An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Clipper Failure!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:45 am 
Forum Legend

Oliver has been feeling particularly eager for a haircut the past few weeks, as the spring weather sends temperatures soaring once again. I know he's uncomfortable in his long winter coat, so I went to give him a haircut this morning, only for my clippers to give out a few minutes into the cut. We're sporting a pretty ridiculous look at the moment. :lol2

Anyway, I purchased my clippers about 2.5 years ago, and I only use them once every few weeks to trim up his face. (Andis AGC 2-speed) The big haircuts probably happen once every few months. In clipper life, I don't think that's particularly rigorous usage, right? I also make certain to oil the blades and use the disinfectant/lubricant spray on top of the oiling. I've noticed the motor sounded like it was dragging a little bit last time I used them, but I wasn't certain. I think if anything perhaps oil/spray reached the motor itself, which I know is a no-no.

Now for the advice:

A) What steps should I take to ensure my clippers enjoy a nice long life?

B) Is it worth investing in replacing the motor, or should I simply spring for a new pair of clippers? I know several of you are big fans of the cordless Wahl options. What is the price discrepancy between buying a new pair and replacing a motor?

Thanks so much for the input!

Post subject: Re: Clipper Failure!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:23 am 
Forum Legend

Could it be a switch, brushes?

Northern Tails videos http://northerntails.com/instructionalvideos.html

The youtube video is what you need?
Youttube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptel6JdQXdY

Always have a can or two of compressed air around to clean the clipper I do changing blades.

35 years on our Oster A5 single speed with same brushes. Things changed after companies went global, quality is way down.

Me I would buy a used A5 on Ebay and rebuild it myself, only single speed as one older man told me fancy two speed more problems.

New Andis Clipper Parts Switch fits all AGC 2-Speed Clippers item 22681 (ebay) strange no brush set.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend

If you don't want to try to fix your broken clipper, I'll pay for the shipping to me. Using USPS in one of their free boxes.

I'll replace the switch first and go from there.

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 pm 
Forum Legend

Adam, ok, I know this is going to sound hokey, but here's what I did in a similar- heck, no Identical- circumstance. I took the housing off, carefully wiped out the hair and dust, put it all back together, and turn it on! YES! It worked! and continued to work for several more years. See, I told you it was hokey, and may not work, but it's worth a try.

(PS- Being in rescue work at the time, my clippers got a whole lot more of a workout than yours do)

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 am 
Forum Legend

So sit at a table with a towel start to remove the housing put your small screws on the towel so parts don't roll, as you remove left to right. If you have a volt ohm meter this should help in finding your problem. From a bad chord to a switch to power to the armature. Those brushes don't sound like a great material. Look up those parts but if you have the box and paper work there could some help there. You might even have a diagram what the clipper looks like apart with part numbers or on the internet.
Clean all parts put some good grease where there is movement, and don't forget that can air to spry clean the clipper and blades after using the clipper on Oliver.

Broken clippers go on Ebay for 65 dollars. Same reason I would like your clipper if you want to toss it away. If they are broken you can break it any worse.

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I would write to Andis ... their clippers should last a lot longer if you are only grooming one dog.

Marsha (on the Zim forum) and her husband professionally clean and repair clippers and sharpen blades ... I've used them for both repairs and blade sharpening, and was very pleased with the job they did, the quick turn around time, and reasonable price. You can't get better, personal service elsewhere.

I too, had clippers give out in the middle of grooming, and ended up scissor cutting the rest of the job ... not the prettiest job at the time.

*** Added link to Marsha's webpage -- http://www.shavershop.com

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:39 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes sometimes a very nice letter works some times.
Diagram
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/andis/AGC2_(SUPPER)_WW_1.gif
search engine: Andis AGC2 Parts List and Diagram - (SUPER)

I would guess look for a poor solder job, popular part is Pc Board, 2-Spd 120V Agc/Bgc

$13.79 sounds like they replace a lot of theses boards, for under 14 dollars.

Another tear down video of Andis clipper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPOT2VUMi8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:24 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you Adam, as I took apart my Oster A5 and either I just cleaned out over 35 plus years of dog fur or 5 years ago it wasn't done on the paid last service. So this could had been a long time over heating problem with no air flow over the armature . Thought I had a set of brushes but could not find them, I ordered them today, but they could be OK. It's hard to tell in the video's. I do know they have never been replaced.

Thanks for getting me going on a major clean up and lube and fur removal. Lots of packed hair and the clipper could not cool its self. Maybe that was the strange noises at times, getting to HOT! Saved me a motor or new clipper.

I'll tell anyone that reads this only use the higher speed if needed that is really to hard on the motors and blades. We still have a working Eureka upright from the early 70's and a repair person was shocked it still had the original motor. That was 15 years ago. Just using the low speed. Same brushes.

Joe

No filters in the end cap so the clipped fur or hair gets pulled into the clipper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Our "go to" professional is Marsha Ok from the forum. Her website (http://www.shavershop.com/) is great but you can call her and be the recipient of her expertise. She knows shavers, parts and scissors AND cocker spaniels!

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 am 
Forum Legend

After rebuilding the old Oster A5 giving Ollie a hair cut, I have dog hair in the eyes this hasn't happened in over thirty years. Next time safety glasses. :cool