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 266
Location: Riverside, CA
Eye Care for Animals in Pasadena, CA is a great place. Dr Hoffman is outstanding, she did the cherry eye surgery on Karlie at about 9 months and we never had another problem with her eyes. Dr Hoffman has also done cataract surgery on my mom's boy and he to did really well. I have the girls eyes checked by her about every two years just to make sure we don't see anything starting up. Although it's a little pricey I've always felt their eyes are worth the cost. If you happen to have Embrace Pet Insurance they do cover cherry eye surgery. Very Highly recommend

_________________
Becky proud mama to:
M&B's Frog Princess Karlie Bug -CGC, CL1, CL2 , TN-N, NJC, RN, NAJ, NF,
M&B's Monkey See Monkey Do Kaitlyn Lu - Puppy Star, CGC, RN, CLF-1. CLH-1, CLS-1


Buffy Amber Frost 1/16/80 - 7/3/95


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:58 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 am
Posts: 12
Location: Glendale, CA
BeckyH wrote:
Eye Care for Animals in Pasadena, CA is a great place. Dr Hoffman is outstanding, she did the cherry eye surgery on Karlie at about 9 months and we never had another problem with her eyes. Dr Hoffman has also done cataract surgery on my mom's boy and he to did really well. I have the girls eyes checked by her about every two years just to make sure we don't see anything starting up. Although it's a little pricey I've always felt their eyes are worth the cost. If you happen to have Embrace Pet Insurance they do cover cherry eye surgery. Very Highly recommend


Becky you are awesome. I never heard of that insurance, but I'm going to look into it. Thanks a lot for all of the advices. For the time being I'm going to just put the antiseptic eye gel and see if the inflamation goes away so we can pop that tear sack back in. I'm going to refrain from touching his eye for the next few days. One thing I want to find out though, is it safe to kinda pat down his eye with warm organic chamomile tea applied on a gauze pad? I know that my mom used to treat a lot of eye infections with chamomile tea when I was a kid. Chamomile is a natural antiseptic and I was thinking if it's safe for Archie's eye.

_________________
Archie born on 11/23/2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:55 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm
Posts: 1465
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41OhwW-MdK0

Dr. Karen Becker


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Archie got a major cherry eye
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:00 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm
Posts: 1309
Location: NH
Riley had 2 cherry eyes when he was young-1 started at around 4 months and the other just started at around 5 months. I had both of them fixed when he was neutered-vet did the pocket method and they both look awesome. I am lucky that my vet is very experienced in these surgeries-he also did both patellas on Riley. I only trust him to work on my dogs, none of the others in the practice.

I had the free AKC insurance(free when you register w AKC) for 60 days and the cherry eyes were covered under that so I lucked out-I cannot remember how much I paid but they covered the eyes, bloodwork, anesthesia, etc and all I had to pay for was the neuter!

Good luck with getting Archie's eye fixed, Riley's cherry was not nearly that big and I was able to always massage it back in, but it would never stay in. Archie sure is a cutie!

_________________
Callie, Casey & Riley

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
This forum is owned and operated by:  Jim Zimmerlin  
Donations to help pay for our web server costs can be made here